Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Does it have any dynamic range boost settings? Shadow/Highlight correction?
I just bought one and have been messing with it for a week. I really like this camera. Awesome camera for a rugged P&S. Usually you have to sacrifice a lot more photography features and quality for the ruggedness.

Yes, it has both shadow/highlight correction, but in testing them I couldn't see where they did all that well. Since I was trying it with both of them set to "on" it may have been cancelling each other out, so to speak??? Not really sure. I find that when I have the quality setting at the highest, IQ boost turned on, sharpness and contrast bumped up, and the mode set to "P", it takes pictures and video better than any other P&S I've owned. My old Pentax wireless remote operates it, too. I think they now sell a waterproof version of that remote for the WG series for not too much $. The now typical P&S features of face, smile, and blink detection are very new to me, but I'm finding them very useful. I took a self-portrait group shot the other day, and rather than use the remote or timer-run technique, I just told everyone not to smile until we all were ready. 1-2-3 "smile" and the camera saw the smiles and took the pic. This might not be such a "WOW" thing for some of you, but it definitely was for me.

It offers 1080p/30fps video, which is very nice, but it also has a 720p/60fps video mode, which would be pretty cool stuff on a bike. It also has a configurable time lapse setting that then converts your stills into a video, and it even has a lo-res 60fps video function that designed for smooth slow-motion playback, which you also might find useful on your bike.

The LEDs around the lens could be used as a marker/visibility light, but it doesn't project far enough to use a true headlight.

I bought mostly to serve as my fishing camera, but after using it for a week I'm thinking I'll use it for more than that. I'll probably be leaving the K-X kit at home (or at least back at whatever home-base I'm operating out of on vacation, etc.), and just take this little beastie with me instead. It would be nice to go light for a change.

07-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
I just bought one and have been messing with it for a week. I really like this camera. Awesome camera for a rugged P&S. Usually you have to sacrifice a lot more photography features and quality for the ruggedness.

Yes, it has both shadow/highlight correction, but in testing them I couldn't see where they did all that well. Since I was trying it with both of them set to "on" it may have been cancelling each other out, so to speak??? Not really sure. I find that when I have the quality setting at the highest, IQ boost turned on, sharpness and contrast bumped up, and the mode set to "P", it takes pictures and video better than any other P&S I've owned. My old Pentax wireless remote operates it, too. I think they now sell a waterproof version of that remote for the WG series for not too much $. The now typical P&S features of face, smile, and blink detection are very new to me, but I'm finding them very useful. I took a self-portrait group shot the other day, and rather than use the remote or timer-run technique, I just told everyone not to smile until we all were ready. 1-2-3 "smile" and the camera saw the smiles and took the pic. This might not be such a "WOW" thing for some of you, but it definitely was for me.

It offers 1080p/30fps video, which is very nice, but it also has a 720p/60fps video mode, which would be pretty cool stuff on a bike. It also has a configurable time lapse setting that then converts your stills into a video, and it even has a lo-res 60fps video function that designed for smooth slow-motion playback, which you also might find useful on your bike.

The LEDs around the lens could be used as a marker/visibility light, but it doesn't project far enough to use a true headlight.

I bought mostly to serve as my fishing camera, but after using it for a week I'm thinking I'll use it for more than that. I'll probably be leaving the K-X kit at home (or at least back at whatever home-base I'm operating out of on vacation, etc.), and just take this little beastie with me instead. It would be nice to go light for a change.
Wow, sounds ideal, I didn't realize how rich the video options were. Thanks for the detailed reply! I think I will have to drop some coin
08-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #18

And you'll be dropping less coin depending on which color you want. The all-black model is getting pretty close to $200 typically with free shipping.