Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
UC-1 and 35mm film Compacts

Hi
Went thru storage boxes and dug out my P&S collection after reading and posting a pix of my Pentax film compacts here yesterday. I've come across the Non-Zoom single focal length compacts that I've collected years ago. These are all auto focus models that came out about the time of Pentax UC-1.

Pentax UC-1 : Pentax 32mm f/3.5
Fujifilm Tiara II : Fujinon Super EBC 28mm f/3.5
Olympus Stylus Epic / Epic DLX / Epic Limited : Olympus 35mm f/2.8
Konica Big Mini 300 / 302 : Konica 35mm f/3.5
Ricoh R1 : 24mm in Panorama mode / 30mm Normal - f/3.5

Richard

Last edited by Hinomaru; 02-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.
02-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #2

I've been looking into these for the past week. You seem to have a great collection. All the ones I REALLY want are too expensive i.e. the Fujifilm Natura Black.

Which one is your favorite?
02-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello Skullsroad

Thanks for your comments. Yes, the Natura Black is a beauty! A fast f/1.9 and an ultra wide 24mm. That's a compact to behold!
Back then I wanted a Ricoh GR21 so baaaad but couldn't afford - it had a 21mm wide lens and I believe it also had external flash socket which was so cool. And an external exposure comp dial. It was outrageously priced just like the Fujifilm Natura Black & Classica. Those are the real "Posh Compacts". Also the Nikon 28 & 35Ti.

Well, strangely I favor among the pocketables is the vintage manual rangefinder focusing Olympus clamshell XA. Its an aperture priority compact. No amenities - like you have to wind film with thumb wheel and even set ASA/ISO manually - no DX coding. But it has +1.5 exposure comp for backlit scenes and the slow shutter speed goes all the way down to a full 10 seconds. Its really a fun camera to carry about.

Few more collections uploaded to my flicker photostream: Flickr: rickinazaki's Photostream

Richard
02-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #4

The XA really seems to top everyones list. The features sound really cool, however unfortunately, and this is my opinion, it's butt-ugly. I much prefer the soap-bar and flat-faced look of the Konica and Ricoh.

02-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, the design of the XA series was unconventional that either you loved it or didn't. It broke the aesthetic mold of the traditional compact when it came out and did away with folding lens of the Rollei 35 by placing internal focusing elements which at the time was revolutionary. It makes me feel even older - mind you, being a senior citizen - when the XA came out over thirty years ago, I thought the camera looked so futuristic. I didn't like the design initially but I love how it looks and handles after shooting with it for many years.

Cheers
Richard
02-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
The XA really seems to top everyones list.
Not mine.

Chris
02-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice collection, congrats!
From what I recall, you actually miss Minolta TC-1 in that set, an perhaps some Leica. Are you going to look them up as well?

02-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Not mine.

Chris
Heh. Care to finish that post and tell us what does?
06-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely collection. I still have my cheapie Canon BF Prima (35mm, f2.8), The oly trip 35 has unfortunately died.
I wish I could get something that is the size of any one of the the film camera soapbox designs (that accommodated 35mm film coverage lens) that had a larger sensor....for a bit less than the X100!