Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #16

Waterproof Cameras Aren't

I to have a Pentax W-90 and used it on all types of rainy campouts and originally bought it to take on a Mt. Rainier climb. It did great in the freezing rain and snow.

Last week I took it in the pool to take photos of the kids underwater. Of course it died right away. I called Pentax directly and they stated that it is out of the 12 month warranty and will have to be fixed at a cost. I said that they sell the camera as a waterproof product and their response was that it is only waterproof while under warranty. That’s right - it is only waterproof while the warranty is active - otherwise 12 months.

I am questioning whether to send it in and I am seriously questioning whether to buy their products again. I have a Pentax K-100 that is nearing its 27,000 photo and I am waiting for their K5 replacement but this doesn't sit well with me.

Unless the camera is in a waterproof housing - I don't trust any of the manufactures claims of being waterproof.

04-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

OP...Don't know?

I have had lots of problems with dedicated UW cams. Even digital scuba cams leaked after a few uses. I gave up on them.

I used to use Nikonos, but sold them all off when I gave up film. They were perfect.

Now I use Nikon 19 or 20 that runs on 2 AA batts. I house it in a waterproof case from Ikelite. It is not pro material. but just like some snapshots when diving.

Underwater Housing for Nikon Coolpix Camera

If i was really into it I'd buy a housing for a dslr.

Underwater Housing for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras

But since the housing they got wont work with a K-x...I wont. I only run cams that run on 2 or 4 AA's. It is also a big pain in the ass traveling and trucking all that gear.

Good luck!

Last edited by slackercruster; 04-25-2012 at 06:10 AM.
04-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #18

I looked at those options but $1200 for a DSLR case is a bit much for the pool. The Ikelite stuff looks good also but they don't have cases for the W-90 because - well its waterproof.

I have a housing that I used for those disposable box film cameras and it cost $10 and worked. $300 for a W-90 and it fries the first time it goes under water.
04-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by budzy1911 Quote
I looked at those options but $1200 for a DSLR case is a bit much for the pool. The Ikelite stuff looks good also but they don't have cases for the W-90 because - well its waterproof.

I have a housing that I used for those disposable box film cameras and it cost $10 and worked. $300 for a W-90 and it fries the first time it goes under water.

I saw one diver use a Ikelite case for a little Olympus water resitant PS cam.

Even the Ikelite cases need servicing every 3-5 years or they leak

04-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take Waterproof with a grain of salt. Sure there are some that can go underwater, but there is a requirement of strict cleaning and checking of seals before (and after) you attempt it. Even then I wouldn't fully trust it, and would only take it in there should I be prepared to accept the loss should it leak.
It is a pity that Pentax warranties are rather short lived which I guess is the grounds of your anger. I see this as the only thing to be angry about as the warranty would specify what is covered, which (although I personally don't) you should have read and understood before the purchase.
I hope that this can be resolved at a reasonable price, although I think your might be up for a new camera
04-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last week I took it in the pool to take photos of the kids underwater. Of course it died right away. I called Pentax directly and they stated that it is out of the 12 month warranty and will have to be fixed at a cost. I said that they sell the camera as a waterproof product and their response was that it is only waterproof while under warranty. That’s right - it is only waterproof while the warranty is active - otherwise 12 months.
If you read the manual, you will find that it is not waterproof forever. It needs maintenance to be waterproof and the user manual tells you that seals have to be replaced regularly.
04-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The manual of every good waterproof wrist watch tells you the seals have to be renewed with every replacement of batteries (and tested in vacuum). If you don't replace them, the watch may still be tight for a while, but you never know. When I earned much more money than today (sadly, long ago), I owned an expensive swiss watch, with which every shop refused to change batteries. I always had to send it to the official repair centre (but then they included what we would call CLA).

05-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
The manual of every good waterproof wrist watch tells you the seals have to be renewed with every replacement of batteries (and tested in vacuum). If you don't replace them, the watch may still be tight for a while, but you never know. When I earned much more money than today (sadly, long ago), I owned an expensive swiss watch, with which every shop refused to change batteries. I always had to send it to the official repair centre (but then they included what we would call CLA).
So, my wristwatch is a self-winding mechanical...when should I get the seals replaced? There's no batteries to change.
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could ask the manufacturer.
But you also could go every 2 years or so to a well equipped shop and get it a vacuum test. Any good underwater gear is designed in a way that pressure from outside tightens the seals, making it sealed better. In the small vacuum boxes they may have at such shops, the watch will get the reverse effect (loosen the seals). So any degradation of the sealing will (should) show long before you would have a problem with pressure from outside.

