Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #46

At first the tree was going to be purple, but I thought it looked kind of cheesy... lol

07-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also shows a painterly effect, I think.
Great!
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by laughlady99 Quote
I pulled all of the color out except for the blue using Lightroom, then I applied a couple Topaz filters through photoshop & tried to reduce the noise as much as I could.
Well you certainly ended up with a very interesting result. Well done.
07-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I crop and use this filter (its the redscale III in topaz B&W) when I take an uninteresting photo of an interesting subject, gives it that instagram facebook generation feel to it... I used lightroom with topaz B&W

Attached Images

07-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #50
Pentaxian

bit of a polaroid look (wrong format and no white border, I know but other than that)
Brings back memories of simpler times
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Bmonki for sharing this idea with us. Its a very unique result with the red shadows which is very unusual but seems to sharpen the detail.
Could be a useful effect for many images.
08-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And the winner is......

So now we get down to judging the first Compact Camera Post Processing Contest.
Before that, I want to thank everyone who entered and made the contest so interesting.

Prior to the contest I had fiddled with the image a bit. I pretty much liked it but was distracted by the clutter of piers, bridges and stuff.
Also I wanted a bit more light on the shadow side of the sphinx’s face. I also thought the green leaves were pulling attention away from
the sphinx.

For my first effort I cropped a lot off the right side and bottom of the image. That seemed to help a bit. I masked off the sphinx and
applied a mild Gaussian blur to the rest. I also toned down the highlights and boosted the shadows a bit until I could see some texture
and detail in the shadow. That was saved as sphinx1.

It wasn’t too bad, but still needed something…
For my next try I blurred the background as before, but more aggressively. Then, while the sphinx was selected to mask out
everything else, I applied a yellow color filter which made the sphinx gold.
That was saved as sphinx2.

Hmm. It was getting better…
For my last attempt I converted everything except the sphinx into black and white.
Saved as sphinx3.

Liked that one a lot…

The contest kicked off with Bart’s entry. He also went for a square crop and black & while image. Maybe it was his use of
Silver Efex or perhaps the added contrast and vibrance but the tones were richer that I got. Overall I liked this result but it still
left the clutter behind the sphinx.

Next up was Ivoire. It was interesting that he also used Silver Efex but got a very different result which I think came from
added brightness to lighten the shadows . Ivoire didn’t crop the image and the clutter still gave me a problem – but I liked the
gritty appearance of the stone.

Immunogirl’s first entry was approaching what I had in mind, blurring the edges and applying a vignette pulls attention to
the sphinx and away from the clutter. The mild sepia tone also added some warmth to this entry. Maybe cropping would have
made this entry even better.

Next was an unusual entry from Samtr87 who cropped the image quite radically, used “yesteryear” and added grain to
make an old-fashioned style image.

Next up to bat was ghl who straightened and cropped the image, adjusted levels and tidied up a bit. This did reveal the
texture detail in the shadow portion. My guess is that this entry is close to the normal post-processing we all do and the result
was good. Unfortunately it still left some of the bothersome clutter.

That’s when it all went crazy. Immunogirl entered a surreal red sphinx and applied focal zoom. My initial reaction was one
of horror, but the more I looked at it, and the more I came back to it, the more I liked it. It is no longer a photographic image, but
it is a work of art. And the clutter is no longer a factor. To be fair, it is nothing like anything I was expecting – maybe I am just
too much of a conservative fuddy-duddy – and I don’t know how to even begin rating it, but damn, I love that picture.

Chemtech was next with a much more conservative entry which was pretty close to what I had been fooling with – focus on
the sphinx and blur the background, some cropping to get rid of the steps on the right and a nice conversion to black and white
while boosting the shadow detail. Overall very close to my original expectation.

Ivoire submitted an interesting kaleidoscope entry which was highly original and very creative. Sadly while I appreciate the
technique, I can’t see it ever hanging on my wall. Sorry Ivoire, I’m just too conservative.

Next it was Altopiet’s turn with an entry that showed heavily sharpened edges in an almost monochrome, heavily-cropped
image. In the end he apologised for what he did to my photo, but I thought the approach had some artistic merit. Maybe a color
filter would have done miracles for the image?

This obviously prompted Chemtech to have another go with a pseudo-oil painting. The result was interesting on the
stonework and the sky which introduced a nice texture but I felt it needed more. Perhaps this is something interesting enough
to be worthwhile exploring in future.

Laughlady99 submitted an entry with a vivid blue sky by pulling all the color out except blue and then applying Topaz filters
in Photoshop. This ended up rather like some HDR images and it had merit. I liked the overall effect but cropping would have
made it even better in my opinion.

Last but not least, bmonki submitted a cropped entry and applied the redscale III filter in Topaz B&W. This reddens the
shadow while leaving the mid-tones and light areas unchanged for a very interesting effect. There is till clutter in the background
but the leaves on the tree are certainly less intrusive. Overall an interesting effect to try on appropriate images.

What we have proved is that post processing is pretty subjective. You do what you want and then everyone else either likes it
or hates it! Judging a winner is incredibly difficult. Chemtech’s black and white entry was closest to what I did prior to the contest
but I really love that red abstract from Immunogirl…

So the winner is….

Immunogirl's masterpiece

And as first runner-up

Chemtech's entry which closely matched what I had done

And third place goes to

Laughlady99, for the bold colors and really gritty texture on the stone.

Congratulations to everyone though. There were certainly a lot of entries and all of them were good in their own way. Thanks to you all.

Now its over to Immunogirl to run the next contest.

Last edited by Anton Magus; 08-02-2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Text reformat
08-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Well done Immunogirl, and the runners-up Edith and laughlady99. All of you produced great results!:10/10:

My condolences to the losers. Michael, if the judge just took a few tots of my favourite whisky, JD, he would have seen what a brilliant result you actually produced. Perhaps I can suggest to PS programmers, to add a new effect to their next edition, the "inebriated effect"

08-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
My condolences to the losers. Michael, if the judge just took a few tots of my favourite whisky, JD, he would have seen what a brilliant result you actually produced. Perhaps I can suggest to PS programmers, to add a new effect to their next edition, the "inebriated effect"

You show me this and then offer me a Jack Daniels - and still wonder why you don't win?
08-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Congrats to immunogirl on the win, the runner-ups, and all who entered. Great to see the various effects that were produced and the fun to be had.

And thanks to Anton for dreaming up the contest.
08-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote

You show me this and then offer me a Jack Daniels - and still wonder why you don't win?
Sometimes I'm a bit of a cheapskate
08-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Sometimes I'm a bit of a cheapskate
Cheapskate! No way! "Karoomense" are the most generous, friendly and hospitable people in the world.
Nevertheless there are some things you just never share with anyone, like your "vrou", your car and your Johnny Walker Blue Label.
08-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Oh wow. Thanks! I hope my entry inspires all the other little people who don't have photoshop or lightroom and just muddle our ways along in picasa

I never dreamed I'd win this one, so I haven't even checked on here. But I am sure I have a ton of bad photographs for you guys to fix for me. Contest posted later today.
08-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #59

Congrats & good job everyone, can't wait to check out the next challenge!
08-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Congratulations to the Immunogirl!
My favourite as well.
Also to Chemtech and laughlady.

And thanks to Anton for the great idea and doing a real good job with it.