Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #31
Forum Member

I have an X-5 on order. As the owner, at one end of the spectrum, of a K-r and older Nikon D70 and D50 DSLRs, and at the mid range, several very nice older bridge cameras with every feature you would want for the time they came out, and at the low end, about five "under $300-$400" cameras, I can tell you that at this latter range, I don't tear a camera apart looking for every feature I would like because you can't get everything for the amount of money you are paying, otherwise you would be buying a $500 or $600 camera, but you can take surprisingly good photos with cameras in this range. The main thing I look for is ergonomics and secondarily photo quality, but to be honest, of these cameras I own, none really do bad photo quality. Facial color could be better on one. And ergonomics to some extent in varying degrees on most. So I am going to enjoy this camera, and I applaud Pentax for leaving off some features that I might not have used anyway in a camera of this type, that I didn't want to specifically pay extra for, applaud them for putting this little camera in what looks like a very ergonomic body, and hope for reliability.

10-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ronin67 Quote
Thanks sir. Where can I find the monthly point and shoot contests on the forum? Have a great day and may God bless.

Ed
Hi Ed. The point and shoot contest can be found here.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-compact-digital-film-cameras/20087...tion-59-a.html
10-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darlene Quote
The main thing I look for is ergonomics and secondarily photo quality, but to be honest, of these cameras I own, none really do bad photo quality. Facial color could be better on one. And ergonomics to some extent in varying degrees on most. So I am going to enjoy this camera, and I applaud Pentax for leaving off some features that I might not have used anyway in a camera of this type, that I didn't want to specifically pay extra for, applaud them for putting this little camera in what looks like a very ergonomic body, and hope for reliability.
The only valid reason for buying any camera is to take photographs. The choice of particular camera then depends on the kind of photographs you want to take, how you will use the camera and how much you want to spend. The problem comes in when people don't know exactly what they want to do with the camera or when they know very little about cameras and think that they all perform (or should perform) in the same way. If they do a little research first it can save a lot of frustration later.

Ultimately it is about what suits your needs, and your needs only. But there will usually be a range of cameras perfect for your needs and it then makes good sense to pick the one with the best image quality, which is most comfortable for you to handle and which fits your budget. By most accounts the X-5 is the right price and has pretty good image quality and a nice handling feel. I hope you will be very happy with it.
10-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #34
Forum Member

Thank you, Anton. Let me explain that I put ergonomics #1 because I have an old injury to my right index and middle fingers. So I do struggle with some cameras and some shutter buttons and miss shots. I find Nikon and Pentax are the most ergonomic brands for me. There are what I consider my "best" cameras but there are also times when I can't take those particular cameras or don't want to be bothered with the complexities of them or the weight. Or I need it to fit in my purse or be less conspicuous. So I do appreciate the less expensive cameras and the option to choose which one works best for a situation. If a camera doesn't produce good enough quality photos, I generally sell it or give it away.

10-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darlene Quote
Thank you, Anton. Let me explain that I put ergonomics #1 because I have an old injury to my right index and middle fingers. So I do struggle with some cameras and some shutter buttons and miss shots. I find Nikon and Pentax are the most ergonomic brands for me. There are what I consider my "best" cameras but there are also times when I can't take those particular cameras or don't want to be bothered with the complexities of them or the weight. Or I need it to fit in my purse or be less conspicuous. So I do appreciate the less expensive cameras and the option to choose which one works best for a situation. If a camera doesn't produce good enough quality photos, I generally sell it or give it away.
Admittedly it does make good sense to have a camera which is comfortable to hold and use. I have a left-handed friend who doesn't find right-handed cameras very comfortable to use but takes some good shots with a point and shoot held upside down so the shutter release can be pressed with the left thumb.

I think the most difficult and fiddly control on the X-5 (like the X-90 and many others) is the zoom control switch around the shutter button. It takes time to get used to it and it lacks any sensitivity. A manual zoom ring on the lens, or even a 5 position switch on the lens mounting with some speed control positions ( fast in - slow in - OFF - slow out - fast out) would be a huge improvement and I can't believe it would add any significant cost to the camera. That said, I hope you have great fun with your X-5 and capture many happy memories with it.
10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Well I decided to pick one of these X5 camera's today for the wife. We've never really been happy with her current p&s, so decided to try this out. If we don't like it, we've got 15 days to return it. So far so good. Have to give it a go and see what I can get out of it. I think for her it will be a perfect "little" camera.
10-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #37
Forum Member

