Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Slave flash for digital

I've been looking in to ways to trigger slave flash with Pentax WG-2 and got my self Seagul SYK-5 slave trigger that can supposedly handle digital cameras but I hand't had any luck with it. If I set the camera flash on red-eye the trigger seems to fire on time but I don't see it on picture. Has anybody tried it with Pentax compact or do you have some other solution?

08-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I tested the slave trigger with K20D onboard flash and it works fine in plain P-TTL mode but not in red eye reduction mode.
Since DSLR has to move mechanical parts the preflash is distinguishable by naked eye and here's how K20D does it:

P-TTL:

|button pressed
|metering flash
|
|shutter open
|exposure flash
|
|shutter closed

red eye + P-TTL:

|button pressed
|red eye flash
|
|
|
|
|metering flash
|
|shutter open
|exposure flash
|
|shutter closed

The trigger ignores first flash and fires on second flash. With red eye enabled that would be the metering flash.

I believe the WG-2 does it the same way as K20D but exposure flash follows metering flash too fast for trigger to detect.
I'm on a lookout for a trigger that can do it faster or one that fires with delay.
08-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm assuming you already tried the trigger with the non-redeye mode. There is another trigger like this, the Sunpak DSU-01. I think it's discontinued now, but it's still available online at some places I think. If you don't need a hot shoe solution, you can find some slave flashes that have preflash cancellation. I have a sunpak that does this and a morris "Digital" one that works well. But I haven't used one with a WG-2.