Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Three from the GRD3, all taken at home, with sharpening and levels in PS to lift them a bit.
Your cat's nose is my favourite (but then I just love cats!) Its so difficult to get them to pose and they seem to "know" what is happening
and look away at exactly the wrong time.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Fun! Here are three from the Oly XZ-1, using its "super-macro" mode. The lens was almost touching the paper... Camera was sitting on my desk, the subject was leaned up against my keyboard, and the flashlight app of my Android phone served as a soft light for the two straight-on shots. Just held it up above while tripping the shutter.

Bonus point for those who recognize the subject item
Some sort of test prints from an inkjet?
Reminds me of a teacher I had years ago. For punishment I had to write all the numbers from 1 to 100 a hundred times.
Is this the modern version?

Whatever the subject, I must say the image quality from the Oly is pretty good.

09-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you Sue!

Great entries. I think I'd go for the cat although the others make for fine abstracts.

Jim, that is impressive.
Last one for me. No idea what it is, though.
09-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Fun! Here are three from the Oly XZ-1, using its "super-macro" mode.
I think Oly supermacro is pretty much unbeatable. Love the choice of subject here, Jim, my fave is actually the last, though, nice OOF areas
09-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Some sort of test prints from an inkjet?
Reminds me of a teacher I had years ago. For punishment I had to write all the numbers from 1 to 100 a hundred times.
Is this the modern version?

Whatever the subject, I must say the image quality from the Oly is pretty good.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Last one for me. No idea what it is, though.
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I think Oly supermacro is pretty much unbeatable. Love the choice of subject here, Jim, my fave is actually the last, though, nice OOF areas
I liked the way that last one turned out too, nice to see such a shallow DOF on it. I have not tried the supermacro mode underwater, because I don't think I could keep it steady enough or sediment-free at that range... But on my desk it works well!

The subject is an old IBM computer punch card from the early 80's, that a coworker gave me (to use as note pads). But, yes, I really have used 'em in my job, for their original purpose... Having a box of 2000 cards, punched in sequence with data and commands and actual program code on them - you do NOT want to drop the box on the floor!

Jim

09-18-2012, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly, it appears that I lost an old friend today...

I decided to take a few quick Macro's for this thread using my trusty old Optio S that I've had since 2003. I didn't know just how close I would be able to shoot with it, so I broke out a Starrett 6" Machinist ruler, set it on the kitchen table and focused on the 1/64" scale. It was dark and would require a time exposure under these conditions, but I was just checking the focus so it didn't really matter. I intended to pick a nice well lit subject for the actual image, this was just a test to see how close I could get and still maintain a sharp focus. I took the Optio in hand, put it on the subject and pushed the shutter button to check the focus, but I pushed it to far by accident and the camera fired. After taking the image the screen on the back of the camera went black, except for a message "A90"?
I did get the image though... It is a low light "hand held" time exposure "taken inadvertently", so it is far from perfect. However, since it is likely the last image taken with this camera I felt it was only fitting to post it here anyway.

09-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, sorry about that, Fastback. The final image was pretty good as well!
If you are going to trash the Optio, maybe you want to try the suggestions on this webite ERROR A90 - FixYa
Who knows? It may just give the old Optio a new lease of life

Last edited by Anton Magus; 09-18-2012 at 01:01 PM.
09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Cool image, Fastback!
Something to remember your Optio by if it can't be resurrected.

09-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well done, Fastback Hope the Optio can be revived!
09-19-2012, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I finally got out of the pool and off the beach and dusted off the XZ-1. After looking over all the excellent entries i finally managed to shoot something worthwhile. Raindrops thru the windshield[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/donscreation/8004975850/]droplets[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/donscreation/]2Deye[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">
09-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Raindrops thru the windshield
Great image Ivoire.
09-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #26
Pentaxian

nice shot! Your windshield's a lot cleaner than mine...
09-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

nice shot! Your windshield's a lot cleaner than mine...
Tks... it should be after a pounding rainstorm on the back roads of Florida. Love the free everyday car washes here! Now i just have to find a few more decent subjects.

@Anton.... great idea for competition and tks for the comment. Have been dragging my feet here in Florida as the beach, sun and pool have been grabbing all my attention.

Since i was not willing to get a macro of the 12' gator i saw, i decided to get a distant cousin. Here's the far less dangerous Florida Anole. XZ-1 (super macro mode f1.8, 1/80th, iso100). Cost me a small fortune in bugs to get it to pose for a close-up!

[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/donscreation/8006540080/]anole[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/donscreation/]2Deye[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

Last edited by ivoire; 09-20-2012 at 09:51 AM.
09-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Really like the windshield, Ivoire! Great composition and out of focus.

the reptile is a bit to close for me
09-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Really like the windshield, Ivoire! Great composition and out of focus.

the reptile is a bit to close for me
No worries... it's only 3.5" long and they are as cute as kitty's

Last edited by ivoire; 09-20-2012 at 11:49 AM.
09-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I finally got out of the pool and off the beach and dusted off the XZ-1. After looking over all the excellent entries i finally managed to shoot something worthwhile. Raindrops thru the windshield
That was worth getting out of the pool for. Wonderful shot!