Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Any Rugged P+S cameras with RAW?

As title, something like a WG2 but with RAW to eek the most out of the shots.

07-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
usn ret's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Calif High Desert
Posts: 1,146
Follow the attached link to get to an assortment of P&S cameras that are RAW capable..Cliff

Camera feature search: Digital Photography Review
07-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,314
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Follow the attached link to get to an assortment of P&S cameras that are RAW capable..Cliff Camera feature search: Digital Photography Review
lol choosing fixed lens cameras with sealing and raw gives 0 results.

Does it need to be small? You might be better off getting an older Pentax DSLR with WR and a WR lens, and not even pay much more.
07-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,912
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
lol choosing fixed lens cameras with sealing and raw gives 0 results.

Does it need to be small? You might be better off getting an older Pentax DSLR with WR and a WR lens, and not even pay much more.
FWIW, just about any Canon Powershot (especially the older ones) are capable of RAW if you don't mind usung a third part camera hack named CHDK.

I used this for a couple years on an old A470 I paid about $100 for to enable things like bracketing and RAW.

07-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
rhe
Site Supporter
rhe's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 270
I was very happy with the Panasonic Lumix LX2 that I passed along to my son when I upgraded to the LX5 that does an even better job! ==> both shoot RAW.

Panasonic has just released the Lumix LX7.
07-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian
wildman's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flyover America
Posts: 4,307
My Canon S95 - small, light, metal body, finely made and finished, full manual control, RAW, excellent quality pics without a lick of trouble so far and I've taken it everywhere under all kinds of conditions. As a bonus it's also my best low light camera by far - F/2.

I left it out on a picnic table over a rainy night on it's back with the lens pointing up and it worked fine the next morning.

Last edited by wildman; 07-21-2012 at 09:15 AM.
07-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Original Poster
Just to reconfirm the question. Yes needs to be water PROOF/ rugged and small.
Not a big fan of underwater housings.
BTW its primarily to go on my handlebars while road cycling hence the smallest possible size/I take the DSLR if the primary reason for the ride is photography.
Time lapse and decent video would also be a plus but not essential.
A WR Q would be ideal

Last edited by Tonto; 07-21-2012 at 09:32 PM.
07-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
FWIW, just about any Canon Powershot (especially the older ones) are capable of RAW if you don't mind usung a third part camera hack named CHDK.

I used this for a couple years on an old A470 I paid about $100 for to enable things like bracketing and RAW.
May look into that, thanks does it use DNG to use in just about any regular RAW editor?

07-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Original Poster
And no Go-Pro/Contour suggestions please, I'm looking for good still PQ that can recovered in RAW if need be.
07-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
My Canon S95 - small, light, metal body, finely made and finished, full manual control, RAW, excellent quality pics without a lick of trouble so far and I've taken it everywhere under all kinds of conditions. As a bonus it's also my best low light camera by far - F/2.

I left it out on a picnic table over a rainy night on it's back with the lens pointing up and it worked fine the next morning.
Good to know - I intend to mount the camera to my handlebars of my bike semi-permanently so will need to handle rain and a hosedown when I clean my bike
07-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Original Poster
I wonder if the macro lamps on the WG2 would make for an ok-ish bike light?
07-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #12
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
Something that may be overlooked in the rugged camera definition...

A cameras ability to keep out dust from the inside elements and also even off of the sensor. There are a lot of cameras which qualify as a p&s (some exceeding five hundred) that still allow a lof in through the (physical) zooming functions. Both Sony and Canon are infamous for this.
07-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Original Poster
Its looking like the WG2 for now, have to do without the RAW, everything else on it suits to a T.
07-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
Senior Member
adelorenzo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Posts: 171
I just got a WG2 a couple of weeks ago and am quite happy with it. I don't really miss the raw files so much as I miss not having A, S and M modes.
07-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
I just got a WG2 a couple of weeks ago and am quite happy with it. I don't really miss the raw files so much as I miss not having A, S and M modes.
Does it have any dynamic range boost settings? Shadow/Highlight correction?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
digital camera, pentax cameras, point and shoot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax rugged 360 degree digital camera. Wait, what? i83N Pentax News and Rumors 40 09-22-2012 04:37 PM
For Sale - Sold: 2 SF1 Cameras & 2 ZX30 Cameras w/ manuals Only SF1s Left Docrwm Sold Items 9 07-21-2012 07:08 AM
Landscape the Rugged and Beautiful Mountains of Death Valley Bob Harris Post Your Photos! 17 04-18-2012 01:54 PM
1/10/12 - CES: Mystery rugged-looking K-mount no-VF camera spotted Docrwm Pentax News and Rumors 34 01-17-2012 05:50 PM
Landscape Rugged Arizona mountains PALADIN85020 Post Your Photos! 2 09-23-2010 10:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top