Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No it certainly doesn't feel cheap. I played with one last week at the local store and it feels quite solid. I opted for the Panasonic because it has Aperature and Shutter Speed priority modes, is threaded for lens filters and the 2.8 over the entire zoom range. Yes it's twice the $$, but what can I say... I've been a good boy lately and had saved my allowance.

Initially I was comparing the X-5 to the FZ60/62 and it was pretty much a toss up... Pentax less expensive, moveable display but no aperature/shutter priority modes... Panasonic more $$, no moveable display but does have aperature/shutter priority modes. Lens specs were a toss up, although the review on another site would suggest better IQ for the Panasonic.

However... comparing reviews of the three models (X-5, FZ60/62, FZ200) would appear to give the nod to the FZ200...better IQ (?), moveable display and all the modes but at a higher price. The AA battery issue with the X-5 is both a good and bad thing (IMHO)... easy/cheap and high capacity NiMH are plentiful (have several sets and a charger for my ham radio gear) albeit at a higher weight vs. the lighter lithium but having to carry around another charger on vacation.

As an aside to this and completely off topic, it would be nice if electronics manufacturers could agree on a commmon standard for chargers and battery packs.... for example, my packing list for vacations....
Shaver... and charger
Laptop... and charger
Cel phone...and charger
Camera(s)...and charger(s)
Tablet (because in flight movies are boring)... and charger
GPS...and charger/adapter

...sheesh... 20kg worth of electronics/chargers and accessories and I haven't even loaded up on the snacks to replace the inflight "meals"...

10-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here's a couple of first shots from the Panny FZ200.

f2.8, 1/80s, iso400

f4, 1/125s, iso100

Both have been cropped and sharpened just a tad. They were shot at the maximum focal length (600mm equivalent).
Regards
10-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #48
Forum Member

I took a few photos by X5 at M-mode, and this is my pet. Her name is Limone. I forgot to set the quality at 3 stars but 2 stars instead.

f/4.8
1/80
ISO-640
35mm focal 59
1 - 2.JPG - Minus

f/4
1/40
ISO-800
35mm focal 59
1 - 1.JPG - Minus

f4.8
1/80
ISO-800
35mm focal 119
1 - 3.JPG - Minus

Last edited by NSX167; 10-29-2012 at 12:32 AM.
10-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #49

does the X5 have the ability to whilst shooting video, take a still picture without interuption to the video?

10-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NSX167 Quote
I took a few photos by X5 at M-mode, and this is my pet. Her name is Limone.
Wow, those are pretty good. Nice detail, not too much noise, nice bokeh.
Also, nice name of the birdy
10-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wow, those are pretty good. Nice detail, not too much noise, nice bokeh.
Also, nice name of the birdy

Thanks Na-Horuk. I wish that X-5 carries a larger sensor instead of 1/2.33".Is it possible in the future that Megazoom can be equip APS-H size sensor or above?Let’s say 2 more decades. I must be dreaming.
10-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Thanks Na-Horuk. I wish that X-5 carries a larger sensor instead of 1/2.33".Is it possible in the future that Megazoom can be equip APS-H size sensor or above?Let’s say 2 more decades. I must be dreaming.
There is seemingly no problem fitting a larger sensor into the camera body, but the major problem is producing a super-zoom lens matched to the large sensor. The lens needs to be so large that it is inconvenient to carry and awkward in use. Plus the costs of producing the lens rises exponentially and the camera would quickly become unaffordable to anyone. That's why even very expensive dSLR zoom lenses max out at 10x zoom or less. Most affordable zoom lenses for APS-C sensors only have a 3.5x to 4x zoom. To my knowledge nobody makes even a 4/3 sensor camera with a super-zoom (say 20x + zoom) lens.

Right now the best you can get is the Fuji X-S1. It has a 12MP 2/3" CMOS sensor and a 24mm - 624mm (26x) optical zoom. It also has various problems with specular highlights causing white blotches on the image and a high suggested retail price of £700 in the UK. And there is not a huge size difference between 1/2" and 2/3" sensors!

Why do you want a large sensor? If only for low noise/high ISO performance, I think developments over the next few years will see major improvements in small sensor technology and processing engines to achieve much lower noise and higher detail at higher ISOs. On the other hand if you want a larger sensor to control bokeh while keeping to a small, convenient to carry, super-zoom camera, then I don't think its ever going to happen. Its maybe the holy grail we all seek, but physics simply dictates that the bigger the sensor, the bigger (and more expensive) the lens needs to be.

