Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Starting to HATE waterproof compacts.

I used to own a pentax w30. It was great. It lasted 1.5 years and then died due to water ingress.

I replaced it with a pentax w90. It was purchased from adorama.

I purchased it on 7 Jan 2011. It was delivered on 13 Jan 2011.
It died on 12th Jan 2012.

5 days out of warranty. I had the camera in my possession for LESS than 1 year. I had it in my hands for 364 days and it died...
I did contact adorama about it and they said "too bad, so sad!"

Do i bother replacing it with another pentax?

mike

01-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Panasonic and Sony make pretty good "rugged cams" (with better video and image quality - that's always bothered me about the Pentax W-series). Of course, it depends on what you use the camera for. Is it the water seals giving out each time or impact or what?

The reason I still like the W90 (aside from not dying after 2 years) is that I can hold onto it when it's wet. Look at the rest of these slippery little buggers! (Link has reviews and images - enjoy!)
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Try taking it up with Pentax directly. I wouldn't bother contacting a retailer about a manufacturer warranty. They'd likely just try to sell you another camera.
01-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah... both died of water ingress. I just like to keep the camera in my pocket when swimming with the kids. Never been deeper than 5 foot.

I'll try pentax USA as that is where it came from.

mike

01-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Big thumbs down for the panasonic. (talking latest models) I know 3 people had theirs destroyed diving. Mine and others are Ok for snorkeling when the water is tropical. However when I hit colder water the glass fogs up. The GPS is nasty. The menu system is poor. The claim it is measured in metric, but it is in feet. The only good thing is its small. Pentax couldn't be any worse.
01-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

They claim it is waterproof, so even if it's just over warranty, I would contact the manufacturer. Their company image hopefully costs more than a replaced/repaired unit.
01-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I agree, if it's a manufacturing defect, they will definitely replace it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

panasonic don't replace cameras that get fizzled underwater even in the warranty period. the three mentioned cameras were all under a year old.
01-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought a WG-1 last year and I'm loving it.
01-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
Zav
Pentaxian

Olympus made no problem to replace my sunken TG camera and even replaced it with a newer generation one.
01-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Yeah... both died of water ingress. I just like to keep the camera in my pocket when swimming with the kids. Never been deeper than 5 foot.

I'll try pentax USA as that is where it came from.
Good luck! Not sure how well Pentax USA handles any type of warranty or just out of warranty service from 'grey-market' goods (which is what we get when we shop from the US and ship out). I've always assumed that I wasn't covered, being just north of them and all.
01-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well... i did not get a response to my email. If they do not reply tomorrow I'll give them a ring.

mike
01-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #13
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I used to own a pentax w30. It was great. It lasted 1.5 years and then died due to water ingress.

I replaced it with a pentax w90. It was purchased from adorama.

I purchased it on 7 Jan 2011. It was delivered on 13 Jan 2011.
It died on 12th Jan 2012.

5 days out of warranty. I had the camera in my possession for LESS than 1 year. I had it in my hands for 364 days and it died...
I did contact adorama about it and they said "too bad, so sad!"

Do i bother replacing it with another pentax?

mike
Did you contact Pentax directly? Your warranty would have been with Pentax rather with Adorama. Try here: Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA
01-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I have a W20 and a W90. Both work like new. I always clean the seals and smear a light coat of Silicone O-ring grease available in any dive shop on them. Yes, I know Pentax recommends having the seals replaced every so often but this has worked for me.
02-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I do similar to Ahab - I've got a optio w60, a kodak playsport, and a optio wg-1 that I've been using in the water for years without problems. (the w60 I got new when they first came out...)

You have to understand that any bit of sand that gets in there will break the contact... so keep the door free of sand. I use vacuum seal grease to form another layer of protection.