Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
These things are a case of horses for courses, as people here seem to understand. However, given that expectations aren't high with those who understand the low-light disadvantage of a small sensor, it must be said that Pentax's JPEG processing is remarkably good at getting rid of noise, while retaining detail. I don't think I'm the only one who's found that with the Q, so I hope they've transferred that across to the X-5.
You are 100% correct. I have found that a pretty noisy ISO 3200 JPEG can be post processed in Topaz Labs DeNoise to give a very good result. Most people view their images on a computer screen at far less than 100% size where even a horribly noisy image looks pretty good anyway, so noise is not really the problem it is made out to be.

10-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Still listed as "New Arrival Coming Soon" in the local stores here... I'd be interested in a quick read of the manual. Any chance you have a link to a pdf copy of the user's manual?
Disregard... found a link on the Pentax Japan site...
10-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #18

South Africa has some pretty big wildlife, even in avifauna. Most birds in Austrtalia are much smaller. A x26 zoom just doesn't cut it. I checked out all the superzooms/bridging cameras including Pentax and the Fuji HS20 EXR appealed to me most because I was looking for an inexpensive digital camera (I'm not rich) with which to photograph passerines. With its threaded lens to which a cheap teleconverter can be added, supported by a tripod, it was adequate to my needs. However the grip and the EVF disappointed me. Yes I know the resolution at x60 also wouldn't have been great but I'm not interested in producing shots that win awards, I just want photographic records of birds I've seen. So I purchased my second choice -a more expensive kit-lensed Pentax K-r. Cost me AUD $440 new. Not worth it really. Has a plastic body and plastic mounted x3 lens. For that price it should be metal body with metal mounted lens (as should all DSLR's) like my old Pentax Spotmatic. Now I've got to fork out extra money for a x30 lens. That's why I would have preferred Ricoh to increase the zoom and thread the lens on their superzoom. If they'd done that I would have tolerated a crappy EVF. I know if they ever do, I'll sell my K-r.