Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter

TS4 or WG-2?

I buy pentax whenever possible and own many of their cameras but I the best solution regardless of brand. I know some of your own the Panasonic TS3 or TS4 serving as your waterproof (really more water resistant) camera.

I looking on opinions as to which one I should i get, is the panasonic alot better or are they really about the same..? (TS3/4 vs WG1/2) ....

Thanks...

04-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having seen a friend's "Waterproof" Panasonic(think it was a TS10) mess up after he dropped it(Briefly) in about a 3 inch deep puddle, and having seen my mother's WG-1 go into a river, bang against rocks and come out fine...I'm going to say Pentax? Just seems like the build quality is the most important part in a waterproof camera, and the Pentax has some of the best. Better battery life on the Pentax as well, as it has a CMOS Sensor, as opposed to the CCD in the Panasonic...basically, as far as I can tell, the Panasonic is just a hyped up version of every other companies "Rugged" camera.

Just my two cents though.
04-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I've been asking myself the same question for this summer, those two seemed the best candidates. You might also want to consider the TS3 that is still available from some retailers and is cheaper than the 4, with not many differences.
In the end I think I'll go with the Pentax because :
- the lens is in the middle of the body, this reduces the risk of putting my finger over the picture (especially underwater)
- it's cheaper (I'm not interested in the GPS so it's good to have the option to save a few bucks with the Pentax)
- the LEDs seem fun
but as far as I can tell, image quality is pretty much equivalent, weight/size are very close, battery life seems almost identical (at least on paper, I haven't had a chance to try them yet).
I like the looks of the Panasonic better though...
04-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My TS3 is crap. I wish I had got the pentax. I got it as it had less pixels and had better write ups at the time compared with pentax. I am hopping mad with it due to it fogging up in gold water. The GPS drove me nuts. It won't lock when you are walking so you have to put it on a table and come back a few minutes later.

I can't take my canon G10 and underwater housing along with all my pentax kit on small aircraft so I got the panasonic for a marine education conference on the Great Barrier reef. It turned out at least 6 other people had versions of the camera. All three who took it down diving cooked their cameras. Those snorkeling and myself have not had problems.

I wanted specific photos in the cold creeks and lakes on Fraser Is and the glass protecting the lens fogged up. I have never been so angry with a camera

I think canon has come out with a new model. If they have solved the problem of their lugs that allow the strap to fall off it might be worth considering

04-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
gold water
I had heard Aus was magical but I did not know the water was gold...... Now I have to visit.
04-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I had heard Aus was magical but I did not know the water was gold...... Now I have to visit.
Actually in the most shallow creeks the water is so clear you can only see the sand (which is almost white with a green tinge, but if it were yellow then my typo would almost be spot on)
05-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

TIPA - TECHNICAL IMAGE PRESS ASSOCIATION - Award details

The pentax won the tipa award for best rugged compact... I think I'm quoting this from a ts2 review on here, but I don't recall where I found it... "Namely, its shutter can fire at speeds of up to 1/4000s, which current competing cameras can only go up to 1/1500s."

So.. shutter speed is significantly faster on the pentax.

My wg-1 was absolute crap, so I sold it and went back to my w60 which was only partly crap.

I haven't look at the ts4 body yet, but former panasonic waterproof models had a problem with salt water galvanic corrosion of the aluminum casing, prob because of the metal screws used to bolt it together.
05-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I reviewed my TS3 here:

Laur's photo blog: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3

I am still happy with it and I carry it everyday. Of course, I considered the Pentax option, but all the reviews I've seen (dpreview, lenstip) were placing it at the bottom of the pack and they had the samples to prove that it deserved that position - visible quality difference. The WG cameras may be tougher than anything else, but I want to take decent images and so far the TS3 has not shown any build weakness.

If Pentax would put something closer to the Q sensor in their WG bodies, they would get a killer combination - but that would probably kill the Q too, so...

05-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #9

I got a TS2 and now I'm probably selling it and getting a TS4 for better image quality and the GPS.
07-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #10

Chiming in late here, but I just got the WG-2 and love it. I think my KX kit will be staying at home a lot more. I've always been a big fan of Panasonic's P&S superzoom cameras since way back with the FZ1 all the way through the FZ50, but I haven't been very impressed with anything they've been putting out lately, including their ruggedized line of cameras. I don't like the typical ruggedized camera shape, which has a lot to do with why the WG series camera appeals to me so much.

Regarding image quality cited in reviews, with P&S cameras you really have to take that with a grain of salt. Any P&S camera I've ever owned gets the typical mediocre reviews for image quality, but I've always found with every single P&S camera that once you dial in your preferences in the settings, you can eek out pics pretty close to (if not exactly) what you want. I was not impressed with the WG-2's out of the box image quality, so I bumped up the quality to the highest, turned on the IQ boost feature, and bumped up the sharpness and contrast, limited the auto ISO range to something more reasonable for the sensor, and now I'm getting great shots. To be fair in the reviews, I think the reviewers have to use the cameras at default settings, but that only shows what the camera will do with the default settings right out of the box.

I realize I'm probably preaching to choir about that, but I thought I'd mention it since some of the responses above mentioned reviews and image quality ratings.
10-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #11

I used to have the TS3/FT3, which is essentially the same as the TS4/FT4 minus some features. I had bought it earlier in the summer and used it quite a lot underwater in no more than 3m depths while snorkeling. Took about 700 photos with it and it never missed a beat.
After the summer ended, I sold it and got rid of it. I found its image quality both under and out of the water to be quite mediocre, even for a point and shoot. I wouldn't consider the WG-2 because from the sample images I've seen around, even here in the Pentaxforums review, it has image quality that's even worse (cr@p to be honest). Unless something interesting comes up, I 'll give a chance to the Olympus TG-1 next summer.
Pentax must put a better sensor with less pixels to the WG-2, if it wants to get my money.
11-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #12

+1 for WG-2

I got a WG-2 and do not regret it at all. The picture quality maybe mediocre, but the competitions were not that much better, if you are looking for top-notch stuff, you just can't get it in a waterproof camera. I exploit the camera 6-LED extensively for macro shots at work, where my working subjects are typically just a couple milimeters in size and typically require me to put the camera in tight spaces and crazy positions. I just put the plastic ring on the lens mount and place the camera pretty much directly on the subject, and i got great lighting with good details - no extra work required. Pentax should really exploit this 6-LED macro feature more in the next gen (brighter illumination and more adjustable ISO, for example), as the tiny sensor really work very well for macro. There's nothing like it in the market today.

here's some brown rice on a towel... not too bad for iso 800.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WG-2  Photo