EDIT: In the past, when I bought a new battery for a quartz watch in my country at a specialized shop (at 3x the normal price), changing battery and this test were free. Without buying anything, they probably would have charged me some small amount. Nowadays, they may always charge.

Last edited by RKKS08; 05-01-2012 at 10:09 AM.
05-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #25

So much for Pentax

Got the results of the service department and they say the camera is not repairable. $300 down the toilet.

Warning to all other relying on Pentax cameras to be waterproof - they are not once the warranty expires.

I have been loyal to Pentax since my ME Super I got as a graduation present in 1981 but this really makes me question my next camera purchase. I want another weatherproof camera to take backpacking, kayaking, or to take pictures of the kids but I may have to look elsewhere.

This really makes me think twice about ever buying another camera from them again.
05-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

'Weatherproof' and 'Take this Under Water Pressure After Five Years or So' ... aren't the same things. One of the reasons a lot of companies don't make such things for amateurs is cause people think they're pool toys, if the word 'Water Resistant' is on them, (Waterproof to X depth' is really about the pressure. (Certainly doesn't mean salt degradation or chlorine's effects don't change that.'

As 'weather-sealing' goes, of course. Your *car* is 'weather-sealed.' (And you'd be in trouble if it wasn't.) That doesn't make it a submarine.

When it comes to your faithful old 'waterproof watch' or compact camera: if you haven't been maintaining the seals, don't act surprised if rubber isn't immortal.
05-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This really makes me think twice about ever buying another camera from them again.
Ok, when I think of murder/crime trials, all I can think about is the term "Reasonable" as in "Reasonable Doubt" in convictions. Maybe "Reasonable" in the context of one's peers. Rational and reasonable seem to go hand in hand.

Exhibit A - My Pentax Optio W80. It has been EVERYWHERE and been through tough times. It has never failed me - as all the previous WR Optios I have owned.

Exhibit B - The back side of the door that covers both the battery and SD card. Notice the little tab that needs to be moved, so that the door can be slid to open. Notice there are no extra safety catches or latches than can prevent the movement of the little tab.

Exhibit C - The tiny little raised edge is all that prevents water from going into the innards of the Optio. The Water Seal, sits against the smooth bottom of the Optio, when the battery/SD door is closed. There is no reasonable assumption or secondary backup that assures that the seal will prevent water egress or failure. A casual observation will reveal that any small particle will compromise the water integrity of the Optio if it lodges against the seal. Before anyone takes an Optio WR into water, an examination of that seal is second nature.

Exhibit D - My niece in the pool under reasonable water use. Yes, waterproof, but with careful understanding of the reasonable parameters of the claim of waterproofness.

When I buy things, I look them over carefully. I examine the manufacturers claims. I make an assement of it based on real world conditions.

Throwing an Optio - ( not including the WG1 and WG2 as they have more robust catches/latches ) in your swim trunks and playing in the water, is asking for the Optio to fail it's waterproofness, as the little tab will definitely move around, as will the door to the Battery/SD slot.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-16-2012 at 01:26 PM.
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This might suit your needs:

Tough TG-1 iHS
05-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
'Weatherproof' and 'Take this Under Water Pressure After Five Years or So' ... aren't the same things. One of the reasons a lot of companies don't make such things for amateurs is cause people think they're pool toys, if the word 'Water Resistant' is on them, (Waterproof to X depth' is really about the pressure. (Certainly doesn't mean salt degradation or chlorine's effects don't change that.'

As 'weather-sealing' goes, of course. Your *car* is 'weather-sealed.' (And you'd be in trouble if it wasn't.) That doesn't make it a submarine.

When it comes to your faithful old 'waterproof watch' or compact camera: if you haven't been maintaining the seals, don't act surprised if rubber isn't immortal.
They aren't talking about WR bodies like the K-5, but the Pentax Waterproof compacts.

Current WG2 is listed by Pentax to be waterproof to a depth of 40 feet.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax WG-2 Features

• Waterproof to a depth of 40 feet.
  • Shockproof design protects from drops up to 5 feet.
  • Crushproof construction withstands weights up to 220 LBF (pound-force).
  • Coldproof to sub-freezing temps of minus 10 degrees C (14 degrees F).
  • Wide angle 5X internal optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent).
  • Hardened cover with SP coating protects internal lens elements.
  • An HDMI port (Micro, Type-D) plays back beautiful, high definition images and video on HDTVs.
  • Pixel Track, Digital and Movie Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images and video.
  • An autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus.
  • Extended dynamic range helps bring out extra highlight and shadow detail.

The problem is getting replacement seals for the damn things.
05-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

This thread made me buy one of these (for my Canon S90), it cost about the same as a whole WP compact. However I've read so many bad stories about WP compacts getting water damaged I went down this path.