Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Not one to gripe but you may relate.. X90

I'm sure so many of the Pentax products are good. In fact, I advise folks still to get a point and shoot Pentax that is waterproof etc. But...

The now discontinued X90 super zoom of mine is defunct. I once had a Canon S1iS that lasted years, many years, the X90 less than two. This camera made it a little past warranty. I see now why they were discontinued. Loaded with features, unbelievable zoom but it has gone bonkers. I could have done without 90% of the features for a working camera.

My Pentax K1000 still works. (36 years old) My three Canon Rebel's all work and one is the first ever made. My Canon S1is went bad (another super zoom)...but the X90 shut down in no time. I think Pentax would like to forget they ever sponsored it with the Pentax name. I guess I did not get my $300 worth out of it. I bought it to return to the Pentax name I missed having on a camera. My latest is a Canon T2i with Tamron 180mm prime lens.

So goodbye to my X90. I think the bottom of the bay may be a good place for it..get the flash to go off, curse it, then throw it in, in front of others. Naaa..that's polluting. My sympathies, empathies, to others who may have ended up as I have with a camera that went bad way before it should.

03-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's too bad to hear, the X90 definitely was a feature rich camera. As far as super zoom's go, I've used and REALLY liked the Panasonic FZ-18.. I like it better than the Canon S30is (or whatever it's called) my grandfather picked up. I wish I had an X90... but if their life expectancy isn't that great, maybe I'll stay away from used ones (for their time lapse features).
03-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ejbpesca Quote
I'm sure so many of the Pentax products are good. In fact, I advise folks still to get a point and shoot Pentax that is waterproof etc. But...

The now discontinued X90 super zoom of mine is defunct. I once had a Canon S1iS that lasted years, many years, the X90 less than two. This camera made it a little past warranty. I see now why they were discontinued. Loaded with features, unbelievable zoom but it has gone bonkers. I could have done without 90% of the features for a working camera.

My Pentax K1000 still works. (36 years old) My three Canon Rebel's all work and one is the first ever made. My Canon S1is went bad (another super zoom)...but the X90 shut down in no time. I think Pentax would like to forget they ever sponsored it with the Pentax name. I guess I did not get my $300 worth out of it. I bought it to return to the Pentax name I missed having on a camera. My latest is a Canon T2i with Tamron 180mm prime lens.

So goodbye to my X90. I think the bottom of the bay may be a good place for it..get the flash to go off, curse it, then throw it in, in front of others. Naaa..that's polluting. My sympathies, empathies, to others who may have ended up as I have with a camera that went bad way before it should.
As much of a shame as it is that it's died, I'd suggest not simply throwing it away. Send it to Pentax, they should be able to provide a free or low-cost estimate of what the problem is, and it could be simple. Also, offer it up in the marketplace? Someone may be willing to give you *something* for it, even knowing they have to contend with getting it repaired.

As for cameras and reliability, everything breaks eventually...but completely mechanical things tend to last longer, and are always repairable when they do go. My 1919 Kodak Autographic Folding Brownie No. 2 is proof of that!
03-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry about your X90. I bought one about the same time as you and have taken many good pics with it. Very fortunately it is still going strong.