Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to Ivoire and the three winners. Good contest and worthy winners from a wide field of good submissions.

02-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners and thanks to Ivoire.

I didn't want to raise this before the contest was judged, but I would like to open this can of worms now:

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
8. Post processing is fine.
I think heavy processing, (e.g. HDR, stitching), should be excluded from the contest. Heavy processing is not in line with "point & shoot" and overcomes the limitations of small sensors and fixed lenses.
02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Congrats to the winners and thanks to Ivoire.

I didn't want to raise this before the contest was judged, but I would like to open this can of worms now:

I think heavy processing, (e.g. HDR, stitching), should be excluded from the contest. Heavy processing is not in line with "point & shoot" and overcomes the limitations of small sensors and fixed lenses.
I agree, somewhat, that the heavy processing is not in keeping with the spirit of Point and Shoot. Were it up to me, I'd say exposure adjustment, crop, and rotate are allowed, possibly color correction (correcting white balance), but nothing more. I have used these tools in the past to get a picture I took to become the picture I wanted to take, though the output was not terribly widely varied from what I saw in the finder. However, I don't really think HDR and panoramic stitching is in keeping with the "point and shoot" thing.

I would also allow in-camera post processing for digital cameras, since they tend to have some pretty neat tools built in, and it certainly isn't unreasonable to think someone might still consider it point and shoot if they just have to press a few buttons to get what they want right on the screen. I may be willing to extend this allowance for in-camera tools to in-camera HDR, and in-camera panoramic stitching and "Panorama sweep".
02-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Do we have a topic for the next contest?

02-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Do we have a topic for the next contest?
Frission says contest 51 will be posted today.

the winner makes the rules. that is main perk of winning!

And once again, thanks to all of you for your participation and excellent entries. It is all of you that make this so much fun!

Last edited by ivoire; 02-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.
02-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Post Processing depend on what software is used. My simple, free, resizing program also automatically sharpens the image. Is that unfair?
Also I think it is fair to allow adjustment of the exposure and white balance, and cropping (obviously). Also conversion to black & white via post processing is fair.

As I see it the problem is where to draw the line.
Many images would benefit tremendously from a bit of noise reduction. Is that to be disallowed?

Images can often be enhanced by shooting at -1ev or even -2ev so the highlights are not blown out, and then rescuing the dark portions to restore a decent range of black and grey tones. Is that worse than some cameras which shoot exposure bracketed images and then combines them, in camera, to produce an HDR image?

One regular entrant likes to submit "old-style" images with a vignette. Is that a problem?

Is it fair to allow corrections and manipulation of the image "in camera" but to ban similar adjustments of the image via post processing? Like panorama mode versus panorama stitching.

This is potentially as wide a topic as "What is a Point & Shoot", and ultimately I think you have to allow any post processing, or specify no post processing beyond crop and resize.

Lets see what future judges decide...
02-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Post Processing depend on what software is used. My simple, free, resizing program also automatically sharpens the image. Is that unfair?
Also I think it is fair to allow adjustment of the exposure and white balance, and cropping (obviously). Also conversion to black & white via post processing is fair.

As I see it the problem is where to draw the line.
Many images would benefit tremendously from a bit of noise reduction. Is that to be disallowed?

Images can often be enhanced by shooting at -1ev or even -2ev so the highlights are not blown out, and then rescuing the dark portions to restore a decent range of black and grey tones. Is that worse than some cameras which shoot exposure bracketed images and then combines them, in camera, to produce an HDR image?

One regular entrant likes to submit "old-style" images with a vignette. Is that a problem?

Is it fair to allow corrections and manipulation of the image "in camera" but to ban similar adjustments of the image via post processing? Like panorama mode versus panorama stitching.

This is potentially as wide a topic as "What is a Point & Shoot", and ultimately I think you have to allow any post processing, or specify no post processing beyond crop and resize.

Lets see what future judges decide...
It is, of course, up to the next judge, but I thought I'd offer my opinion anyway. I would be willing to allow in-camera editing even of things that I wouldn't allow out-of-camera simply because it better fits the style of point-and-shoot to me, since you can just tell the camera to do it while you're taking it, like most other camera modes. But my natural inclination is to allow only crop, resize, rotate, exposure and color balance tweaks. That said, in practice I'd probably allow all of it, since submitting HDR or a Pano stitch doesn't really give one an unfair advantage in a competition that's mainly about theme, composition, and light.

02-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #113
Banned

Photos: Albums
Oh, not another discussion about the contest rules!
02-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Oh, not another discussion about the contest rules!
Its the never ending quest for "Rule" perfection! Just make them ups as you win!
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #115
Veteran Member

If I ever win again, I'll be allowing post processing. If we were to disallow post processing, we also would have to disallow film, which, by its very nature, requires PP. choice of paper, chemicals, exposure time etc... all PP. It makes no sense to disallow it.

It doesn't matter if its P&S or not, IMO you can process as much or as little as you like, as long as the end result is still a photograph as opposed to a filter frenzy. I wouldn't even care if you use topaz or nik or any other number of the bazillion filter makers out there, as long as it still looks real. I hate HDR when overdone so do that at your peril. LOL.

Its the winner's decision. End of.
02-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #116
Pentaxian

The winner sets the rules.
That's very simple and clear.
02-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Will my Sony Cyber-shot 3.2mp, and Canon PowerShot S40 qualify for use in this thread?
02-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Will my Sony Cyber-shot 3.2mp, and Canon PowerShot S40 qualify for use in this thread?
Absolutely!!... well in the next competition (number 51)
02-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Absolutely!!... well in the next competition (number 51)
Thanks kyteflyer