Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Immunogirl Quote
Hrmmm... I used picasa, so nothing very sophisticated. Soft focus probably, sepia. I think I might have hit I'm feeling lucky, and I might have even hit holgo-ish (I would have done sepia after that)
Thanks Immunogirl. There is a lot of PP software out there that tends to be under-rated just because its free. Picasa is one of those. It can be a very useful tool to fix and improve an image and has the advantage of being quick and easy.

06-29-2012, 10:37 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Picasa. Cropped, neon. Focal zoom.

06-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Immunogirl Quote
Picasa. Cropped, neon. Focal zoom.
My initial reaction was :
OK. So you had this REALLY bad day... Let's just calm down and relax... Drink some camomile tea...

Then I had this vision:
I am standing in a really modern-looking, white room with a black leather couch, a tall lamp with a red shade, and a glossy white coffee table with a shiny red bowl on it.
On the end wall, on the right of the couch, was your entry; a huge 5 x 5 feet block mounted print of it. It dominated the overall scene, and it just looked - soooo "right".
The more I stared at it, the more I realized it was a symbolic message from the cosmos, passed down through the eternity of time and space. This image actually spoke to me
and what it said was, "I warned you to stop snorting that good stuff! Now it's destroyed your mind..."

So what do I think? I think you have turned a photograph into a work of art.
Is it inside the scope of this contest? You are way, way ahead of what this contest even envisioned. You are like Bill Gates mingling with a bunch of homeless people.
Do I like it then? I love it... its... its... wow... I'm speechless. Its like the Van Gogh of processed images. Just please don't cut your ear off!

So, what now? Just calm down and relax... Drink some more of this nice, warm camomile tea... And no more using that stuff, OK?
06-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Anton really likes it, Catriona

So do I

06-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Most of what I did for PP on the Sphnix

1. Downloaded Anton's pic as a BMP
2. In Corel Paint Shop Pro X4. (A cyper Monday deal that was under $15).
A. Straighten.
B. Cloned out small details
C. Depth of Field to isolate subject
3. In Lightroom 3
A. Crop - Lightroom seems to work the best for me. You get to try different views without harming the pixels.
B. Convert to Monotone
Attached Images

07-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The B&W or monochromes are in the majority so far.
The focus on the subject is indeed enhanced, chemtech.
07-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back to the land of reality...
Nice work chemtech. Pushing the non-subject areas out of focus helps remove the considerable clutter in the original.
Indeed monochrome entries are leading. This image seems to lend itself well to monochrome - the green leaves on the tree are a distraction.
Incidentally, I also like the cropping system in Adobe software - Lightroom or Photoshop - because it is so intuitive and easy.
07-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Good idea for starting a new contest, Anton.
The first to show us all how to do it, Bart. Love the tones.
Always loved your black and whites ivoire,
Immunogirl, wonderful renditions both are so different. Love your creative mind and you're always an inspiration.
samtr87, I agree with Anton Magus... it's not cheating, at all... cool process.
ghl, getting rid of the clutter and adjusting the levels made a big differece.
chemtech, love what you did with the photo. The subject really stands out.

07-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For those who are put off having a go at post processing because they have no software and don't want to pay over a months beer money for Photoshop, then I have just the thing for you. Its a program called PhotoScape which is a free package from www.photoscape.org and its not adware or nagware either. Its a 17.5Mb download and installing PhotoScape on any Windows PC is straight forward.

PhotoScape is pretty simple to use and delivers great results for the most common tasks - rotate, crop, resize, brightness, contrast and sharpen. In addition it has an impressive list of filters, tools and functions. Overall impression? It really works as well as advertised with no fuss or problems. Its not Photoshop but it wasn't intended to be, but it can do a lot of what Photoshop can do, and it can do it faster and easier. Try it and see if you like it. I did.
07-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I think i'll submit this. duplicate the image in photoshop, turn one copy upside down, create a new blank image, paste both images in the new blank, run Medhi Kaliedascope plugin, use shadow and highlights, boost vibrance and saturation, reduce size.

Last edited by ivoire; 01-22-2013 at 05:45 AM.
07-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Michael, the past month or so I was too busy to do much in the line of photography, and just as I thought, after driving about 500km this morning, perhaps I could try something with my Picasa, you come up with something like this, killing my enthusiasm again for probably another month!:vloek: :waving white flag:
07-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Michael, the past month or so I was too busy to do much in the line of photography, and just as I thought, after driving about 500km this morning, perhaps I could try something with my Picasa, you come up with something like this, killing my enthusiasm again for probably another month!:vloek: :waving white flag:
Christo... i do enjoy your sense of humor. I doubt this will garner a win as it is just a bit too extreme for most (but i like the effect so its here as my entry). it actually looks a bit better in its full size but rule #4 (4. Maximum image dimensions for entries are 1024x768 pixels) had to be applied. Soooo frustrating to have to play by the rules

@Immunogirl... That is way cool! I'm a fan of red so you got me on that one right away. The contrast/inverse of dark against the red in the face is excellent and the motion created with the trees sets it off.

Last edited by ivoire; 07-05-2012 at 05:59 AM.
07-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, Ivoire, your entry was very, ahem, interesting. During my wild and crazy student years I think I had a T-shirt with a similar pattern. I believe the inspiration for that pattern was also from Colombia.
The image itself is open to different interpretations but I think artistically depicts the interior of the mother ship from Independence Day, so it may be deeply symbolic of one super-incredible July 4th party.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I doubt this will garner a win as it is just a bit too extreme for most
Don't worry about winners and losers, just concentrate on rest and detox and you'll be back to normal in no time.
07-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Don't worry about winners and losers, just concentrate on rest and detox and you'll be back to normal in no time.
Hey! this is normal...LoL
07-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Hey! this is normal...LoL
Of course it is

Real creative, ivoire!