Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #1

Pentax Zoom 90 WR - Has anyone used in concert setting??

I have a Pentax Zoom 90 WR that I was thinking of taking to an indoor concert. I am an absolute beginner. Has anyone ever used this basic a camera for an indoor concert and would it be worth carrying around?? We will be in the Bridgestone Arena-Nashville in Section 214, so not too close to stage. I need help with film selection - I have Kodak 800 right now. Want to use what I have and not buy anything else. Thanks for any suggestions/help, etc.

Cody59

08-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Assuming photography is even allowed, I would not bother with a camera if you have no low-light photo experience. You will likely have camera and subject movement with slow shutter speeds causing blurred images.
08-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the response.
08-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

It's a competent point & shoot camera in good light, but the lens is slow especially at longer focal lengths.

If the venue/artist allows you to go up near the stage for photos you might get some decent shots.
But if you plan to shoot from your seats better to leave the camera home and just enjoy the show.

Chris

08-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It's a competent point & shoot camera in good light, but the lens is slow especially at longer focal lengths.

If the venue/artist allows you to go up near the stage for photos you might get some decent shots.
But if you plan to shoot from your seats better to leave the camera home and just enjoy the show.

Chris

Thank you, Chris - I think I will take your advice and just enjoy the show-I won't be that close and it will be so crazy anyway, trying to take candid pictures will be distracting!

Cody59
08-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I enjoy having my camera with me and taking photos, even if a lot of or even most of them don't turn out too good. If you are like that, feel free to buy some low light film (high ISO number) and read up some tutorials on low light concert photography.
Basically you will want the f-number (or aperture) to be a low number, as low as it goes probably, and the shutter speed to be as slow as you can go without making blurry images (this depends on how steady your hand is)
But if it can cause problems or make you not enjoy the concert as much,.. well, its your call. Have fun and good luck either way