Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone got an X5?

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has a new Pentax X5 bridge camera yet?
I'm thinking about getting one for a travel camera, as there's a Hawaii trip planned, and I don't really want to lug the K7 around everywhere. I just sold an X70, and I wasn't impressed with the tiny battery and hard-to-control zoom.
Any thoughts?

Regards

09-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't find any listed as for sale yet through a Google Shopping search. I don't think they are in stores yet.
09-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They are listed on Digital Camera Warehouse website (Sydney), for $269AUD, so I thought there might be some 'out there'. Coincidentally, I have exactly that amount burning a hole in my pocket......

Regards
09-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
They are listed on Digital Camera Warehouse website (Sydney), for $269AUD, so I thought there might be some 'out there'. Coincidentally, I have exactly that amount burning a hole in my pocket......

Regards
Good luck, I hope you find one in time for your trip.

09-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Was able to use one at Photokina. It's nice but think of it as a mere upgrade over the X70 which doesn't bring any new features to the table. What annoyed me the most was that there are no controls on the lens whatsoever...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #6

x-5

I bought one from B&H last week.
Still testing it out.
09-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chazs Quote
I bought one from B&H last week.
Still testing it out.
Wow, it's not indexed by Google yet. Congratulations on your purchase.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887284-REG/Pentax_12761_X_5_Digital_Camera_Black.html

09-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #8

The X-5 is listed as available at B&H... and as "New Item, Arriving Soon" at the local camera stores.... quick question... does anyone have a link to a PDF version of the Owner's Manual?

Thinking it might be a good choice for a trip "Down Under" in Feb 2013 (as a back up to the K-r of course... or perhaps a K-30 if I save my allowance... )

Regards
09-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Due to a lack of reviews, and a fear that it might be too similar to the X70 that I wasn't happy with, I'm now considering a Panasonic FZ150 or FZ200 (constant f2.8 zoom!)

Regards
09-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

I just ordered it from B&H, and it's on the way. Will share the information in the future
09-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NSX167 Quote
I just ordered it from B&H, and it's on the way. Will share the information in the future

Welcome Aboard!
09-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Due to a lack of reviews, and a fear that it might be too similar to the X70 that I wasn't happy with, I'm now considering a Panasonic FZ150 or FZ200 (constant f2.8 zoom!)
The FZ200 seems a great camera on paper (I haven't seen any images from one), but it is twice the price of the X-5 at $550. The FZ200's zoom is also controlled by a switch rather than a lens ring, so I don't see that its zooming ability will be any more precise than the X-5 or the X-70 you previously owned. Besides, for $550 you have got a wide choice of some pretty good cameras.
10-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Besides, for $550 you have got a wide choice of some pretty good cameras.
I know, I know... With that much money in the kitty I'd rather buy a Sigma 30 for the K7, or a Samyang 8mm, or a macro lens....

Regards
10-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The fence

Fellow Fence Sitters:
Hope I don't get booted for this. There is one owner review for the X-5 on DPReview, though not much detail. The owner gave it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. I'm getting close to losing my balance and dropping off this fence and onto/into one of these X-5s. My take will be to use it to do a shootout with my old Canon SX20 IS. The SX20 has been a good rig and very handy, it has done well at what it does. About the same zoom range, decent IQ and easy to lug around. It did cost a lot more when it was new, and that's partly the point. I don't want to take my K-5 out boating again and don't want to leave it in my car while I'm out and about. The X-5 just has a lot to offer for this price and I'm sure it will do even better than my old SX20 when I need a mega-zoom, portable camera that, if something really bad happens, I'm not out several hundred $s to over 1K $s. Well post the outcome. Canon is coming out with their new SX40 HS this month, it's nice but for over twice the price of an X-5, and you still get a P&S sensor and fixed lens. OK, I fell.....
10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fence - Update

I did find one more good user review, on Amazon. The poster of that review came across as quite knowledgeable and genuine. As a result of this gentleman's valuable input and frank opinion, my new X-5 is on order. And, hey, it's a Pentax!

Last edited by DizziPixel; 10-02-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typo - content
Closed Thread