Last edited by Anton Magus; 10-30-2012 at 11:32 PM.
10-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #53

I run a small business in a tourist location and over the years have seen many different cameras around customers necks. (Mostly Canikons.) Yes I was suitably impressed by the very expensive full frame Canon's and Nikon's but the Fujii HS30 EXR appealed to me the most. Cheap and light, with a quick twist of the wrist a small distant object could be brought into view. As a birdo' that's what I want a camera to do. Only problem is I didn't like the ergonomics or the EVF. So I'm keeping my money in my wallet until Pentax brings out bridging camera with a x50 zoom like the new Canon SX50. I have no doubt that that will happen because the competition for the consumer dollar is vicious and what the consumer wants the consumer gets and I want a cheap x50 camera. ;-) It will probably also be some years before that happens but that's okay - the birds will still be there when it comes on the market.
10-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorbertR Quote
So I'm keeping my money in my wallet until Pentax brings out bridging camera with a x50 zoom like the new Canon SX50.
Hi Norbert. The problem with the Canon SX50 is that while it has fantastic reach 24 - 1200mm (35mm equiv) zoom, the lens maximum aperture is f3.4~f6.5 which means that using that maximum focal length in anything worse than bright daylight you are faced with a choice of a slow shutter speed or a very high ISO. Its pretty hard to hand-hold a lens that long, so slow shutter speeds are impractical. Equally pushing the ISO up high enough will result in noisy images...

The Panasonic FZ200 has a 24~600mm reach, but it amazingly is f2.8 across the entire zoom range making it much better for early morning or dusk shots, and 600mm is not to be sneezed at.

I totally agree that Pentax would have been very smart to copy Fuji and to put a manual zoom and manual focus rings onto the lens of the X5, as well as allowing aperture priority and shutter priority settings.
10-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #55

Yes I understand everything's a trade off. What pushed my line of thinking in the direction that it went was that a few weeks ago I met a tourist from Europe in my shop who had a Fujii with a 30x zoom. He showed me the shots that he'd captured of parrots in different locations in Australia. They weren't great but certainly acceptable as a method of recording what he'd seen. And he hadn't had to sit in a hide for hours. So I thought hey what a top way to record bird sightings without having to write copious notes and hope the bird doesn't fly away before the identifying features have been written down. Just take the shots and then post the best ones online to have them identified if one is unable to do so oneself. A point and shoot camera with a superzoom is ideal for those sorts of situations where capture is more important than aesthetics. Even so I don't want to pay what Canon are asking for their SX50. Of course I suppose I could wait until they've become superseded and pick up a cheap second-hand one as I did with my first point and shoot.
10-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #56
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Why do you want a large sensor?
Anton, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts, and you have confirmed my thoughts as well. I am just dreaming about a 20X+ Megazoom 24 MP with larger sensor, and I can accept weight/bulky body within price range $3K.
Lately manufacturers have increased MP but not the sensor size. To me it’s like, cramming more pixels into the same-sized sensor means that pixels are actually getting smaller and thus capturing less light, resulting in noisy images.
11-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I am just dreaming about a 20X+ Megazoom 24 MP with larger sensor... Lately manufacturers have increased MP but not the sensor size.
Not strictly true. Several manufacturers are now fitting larger sensors into compact cameras.

Canon Powershot S100: 12MP / 1/1.7" sensor.....24 - 120mm = 5x zoom.....RRP = $429
FujiFilm X10..................: 12MP / 2/3" sensor.....28 - 112mm = 4x zoom.....RRP = $600
Sony DSC RX100.........: 20MP / 1" sensor.....28 - 100mm = 3.6x zoom.....RRP = $650
Canon Powershot GX-1: 14MP / 1.5" sensor.....28 - 112mm = 4x zoom.....RRP = $800
(lens focal lengths in 35mm equivalents)
This tells a tale. As the sensor size grows larger, so the price of the camera increases. This is because the sensors cost more, but also because they can charge more due to the desirability of larger sensors. Equally though the maximum zoom drops considerably from the huge reach we find in small-sensor superzoom cameras.

On the topic of sensor pixel values, large MPixel ratings may look good to marketing people and fool the masses, but unless you are regularly making poster-size prints it has no influence. Where most people look at images on a computer screen or post them on a social networking site, 5MP is very adequate. Believe me!
11-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #58

Thanks for the advice regards megapixels and zoom resolution. If I turn down the MP size does that mean I can shoot at the full zoom extension and get an acceptable print for 50x super zoom lens?
11-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorbertR Quote
If I turn down the MP size does that mean I can shoot at the full zoom extension and get an acceptable print for 50x super zoom lens?
Not quite. To determine print size from any image, take the horizontal pixels and the vertical pixels. Say 4000 x 3000 for a 12MP camera image.
Now if you print that image at a resolution of 200 dots per inch you get a print that is 4000/200 inches x 3000/200 inches or 20" wide by 15" high. 200 dots/inch is a typical value for a print that will be viewed from a distance, but you should not go too much lower than 180 dots/inch for high quality source images and push it up to 300 dots/inch for lower quality source images. The higher the printer resolution you use, the smaller the final print will be.

Of course, you can process the image with OnOne Software's Perfect Resize which enlarges digital images very cleanly giving a sharp, clear final image up to 1000% larger than the original which will print very well. Perfect Resize 7.5 Pro - onOne Software

The focal length of the lens (optical zoom) makes no difference to the image size in pixels, but you may find that the zoom lenses on many compact cameras show some distortion (pincushion or soft edges) or even chromatic aberration (color fringing) at the limits of their zoom range. As they say - depending on the camera, your mileage may vary
11-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #60
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JustinK10D Quote
does the X5 have the ability to whilst shooting video, take a still picture without interuption to the video?
Yes, I tried it last night.
Closed Thread