Pentax X5 serial number database

X5 owners, there is a new link for the X5 serial number database. Thanks Ole and Adam.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-serial-number-database/?do=viewserials&id=472

10-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have an X-5, but recently handled one in a store. I was surprised by how solid it was. I had some old Canon powershot (which was kind of bridge at that time), and the X-5 is much sturdier, has some heft to it.
Apparently, it was so much better than expected, I felt compelled to write this otherwise pointless post. I'm sure there are better reviews out there

10-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #39

I got my hands on one in the local store (LD for those in BC) today. According to the gent behind the counter, he'd only unboxed it today and hadn't had a chance to play with it yet. Apparently, I was the first customer to get my greasy little fingers on it (my words).

Feels good in the hands, quite sturdy and the buttons have a nice feel to them. Zoom was quiet and looked smooth through the viewfinder. A little lighter than I was expecting even with the full load of 4 AAs.

The view finder displayed a bit of red ghosting or artifact along sharp edges (counter top, vertical display racks) when first brought up to the eye. Whether this was due to the fluorescent lights in the store or what I don't know but it cleared after a second or two.

I admit to being torn between the X-5 and the Panasonic FZ60/62 as a "toss in my pocket" (not really) backup to my SLR. The X-5 has an adjustable LCD, no aperature/shutter speed priority modes, uses AA's and is around $100 cheaper. Lens specs appear to be a toss up. It would be nice to see a good detailed review of the X-5 though.
10-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #40

I have had my X-5 for a little over a week now. I haven't taken a lot of shots with it, just a couple 100. I am sending it back because it just doesn't fit my requirements. The best suggestion I can make is to do what I didn't, and that is download the manual and read through it. (Though I advised Pentaximaging that the English and Spanish versions are transposed over a week ago, they still were a few days ago.) There you will discover what functions are unavailable/reduced in which modes. Just a few: no optical zoom in any movie mode, lowered res. in some shooting 'scenes', no bracketing in some 'scenes', the HDR mode is done from one image, though it did a fairly decent job the few times I tried it. The biggest problem I have is trying to get a focus lock where I want it while shooting on water. The camera kept throwing the focus box all over the place and not on my intended and only subject. Shots of water fowl were hit and miss. I mostly used the 'auto' mode without the green button being actuated. The face detection was on and would not disable but the smile feature was disabled so it wasn't waiting for the duck(s) to flash a toothy grin. Could be I received a defective copy or there is something I'm doing wrong with this camera but either way, it just isn't working for me. The main reason for getting an X-5 was to take it on the boat so if it encounters a catastrophe, it wouldn't be my K-5 that gets ruined. The focusing would likely be more accurate if the camera would accept a polarizer, but it won't. Your mileage may vary. If you do decide to read through the manual, starting on page 167 is a chart that shows what is usable in every scene/mode. I didn't see there where museum scene restricts the pixel count. I really wanted to like this camera but I'm just not able to hit the ground running like I did with the K-5.

Last edited by DizziPixel; 10-20-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: missing content
10-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As the bloke who started this thread, I'm afraid to say I've ordered a Panasonic FZ200, based on the fantastic reviews I've read. I expect the Panny in the next couple of days, direct from Hong Kong, but there is a slight twinge of regret knowing I could have got an X5 and 'almost' a Samyang 8mm for the K7, for the same price.
I'm just hoping the Panny lives up to the hype.

Regards
10-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #42

You're not alone... I have an FZ200 on order from B&H and should have it early November... have to go down to the US to pick it up. Plenty of time to get used to the knobs and buttons prior to Sydney/Cairns/Uluru in February!
10-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Plenty of time to get used to the knobs and buttons prior to Sydney/Cairns/Uluru in February!
Just received mine yesterday, and it's a great looking camera. Early test shots look good too. Ironically, you're getting yours for your Aussie trip, where I'm getting my FZ for a trip to Hawaii in January.

Regards
10-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #44

Have fun in Hawaii... spent a week on Oahu and another on the Big Island this last July/August...first trip down under though. Really looking forward to it.

I played with an FZ200 at the local camera shop today. Feels good in the hands and quite light. Looking forward to receiving mine.
10-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I saw one at the Tower of London last week. A very nice camera! The French woman who had it let me hold it and I was very surprised at the quality feel of the X5. It didn't feel like a cheapo.
Closed Thread