Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax x-5 ??

I've been asked for some camera advice by a friend who's just about to go live in Australia for 6 months. She wants to buy a decent P&S camera to record her adventures and send images back to her parents etc. She has a budget of around 200.

I was wondering about recommending the new Pentax x-5, as it seems like good value for 200 giving her a great optical zoom and decent features, she seems quite open to having a bridge camera rather than a compact type camera. IQ, is her primary motivation.

Just wondered if anyone has any other recommendations at that price point, it's not a market I know well !

many thanks
Andy

09-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my thoughts it just might be better to take a camera like this pentax camera

Optio WG-2 Vermillion Red also can be had with GPS
go to the pentax . com site and look it over, a very interesting camera
09-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have an X-90 which the X-5 now supersedes. For the price I think your friend could not buy a better camera. The image quality is great except for low light/high ISO conditions - just try and limit the ISO to 400 and the quality is fine. The lens is very versatile for shooting street scenes, buildings, people and views as well as wildlife and birds. Battery life is OK and the camera is small and light enough to carry around all day without being a problem. The automatic settings are good and very user-friendly for beginners, but it also has all the options of aperture and shutter priority for more experienced users too. Frankly, at the asking price, the X-5 is an absolute steal.