Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax X-5 Now In Stock!

The new Pentax X-5 is now in stock at B&H and Adorama for $279. That was quick, for once!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #2

Still listed as "New Arrival Coming Soon" in the local stores here... I'd be interested in a quick read of the manual. Any chance you have a link to a pdf copy of the user's manual?
09-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone had the chance to check this unit out? I'm thinking this might be a nice camera for the wife. She's tired of the quality she's getting out of her cheapo P&S. (noise)
09-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Has anyone had the chance to check this unit out? I'm thinking this might be a nice camera for the wife. She's tired of the quality she's getting out of her cheapo P&S. (noise)
Not sure if this is going to help. Still a P&S sensor...

09-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I did at Photokina- there will be a post about it on Wednesday. The IQ is decent thanks to the lens, but the EVF is pretty sluggish.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I did at Photokina- there will be a post about it on Wednesday. The IQ is decent thanks to the lens, but the EVF is pretty sluggish.
Most people looking into that range of camera will still prefer the LCD anyways I'm quite sure. It's in the low end price range, with some rather nice specs it seems...

Perhaps the most aggressive move(And one of the last) made by Hoya's Pentax. Hope to see lots of these floating around Fredericton, as this town is already booming with Pentax SLR owners.(Pentax/Nikon seem to be competing for most shelf space at the local shop, with Canon somewhere collecting dust...my town is strange though)

Side Note: By my town being strange, I mean we actually had Pentax ads here. Granted, they were on Bus stops, but they were there nonetheless.(And it seems like they worked, as I pointed out earlier)
09-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #7

I posted a few days back that as of last Thurs, Adorama had the X-5 on hand. I have a 12 MP Canon mega-zoom (SX20 IS) that is very handy for what I have been using it for which is mainly on my boat. I recently took my K5 on the lake and found myself gritting my teeth when having to change lenses while exposed to the wind and amongst whatever may get into and onto my lens or into the camera. I like this X5 a lot and will likely have this as my rough environment camera. I detest LCD view finders so the EVF is a must for me but it seems odd that it would be "sluggish" on the X5, it isn't on my SX20. I had an earlier model, a SX3 or SX5 and never noticed any sluggishness with it either. I do wish the X5 accepted lens filters and wish it had a hot-shoe. A polarizer is almost a must when shooting on the water, at least for me. With the CMOS sensor and faster processor, not to mention more than $100 less than a SX35, this is pretty hard to resist. Trying to frame moving subjects at 20X was already tough, 35X just sounds like way too much. Besides, I have to confess to being a Pentaxian and have been for years, so now that there IS a X5 to be had, the choice is pretty clear cut. To get this level of optical versatility with an APS-C sensor just isn't possible with current technology without having to bake a whole lot of sand. I'll wait to see what the post says on Wednesday, as Adam mentioned, but unless there are some major dings mentioned there, I'm going to drop the $279 on this....
09-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Sony RX100 is easily the best P&S available for low noise and good IQ. Check DXO, it's at K-7 levels

09-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #9

No thanks. Sony Rx100 doesn't have a view finder or large zoom and boy is it pricey for a point and shoot!
09-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #10

Just needs an extra tweak.

Wouldn't it be great if it had x30 zoom and a threaded end on the lens so you can increase the magnification as in the Fujii HS30 EXR? An acquaintance showed me his and if it wasn't for the poor grip and the not so great EVF I'd be the owner of one. Almost perfect camera for bird photography yet light and simple (and definitely cheap) enough to be a P&S. (That's a hint, Ricoh.)
09-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Ole
Administrator

Here is the link to our first impressions at Photokina. The specifications are impressive.

The Pentax X-5 at Photokina - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
09-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have to admit I have zero interest in Bridge Cameras, but while browsing thru Prodigital's ebay store I just saw the X-5 in silver and black and it's a thing of beauty!!!

Pat
09-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter

The X-5 is also in stock in Australia with local retailer Digital Camera Warehouse selling it for $269.

Pentax Optio X-5 Superzoom Compact Camera - 16 Megapixels - Digital Camera Warehouse
09-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I own a X-90 and it has given me some really great images. I can truly say I have never had a lousy result that was the cameras fault and not mine. This X-5 promises to be even better and I don't think anyone can go wrong with it for under $300. For those who think the 26x zoom lens is not enough you will have a tough time holding it still enough to frame a shot at max zoom without a sturdy tripod or some other solid support. I have never wanted for more zoom even with wildlife photography. Best thing is it fits in a small bag you can clip onto a belt and its light enough to carry around all day. Just don't expect it to knock the socks off a K-5 in poor light, high ISO conditions.
09-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

These things are a case of horses for courses, as people here seem to understand. However, given that expectations aren't high with those who understand the low-light disadvantage of a small sensor, it must be said that Pentax's JPEG processing is remarkably good at getting rid of noise, while retaining detail. I don't think I'm the only one who's found that with the Q, so I hope they've transferred that across to the X-5.