Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

point-and-shoot.. come on..

whats with this point-and-shoot rubbish.. only a dslr fanboy uses such a term..

how about "compact".. "none dslr".. "all in one camera"

anything is better than the demeaning perhaps even insulting "point-and-shoot" title for anything that dosnt have a detachable lens..

trog

12-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Really, why would anyone care, P&S is perfectly fine by me. I use my D-SLR's in P&S mode from time to time, my D-SLR does not care, I almost always use my Sony V1 in P&S mode and it is happy with that. Meh!!
12-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #3

I was just thinking, perhaps we should call them "force them as far from your body before taking the shot" cameras, thats how most people use them as far as I can see??
12-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote

anything is better than the demeaning perhaps even insulting "point-and-shoot" title for anything that dosnt have a detachable lens..

trog
Maybe compact would work, but isn't the *ist DS compact too?

No pun intended with P&S, lol.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #5

I really think that the cameras just will not care and really "demeaned"??????

I think someone needs to go and take some photos and not worry about what they think others think!!
12-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"why would anyone care, P&S is perfectly fine by me"

it might well be fine by u but it is derogatory term.. and is simply untrue.. there are far better ways to describe a none dlsr than point and shoot..

trog
12-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #7

"why would anyone care, P&S is perfectly fine by me"

it might well be fine by u but it is derogatory term.. and is simply untrue.. there are far better ways to describe a none dlsr than point and shoot..

trog
Whatever!! I really don't think my cameras care.

I am off to take some photos with my Occasionally- P&S-SLR-NON-Film-Picture-Taking-Thinga-Ma-Bob

Seeya.

Pete
12-29-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, even Pentax calls it Point and Shoot on their site

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The majority of the photos I have posted to this site were taken with my P&S. I have no qualms about whatever it is called. It is a camera, there are better, there are worse but they all perform the same job, putting light to thought.
12-31-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
okay describe or define a point and shoot camera..

to me a point and shoot a simple camera designed for folks who know very little (and dont want to) about the technical side of photography with next to no manual setting to makes things difficult for the user..

u point it u press the button and given reasonable conditions out pops a picture..

for example my panasonic fz20 is not a point and shoot.. my leica digilux 1 is not a p/s my sons olympus e20 is not a point and shoot..

it would seem once the step to a dslr is made everything else gets dismissively refered to as point and shoot..

just assume there are pentax none dslr user out there who really dont like being thought of as "happy snappers" just cos they dont own a dslr..

trog
12-31-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

trog
Well even the retailers and manufacturers often call the non SLR cameras P&S, as does Pentax on their website... I don't see it as an insult, it is simply a category.. I guess it is point and shot as you just do that rather than having to possibly change lens first...

Whats with labelling DSLR users "fanboys" just because they apply a term provided to them by the manufacturers of the P&S cameras themselves... Actually the Fanboy label annoys me more than anything else, esp on dpreview...
01-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well it probably does.. especially if u are one.. just like the owner of an expensive and complicated FZ50 would be equally annoyed by having his camera refered to as a P/S..

i am annoyed by the term troll which i am very often in danger of being called when i go against the general herd viewpoint.. as i often do..

we have all read and probably posted in the dpreview forum.. there are some lessons to be learned from it..

all the terms mentioned above are in essence derogatory terms..

i am a bit of a computer geek.. i sometimes post a lot in PC hardware forums.. the fanboy term comes from such forums..

these guys are more advanced than the picture taking guys.. they know they are fanboys and even apologize in advance for being one. he he

too much enthusiasm for any product will bring up the term fanboy which removes all credence from the post..

too much criticism will bring up the term troll..

there are far more fanboys in the forum world than trolls..

in the dpreview forums both terms are blatanly abused.. and the fanboys are the real problem not the odd guy who tries not to be one.. which of course causes all the fanboys to scream troll at the top of their voices..

i must admit to being surprised that pentax uses the term point and shoot to describe their none dslr products thow.. still it has been said they arnt that good at the marketing side of things..

trog
01-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Inactive Account

okay describe or define a point and shoot camera..

to me a point and shoot a simple camera designed for folks who know very little (and dont want to) about the technical side of photography with next to no manual setting to makes things difficult for the user..

u point it u press the button and given reasonable conditions out pops a picture..

just assume there are pentax none dslr user out there who really dont like being thought of as "happy snappers" just cos they dont own a dslr..

trog
I'm new to this site but this strikes me as being a very argumentative thread here. I take exception to being classed as someone who knows very little (and doesn't want to) about the technical side...

Personally, I adore photography and I expect 100% out of whatever camera I use - the only reason I don't have a DSLR is because I cannot afford one. I hope to have one, one day but in the meantime, I'm deliriously happy with my Pentax A20.
01-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

i think it's the type of ppl that it's intended for...i mean..thats what most of the p&s users do...they just point....and shoot....they dont care about composition, or lighthing or whatever variables we think about when taking photos.....i have to admit, when I am using one of those "compact" camera's, i do just tend to .... "point and shoot"
01-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

these guys are more advanced than the picture taking guys..
Yeah we are simple folk....

As per trolls I don't know it is just because they have problems... I have seen plenty of people post I have X or Y problem with my camera, and people have discussed it without anyone being called a troll or fanboy.. The problem usually arises when someone titles a thread "Pentax is crap" or "K10d fatally flawed" and it turns out the thread is about the camera not focusing accurately at EV -3 or something that is out of the advertised metering range anyway..

Posting with titles like that is trollish as it is intentionally inflammatory. By definition that makes it a troll post...

The other thing that seems to annoy people on DPR (and I admit me too) is when someone has a problem and starts 2-3 threads all about the same problem, which is just a pain...

Last edited by joele; 01-01-2007 at 07:45 PM.