Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #2

The Rules

1. Have Fun!

2. Use any Post Processing Software and techniques.

3. Entries will close on August 30, 2012. Midnight GMT.

4. Maximum image dimensions for entries are 1024x768 pixels

5. Max of 1 image entry per person. Entries may be withdrawn or changed

6. List software used, as well as your method, with your entry so we can all learn.

7. There are no limits or restrictions - make the subject image into whatever you want!
But try not to copy other entries....

8. Contest winner posts the next subject image, sets closing date and judges next competition

9. Have Fun

I will probably be traveling the first week of September, so we'll have to figure out if you guys want someone else to judge or just wait till I get back.

The pic - something I took out the window of the car one day.

08-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Immunogirl for posting the next contest. My vote is that we wait for you to get back from travelling.
You have posted a tricky image for the contest and it will be very interesting to see what people do with it. It will be a good challenge.
08-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

A lot of rainy day cloning, perspective change, some cropping, moved the sign across the street, nik silver efex to convert to bnw and an overlay to color the grafitti

Last edited by ivoire; 01-22-2013 at 05:45 AM.
08-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'm going to be back on Sept 10th. I'm willing to nominate a surrogate judge if someone who doesn't plan on contributing to the competition wants to be judge.

Anton - I was looking at that image thinking there were a couple diff ways I'd want to photoshop it if I was smart enough to do it... Different parts of the pics seem to beg to be enhanced in certain ways. I just grabbed the camera from my purse & took a pic out the window as fast as possible while driving one day (I was stopped at a light). Pic taken with a canon d10, btw. I'm pretty taken with that camera.

Awesome Ivoire - that's somewhat similar to one of the ways I envisioned that pic, I hadn't thought of making that black & white look sketchlike in the back (probably 'cause I don't know how!)

08-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am not a huge fan of turning everything into B&W - it really helps some images but not others. When I looked at
this image it seemed to cry out for bold colors, particularly the rough, grey-ish wood panels and torn poster
fragments on the left and the graffiti. So, adjusted curves for improved contrast and then used color balance to add
a chunk of red, a squirt of magenta and a pinch of yellow. Also boosted vibrance and fiddled with exposure to get
more or less even tones. I was looking for that "golden look" you get from late afternoon sunshine.

The problem was with the buildings across the street. They became a bit intrusive so I thought they may benefit
from a little blurring, but not so much that all detail would be lost. I wanted to retain some reflections in the building
windows. The addition of a lens flare also helped to stress the lighting direction. I left the fallen sign board as it
added to the general run-down appearance of the building.

Last edited by Anton Magus; 08-07-2012 at 06:55 AM.
08-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice work Anton. I like high contrast as well as bold colors. i thought along your lines but decided to go for color against bnw as it gives a stark appearance (much like the rundown appearance of the scene)
08-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Nice work Anton. I like high contrast as well as bold colors. i thought along your lines but decided to go for color against bnw as it gives a stark appearance (much like the rundown appearance of the scene)
Thanks Ivoire. Part of the problem I have is that nearly all my color -> b&w conversions come out kind of soft. I had a trial copy of nik silver efex and that did allow all kinds of quick and easy adjustments to give the grainy/harsh/stark result that I mostly want from b&w - I like the textures to be very visible. I clearly need to spend some more time fooling around in Photoshop to get the result I want, even if it is a multi-step process rather than a one-click process.
08-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm in awe of both of you.

If I win more of these contests, maybe I can make you guys fix all my bad pics!

08-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fade to gray

my processing is of a much tamer nature

first some tuning in LR4 on the light ( gives more room for further actions)
Then to Silver Efex Pro where it inevitably ends up in a grey scale

08-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice antique/dreamy feel to that one.

I've just noticed that window across the street says SAVAGES in it.
08-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Hi there, here's my post.

For post processing used APS CS6:
1. Some contrast editing using layers (BW conversion, blending mode overlay or luminosity and then some blurring and sharpening).
2. Turning into pencil sketch and multiply blending mode to increase the edges (using layers, BW conversion, lighten colors blending mode and glowing edges filter).
3. Some burning and dodging to increase contrast..
4. Adjusments (levels, saturation)
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ivoire, Anton and Taurusek, Impressive!
Way to complicated actions for me.
08-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Taurusek, I like the dark gritty feel to that interpretation
08-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

08-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Another idea

I have spent some time looking at Immunogirl's original photograph and puzzling over it. To me it depicts the economic decline of what was probably once a thriving community. The sadness is that it is now seedy and run down. One of the problems with the image is that it has two primary subjects and your eye flicks back and forth between them. You focus on the graffiti but then find yourself looking at the building across the street with the interesting window reflections, then back to the graffiti....

Ivoire, Taurusek and myself tried to stop that by pulling maximum attention to the graffiti and reducing the emphasis in the building across the street by converting it to B&W, or darkening it, or blurring it. The difficulty is that the building sits right at the primary focus area according to the "Rule of Thirds". Your attention is automatically pulled there. Secondly we tried to divert attention to the graffiti by brightening it up which is totally opposite to the seedy and run down appearance the image depicts.

Bart came closest with his B&W conversion. The grainy image and the white vignette helped to dampen the focus on the building across the street and gave the picture an "Old Photo" effect which was great - but it made it kind of "romantic/dreamy" rather than "seedy/run down".

So the problem becomes "How can you give this image one principal subject and keep the sad atmosphere of this declining area?"

Thinking outside the box, it came to me that what was needed was to introduce a new main subject. A subject appropriate for the run down area...

So, by dropping the image of a homeless man into Immunogirl's photograph we neatly cover the building across the street and do away with the need to brighten and enhance the graffiti.

Image converted to B&W and added contrast and grain. Homeless man image copied in, resized and exposure corrected. I should have devoted more time to cleaning up the edges, but it serves to illustrate the method. Shadow painted in to make the image more natural.
All in PS CS6.