Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #106
Veteran Member
Anton Magus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Durban, South Africa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 355
Congrats to Ivoire and the three winners. Good contest and worthy winners from a wide field of good submissions.

02-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #107
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,683
Congrats to the winners and thanks to Ivoire.

I didn't want to raise this before the contest was judged, but I would like to open this can of worms now:

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
8. Post processing is fine.
I think heavy processing, (e.g. HDR, stitching), should be excluded from the contest. Heavy processing is not in line with "point & shoot" and overcomes the limitations of small sensors and fixed lenses.
02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #108
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Congrats to the winners and thanks to Ivoire.

I didn't want to raise this before the contest was judged, but I would like to open this can of worms now:



I think heavy processing, (e.g. HDR, stitching), should be excluded from the contest. Heavy processing is not in line with "point & shoot" and overcomes the limitations of small sensors and fixed lenses.
I agree, somewhat, that the heavy processing is not in keeping with the spirit of Point and Shoot. Were it up to me, I'd say exposure adjustment, crop, and rotate are allowed, possibly color correction (correcting white balance), but nothing more. I have used these tools in the past to get a picture I took to become the picture I wanted to take, though the output was not terribly widely varied from what I saw in the finder. However, I don't really think HDR and panoramic stitching is in keeping with the "point and shoot" thing.

I would also allow in-camera post processing for digital cameras, since they tend to have some pretty neat tools built in, and it certainly isn't unreasonable to think someone might still consider it point and shoot if they just have to press a few buttons to get what they want right on the screen. I may be willing to extend this allowance for in-camera tools to in-camera HDR, and in-camera panoramic stitching and "Panorama sweep".
02-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #109
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,338
Do we have a topic for the next contest?

02-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #110
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Do we have a topic for the next contest?
Frission says contest 51 will be posted today.

the winner makes the rules. that is main perk of winning!

And once again, thanks to all of you for your participation and excellent entries. It is all of you that make this so much fun!

Last edited by ivoire; 02-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.
02-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #111
Veteran Member
Anton Magus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Durban, South Africa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 355
Post Processing depend on what software is used. My simple, free, resizing program also automatically sharpens the image. Is that unfair?
Also I think it is fair to allow adjustment of the exposure and white balance, and cropping (obviously). Also conversion to black & white via post processing is fair.

As I see it the problem is where to draw the line.
Many images would benefit tremendously from a bit of noise reduction. Is that to be disallowed?

Images can often be enhanced by shooting at -1ev or even -2ev so the highlights are not blown out, and then rescuing the dark portions to restore a decent range of black and grey tones. Is that worse than some cameras which shoot exposure bracketed images and then combines them, in camera, to produce an HDR image?

One regular entrant likes to submit "old-style" images with a vignette. Is that a problem?

Is it fair to allow corrections and manipulation of the image "in camera" but to ban similar adjustments of the image via post processing? Like panorama mode versus panorama stitching.

This is potentially as wide a topic as "What is a Point & Shoot", and ultimately I think you have to allow any post processing, or specify no post processing beyond crop and resize.

Lets see what future judges decide...
02-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #112
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Post Processing depend on what software is used. My simple, free, resizing program also automatically sharpens the image. Is that unfair?
Also I think it is fair to allow adjustment of the exposure and white balance, and cropping (obviously). Also conversion to black & white via post processing is fair.

As I see it the problem is where to draw the line.
Many images would benefit tremendously from a bit of noise reduction. Is that to be disallowed?

Images can often be enhanced by shooting at -1ev or even -2ev so the highlights are not blown out, and then rescuing the dark portions to restore a decent range of black and grey tones. Is that worse than some cameras which shoot exposure bracketed images and then combines them, in camera, to produce an HDR image?

One regular entrant likes to submit "old-style" images with a vignette. Is that a problem?

Is it fair to allow corrections and manipulation of the image "in camera" but to ban similar adjustments of the image via post processing? Like panorama mode versus panorama stitching.

This is potentially as wide a topic as "What is a Point & Shoot", and ultimately I think you have to allow any post processing, or specify no post processing beyond crop and resize.

Lets see what future judges decide...
It is, of course, up to the next judge, but I thought I'd offer my opinion anyway. I would be willing to allow in-camera editing even of things that I wouldn't allow out-of-camera simply because it better fits the style of point-and-shoot to me, since you can just tell the camera to do it while you're taking it, like most other camera modes. But my natural inclination is to allow only crop, resize, rotate, exposure and color balance tweaks. That said, in practice I'd probably allow all of it, since submitting HDR or a Pano stitch doesn't really give one an unfair advantage in a competition that's mainly about theme, composition, and light.
02-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #113
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
Oh, not another discussion about the contest rules!

02-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #114
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Oh, not another discussion about the contest rules!
Its the never ending quest for "Rule" perfection! Just make them ups as you win!
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #115
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,338
If I ever win again, I'll be allowing post processing. If we were to disallow post processing, we also would have to disallow film, which, by its very nature, requires PP. choice of paper, chemicals, exposure time etc... all PP. It makes no sense to disallow it.

It doesn't matter if its P&S or not, IMO you can process as much or as little as you like, as long as the end result is still a photograph as opposed to a filter frenzy. I wouldn't even care if you use topaz or nik or any other number of the bazillion filter makers out there, as long as it still looks real. I hate HDR when overdone so do that at your peril. LOL.

Its the winner's decision. End of.
02-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #116
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: WW community of Pentax users
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,165
The winner sets the rules.
That's very simple and clear.
02-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #117
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
Will my Sony Cyber-shot 3.2mp, and Canon PowerShot S40 qualify for use in this thread?
02-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #118
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,338
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Will my Sony Cyber-shot 3.2mp, and Canon PowerShot S40 qualify for use in this thread?
Absolutely!!... well in the next competition (number 51)
02-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #119
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Absolutely!!... well in the next competition (number 51)
Thanks kyteflyer
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, competition, digital camera, film, fixed-lens, format, pentax cameras, point and shoot, progression, rules, theme
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Point & Shoot Contest #36 barondla Pentax Compact Cameras 27 12-01-2010 09:24 PM
Point & Shoot Contest #33 - B&W Bart Pentax Compact Cameras 90 10-22-2010 08:33 PM
What is the best point & shoot camera? PHOTOCOP Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 22 03-16-2010 01:13 AM
For Sale - Sold: Raynox DCR-250 & Olympus Point & Shoot atnbirdie Sold Items 2 03-09-2010 01:30 PM
Point & Shoot Contest #28 - Abstract mamba909 Pentax Compact Cameras 10 03-01-2010 08:24 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top