Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #1

The Rules

1. Have Fun!

2. Use any Post Processing Software and techniques.

3. Entries will close on July 30, 2012. Midnight GMT.

4. Maximum image dimensions for entries are 1024x768 pixels

5. Max of 1 image entry per person. Entries may be withdrawn or changed

6. List software used, as well as your method, with your entry so we can all learn.

7. There are no limits or restrictions - make the subject image into whatever you want!
But try not to copy other entries....

8. Contest winner posts the next subject image, sets closing date and judges next competition

9. Have Fun

SUBJECT IMAGE: Sphinx on the Thames Embankment, London.
Typical "tourist shot" but surely it can be improved? Can you turn this into a stunning photo?

If you want to work on the full-sized 12MP image, load the link below into your browser

Sphinx 4000x3000.JPG - Minus

and save the image to disk. Its a 3MB download. Remember to down-size to 1024 x 768 to submit your entry.

Have fun!

06-27-2012, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice idea Anton!

I'm far from a photoshop wizard - I don't even have it but I thought I'd give it a try.

Strangely enough, I came up with a B&W conversion.

Imported in LR and opened in Silver Efex.
Starting from a preset, I added some contrast and a red filter.
Then I used a film emulation Kodak Plus-X 125PX Pro.
Added slight Sepia toning.
Cropped in LR, added some clarity and vibrance and lifted the black clippings.
I left the face of the sphinx somewhat shaded to preserve the mystery

Actually, I had some variants but I picked this one.

Almost a square crop. To be on the safe side, I set the short side to 768 rather than the long side to 1024
06-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's really nice Bart. Somehow the tones seem "richer" and the details seem sharper.

I used to shoot a lot of black and white in my early film days when Tri-X was "the" film to use, but since going digital I just seem to leave everything in color.
After seeing this I guess I need to have a re-think.
06-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Thank you, Anton! Appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
... I guess I need to have a re-think.
Definitely worth looking into. Luckily most of the programs like Silver Efex, Topaz B&W, DxO filmpack come in trial versions and are pretty intuitive.

06-27-2012, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Liked the bnw treatment Bart did also. Heres my take. Run thru Nik Silver Efex and then a tiltshift camera phone program with contrast and brightness adjusted

Last edited by ivoire; 01-22-2013 at 05:48 AM.
06-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Amazing - although you and Bart both converted to B&W the images are so totally different.
You have managed to recover a lot of detail that was lost in the shadows, but the highlights are not blown out either.
The stonework also has a gritty texture which seems to suit the image.
Overall I think it increases the interest factor in the subject. Very nice entry and thanks Ivoire.
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Amazing - although you and Bart both converted to B&W the images are so totally different.
You have managed to recover a lot of detail that was lost in the shadows, but the highlights are not blown out either.
The stonework also has a gritty texture which seems to suit the image.
Overall I think it increases the interest factor in the subject. Very nice entry and thanks Ivoire.
Thanks Anton. Nik Silver Efex lets me add some structure to the process which gives a more 'gritty' feel to stonework, concrete, pavement, etc

06-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My rendition (for now):
06-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Immunogirl, for being the third entry - and a very interesting entry too.

I can see that you have blurred the edges and added a vignette. This certainly draws attention to the primary subject.
Please tell us what software you used and how you did it, as I am sure many would like to learn how to do this.
06-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I only know how to do little things in post-processing so I cropped it down in Lightroom, applied the Yesteryear preset, and put in some film grain. It's kind of like cheating, but I liked the look. Interesting topic for a contest btw.

06-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The differences we get to see are really interesting.
As are the choices that are being made.
06-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
ghl

Here's my entry. Some rotating and cropping and resysthesis in GIMP to get rid of some bockground clutter. Level adjust also.

Last edited by ghl; 07-09-2013 at 11:32 PM.
06-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
I only know how to do little things in post-processing so I cropped it down in Lightroom, applied the Yesteryear preset, and put in some film grain. It's kind of like cheating, but I liked the look. Interesting topic for a contest btw.
Very often with PP, less is more. Its all about whether you are happy with the result. Cheating? Only if you try to pass it off as unchanged and fresh from the camera. And most cameras today can do a lot of processing in-camera, anyway.
I like the warmth - another nice entry. Well done
06-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks, Immunogirl, for being the third entry - and a very interesting entry too.

I can see that you have blurred the edges and added a vignette. This certainly draws attention to the primary subject.
Please tell us what software you used and how you did it, as I am sure many would like to learn how to do this.
Hrmmm... I used picasa, so nothing very sophisticated. Soft focus probably, sepia. I think I might have hit I'm feeling lucky, and I might have even hit holgo-ish (I would have done sepia after that)
06-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghl Quote
Here's my entry. Some rotating and cropping and resysthesis in GIMP to get rid of some bockground clutter. Level adjust also.
Hi ghl, and welcome. Thanks for submitting a nice entry.
The difference made by cropping an image is quite remarkable. I certainly seem to allow too much clutter into most of my pictures and this definitely draws the eye away from the primary subject.
Obviously the rest of your changes were minimal, which is just fine. As my Pappy used to say, "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!"