Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Good, durable and very compact P&S

I'm looking for a new compact P&S. First off, I have a K-5 as my main dSLR, a Canon Powershot G9 as my advanced P&S and an older Canon Ixus (Powershot in US) 55. The latter is the one I am looking for a replacement.

It's mainly for my wife to use when traveling, so it needs to be very compact. The size of the Ixux 55 or similar is very desirable. Durable, mainly metal construction is a must. I have been using compact Canons for this reason for many years as they have a stainless steel shell. It doesn't need full manual control, but should have a good flash system like Canon (I have been very pleased with Canon's flash systems over time). Something in the 8-12MP range is sufficient. RAW support is not required. A decent optical zoom range is also good with good wide-angle coverage, at least 28mm film equivalent would be good. Waterproof would be a bonus but not stricly required.

To be honest, I have never played with any of Pentax' own compact P&S cameras, only their SLRs and dSLRs. Does Pentax have something that would suit me?

03-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax's point and shoots are pretty good, but prior to the current generation, they were quite a ways behind the competition as far as features such as video went.

You can get an optio RS1500 for $75 together with a case and SD card: 15981 G Pentax Optio RS1500 Digital Camera Kit - Silver - with 4GB SD Memory Card, Camera Case

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you had a look at the Ricoh CX6?
03-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At this point I'm only starting, have not looked at any cameras yet. Just trying to collect some ideas and suggestions.

03-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No slam against Pentax P&S (my daughter has one) but I prefer the picture quality, zoom range, and features of the Panasonic ZS cameras myself. Because of power drain issues (common to all makers I understand) of GPS I have opted for the model below the top of the line which does not have GPS.
03-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have had a few Canon P&S models and loved 'em (sadly, they are longer working...). I just bought an Olympus XZ-1 this last December for use as a dive camera, and I have been VERY impressed with it. Good in low-light situations, full controls if you want 'em and good "auto" results if not. There are lots of picture threads over in the non-Pentax camera subforum, including one for the XZ-1. Worth a look.

JIm
03-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I have had a few Canon P&S models and loved 'em (sadly, they are longer working...). I just bought an Olympus XZ-1 this last December for use as a dive camera, and I have been VERY impressed with it. Good in low-light situations, full controls if you want 'em and good "auto" results if not. There are lots of picture threads over in the non-Pentax camera subforum, including one for the XZ-1. Worth a look.

JIm
ZX-1 looks nice, but it's a bit too thick. I'm looking for something in the 20mm range if possible.

03-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take a look at the Samsung TL350 (WB2000 in europe). Tons of features, fits in a shirt pocket, 21.5mm
03-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Take a look at the Samsung TL350 (WB2000 in europe). Tons of features, fits in a shirt pocket, 21.5mm
The Samsung looks like a contender, thanks. How about the Sony DSC-WX10? It's really thin, 17mm, and a bit more reach on the zoom than the WB2000. The Sony is one of the recommended pocket cameras at Steve's Digicam site. It's a bit more expensive than the Samsung, but not out of my budget.

Last edited by cbope; 03-06-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling