Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Too bad they didn't sall the Q the i-Q. The irony would have been delicious.
Apple probably would have sued them for using the letter "i".

On-topic, am I the only one entirely not bothered by this ad? I mean sure, if your mind is already in the gutter, it can be misconstrued what they were going for here, but it's not that bad? The point they're trying to drive home is "Go out and get it dirty, it won't break!"

If I were in the market for a decent P&S, I'd seriously consider one of these.

02-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Apple probably would have sued them for using the letter "i".

On-topic, am I the only one entirely not bothered by this ad? I mean sure, if your mind is already in the gutter, it can be misconstrued what they were going for here, but it's not that bad? The point they're trying to drive home is "Go out and get it dirty, it won't break!"

If I were in the market for a decent P&S, I'd seriously consider one of these.
Ummm...I know what garden variety dirt looks like and mud too. There is plenty of both in my yard right now. What is pictured on the cameras is more liken to an archaic aspect of the term dirt. I showed the photo to a few of my friends (both quite proper ladies) and the reaction was immediate. They could not believe that any real company would accept such an image for promotional purposes. In short, what is draped over the camera bears a strong resemblance to excrement to the possible exclusion of most other options.

Why such ineptitude?

Steve
02-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't tell me you never accidentally dropped your P&S into a toilet...
02-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummm...I know what garden variety dirt looks like and mud too. There is plenty of both in my yard right now. What is pictured on the cameras is more liken to an archaic aspect of the term dirt. I showed the photo to a few of my friends (both quite proper ladies) and the reaction was immediate. They could not believe that any real company would accept such an image for promotional purposes. In short, what is draped over the camera bears a strong resemblance to excrement to the possible exclusion of most other options.

Why such ineptitude?

Steve

+1. Over 45 years of outdoor activities, 10 to 20 nights a year in a tent; 30 times a year out in my yard with some implement in my hand - I have NEVER seen natural soil rolled and draped like a SillyPutty rope over anything. Glycerine, mashed potatoes and food coloring as used in food photography - yes, I've seen "fried eggs" in a Denny's ad that looked unnatural like that. I can picture the "artist" making the spots at the front right with an eyedropper. The sticky globs at the right are possible.

I don't think it intentionally suggests excrement. I think the "artist" is someone who has never seen real dirt.

The shame is the Pentax person who accepted this image hasn't either.

Attached Images

Last edited by monochrome; 02-26-2012 at 07:59 AM.
02-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

OK, the initial shock has worn off... my final decision is , as follows---- I don't want to touch that camera, I don't want to touch anything that reminds me of that camera, if I buy this camera I will force the sales person to sign a form that says it's not that particular camera and that the camera I'm buying has no e-coli bacteria on it, then I'm going to have it tested to make sure... I will not buy this camera from a store that does not have a jar of hand sanitizer on the counter for me to immerse it in before I take it home... if that ever happened to one of my cameras, my wife and I would have a fight over which one of us got the job of cleaning it up. If any of my friends ever did that to my camera, they'd be unfriended...

as for the caption...

"everyone of of our cameras was immersed to a depth of 10 feet in a septic tank before packing and shipping... guaranteed poop proof"

That will make a lot of people want to buy it.... people in mental hospitals... ok... enough

In Algonquin park they dig holes in the ground... for you to do your business in and build a little box over them so you have something to sit on, this looks like it was dropped down one of those holes and then retrieved... arrgh, now I can't get the freak show image out of my mind. I can see this posted on a CaNikon site with the caption... "Pentax.... we poop on you."

Last edited by normhead; 02-26-2012 at 07:43 AM.
02-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can see this posted on a CaNikon site with the caption... "Pentax.... we poop on you."
Yeah. And countless other non-Canikon hate sites/forums/blogs laughing at how Pentax markets its own Products *facepalm*
02-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #22
Site Supporter

It is WG Number 2, right?

But a wonderful camera, nonethheless
02-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I think this kind of advertisement may work. People share the image and it gets more audience. Makes sense to me.

02-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Final act of defiance from a disgruntled employee? If, so, well played...well played indeed...

Steve
Yeah, and Pentax didn't even check their website after the publicity was posted !

They have 100% confidence in their employees!

JP
02-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
I didn't think it was excrement until so many of you facepalmed. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned.
02-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I didn't think it was excrement until so many of you facepalmed. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned.
Interesting though, once an idea like that gts into your head... it's hard to get it out. I've looked on various sites and can't find this image... are we sure someone didn't photoshop it?
02-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting though, once an idea like that gts into your head... it's hard to get it out. I've looked on various sites and can't find this image... are we sure someone didn't photoshop it?
The image is the last one in the scrolling images of the WG-2 at Pentaximaging.com. I uploaded a copy of the image from the website.
03-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #28
Pentaxian

looks like someone pooped on it, for sure. Its marketing, but good marketing? oops.

I wish they would stop pushing the megapixels. I would love this in a 12.
03-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #29
Pentaxian

That new backlit sensor may provide enough improvement in signal to noise to make you forget that.