Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Here's my entries, all done with a Pentax Optio I-10, macro mode, shutter speeds 1//00s-1/320s, f/7.8, ISO 80.
Nice entries, particularly the spider web.

09-27-2012, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Nice entries, particularly the spider web.
Agreed
09-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Another shot taken of stuff kick'n around by my desk using the Optio S.

The Balloonists

Last edited by Fastback67; 09-27-2012 at 01:14 PM.
09-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #64
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks!

To Anton and Bart, thanks, I appreciate the kind words.
Ron

09-28-2012, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Some great shots so far!
Here's my entries, all done with a Pentax Optio I-10, macro mode, shutter speeds 1//00s-1/320s, f/7.8, ISO 80. I found that (with this camera, at least) if you turn the flash menu options to "On" in daylight- instead of "Auto On", it forces the camera to go to a higher f-stop and lowers the ISO. Very handy!
Ron
OOOHHH, I missed the spider web when i went straight to P5! Lovely!
09-28-2012, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter

Me too... the Spider Web is my favorite of the group. Each drop of water looks like it's own little world.
09-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #67
Site Supporter

More Thanks!

To Sue and Fastback67, I appreciate your comments, Thanks!
Looking at the data for that shot, it's one of the few I did that day that didn't use the flash. The natural sunlight provided all the "sparkle" needed.
But that window of time is fleeting. The dew evaporates quickly, as I have found out when lugging my DSLR, macro lens and tripod. The Optio is much faster to use when things are changing.
Ron
09-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fastback67 Quote
Another shot taken of stuff kick'n around by my desk using the Optio S.

The Balloonists
Beautiful!

09-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #69
Site Supporter

OK... just one more.

I have a number of trees up in various parts of the house at any given time, decorated for the seasons. This is a quickie from the one in the living room, currently decorated for Fall.

Taken with the little Optio S... I added a little Soft Focus to the back of the image just to give it that look,

09-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Very warm and homey image!
09-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #71

Have enjoyed seeing all these great entries, well done, folks!
09-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Competition #58 Winners

Judging Time

There were 32 images entered into this contest and I can honestly say every one was very good in its own way.
These compact camera contests are not so much about pure image quality but rather about capturing a well-composed
image which fits the theme or topic very well. The contest this month was all about capturing a close-up image of some
subject. Judging was difficult.

The first step was to decide how attention-grabbing the image was. Did it have that special magic that makes people
want to look at it for longer, or again and again? This is really pretty subjective but I did get three people to pick the
images that really best caught their attention. Between us we came up with a short-list of 9 images.

Special mentions who were close, but just didn't make it - Kyteflyer's "Tom's Nose" and rbefly's "Web".
Kyteflyer's "Tom's nose"

rbefly's "Web"

Those that went through to the final selection were:
Audiobomber's "bee", Bart's "wood", Fastback's "brownie camera", Fastback's "guitar switch",
Immunogirl's "yellow dragonfly", Immunogirl's "sunglasses", Ivoire's "raindrops", Roxndox's "card(#3)" and
Samtr87's "nightstand".

Next came the tough choice - was the composition of the overall image excellent or would better framing or
a different angle have improved it? Could it or should it have been cropped?

Frankly we were getting a bit nit-picky, but the 9 images were so good it was otherwise impossible to decide
on winners.

Here Audiobomber's "bee" would have been better if it was not shot head-on but more from one side, and
some of the flowers could have been cropped away to make the bee itself more prominent.

Immunogirl's "yellow dragonfly" had its tail cut off. Holding the camera diagonally and framing the whole dragonfly
would have made a very good image into a completely stunning photograph.

Immunogirl's "sunglasses" is also a problematic image. The sunglasses and the drink are quite far away and small,
although the wooden planking directs attention to them, but perhaps the planking is the primary subject.

Roxndox's card is an excellent composition of a difficult subject. The perspective view is just great.

Lastly I tried to see if the close-up view of the subject made it more interesting.

Fastback's "camera" and "guitar", Bart's "wood" and Samtr87's "nightstand" are all made more interesting by
being close up shots.

So the results are:
Joint winning entries: Fastback's "guitar switch" and "brownie camera".

Joint Second Place: Bart's "wood" and Immunogirl's "yellow dragonfly".

Joint Third Place: Samtr87's "nightstand" and Ivoire's "raindrops"

Joint Fourth Place: Audiobomber's "bee", Immunogirl's "sunglasses" and Roxndox's "card"(#3).

Very well done to the winner and sincerest congratulations to you all. Any one of these images could have won
a contest in their own right. They are all excellent images and it is quite amazing that they are taken with small
and inexpensive compact cameras. I would be proud to have any one of them blown up to poster size and
displayed on my wall.

Thanks for your entries and I look forward to seeing your entries for whatever challenge Fastback sets for us.
09-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Great contest and congrats to the winner(s) and all who participated. Very impressive PnS entries all around and it just shows that having any camera can result in great images with effort.

Many thanks to Anton!
09-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Indeed, thanks Anton Congratulations to all winners, esp fastback!... Looking forward to the next
10-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #75
Site Supporter

A Fun Contest!

Anton, Thanks for your effort in putting this contest on, there were some fine entries and I enjoyed giving it a try.
Congratulations to all the winners and entrants.
When's the next one?
Ron