Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh XR-2s discussion thread

OK since there are complaints about no body posting here, I'll start a thread about my first film camera, a Ricoh XR-2s. (or a poor mans K2DMD)

What is really good about this camera is the viewfinder is identical to the KX (which I also own) so it makes a great add in to the KX. the camera came with a rikenon 50mmF2 lens that was reputed to have been made by pentax, and which was adequately sharp even wide open.

The camera has served me well and still functions, however the construction is not rugged, and like many SLRs of the day suffers from intermittent power when tripod mounted (through the body socket) with a heavy lens. (my biggie was a vivitar series 1 70-210 F3.5 - version 1)

The diagonal split image was also a nice touch, and I still use them today in my K10D and *istD.

09-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

haha it seems that I'm the compaints. =)
I'm still hesitating between GRX or GRD, and I hope there can be a GRD club here.
Best,
Bing
09-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I just discovered this section of PF this morning and am pleased to give my thumbs-up on the Ricoh XR-2s. I have many 35mm M42 and K-mount film bodies, but the XR-2s is the one I grab for general shooting. Unlike Lowell, I don't have any reservations regarding build and have never had an issue with the circuitry shorting out. I suppose I should purchase some bigger glass My only complaint with the XR-2s is that almost all of them have broken self-timer levers. Apparently the mechanism becomes stiff with age to the point where the lever breaks off when an attempt is made to use it

To further emphasis the comparison to Pentax cameras of the same era, here is a photo of my KX posed with the XR-2s...

Twin Sons of Different Mothers...

The two cameras have identical dimensions and very similar control placement. Handling is also very similar, though the XR-2s is distinctly lighter. The viewfinders are almost identical. As a small point of interest, the XR-2s uses the same very robust, electronic-controlled Copal shutter as the original Nikon FE and the two cameras share the same distinctively loud shutter clunk! The KX, on the other hand has the traditional (and quiet) rubberized cloth shutter common to earlier Pentax cameras as well as the KM and K1000.

Click through for more information.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-29-2012 at 11:45 AM.
11-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had an XR-1 with a broken lens release and cracked lens mount.
So I got an XR-2 on shopgoodwill.com as a donor
It came with an XR-Rikenon 1:2 50 mm and it is all in good shape, the metering and shutter seems to work.
These cameras have a nice highly visible match needle meter, also a stop down button
I replaced the hinge side with some new foam seal (USCamera.com)

Next I will try a roll of HP5 to see if the XR-2 still works

11-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

I bought a Ricoh XR-2S brand new in 1979, to replace a 126 Instamatic camera that I had been using for years. I picked it up at Cameras West in Seattle, WA. The sales guy convinced me it was every bit as good as a Pentax camera and with the K-mount could make use of the superior Pentax lenses.

I dragged that camera around everywhere I went until I moved to digital in 2005 with the *iStDL.

It still functions perfectly, and I would still be using it, if it were not for the loss of what had become my favorite photographic medium, Kodachrome slide film. *sigh* 26 years of great images, that camera has been like my right hand.

After reading various posts here about the new digital cameras I wonder if I will realize the service and dependability from them that the film camera has given.
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Wow Racer X...that is quite a testimonial. I had to grin when I read "Cameras West". I bought my Ricoh XR7 from them back in '82.

Steve
11-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow Racer X...that is quite a testimonial. I had to grin when I read "Cameras West". I bought my Ricoh XR7 from them back in '82.

Steve
Yes, I figured that dropping a name might bring out those of us who have been at this for a while . . . . .

Racer
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Ricoh slr's Mirror Up for tripod
Reading some posts today I checked the Ricoh XR_2 , KR_5super2, KR_10 and Pentax MX
For a steady tripod, it may be desirable to have the mirror go up when the self timer starts, so the tripod vibrations are only caused by the lesser shutter movement
at end of timer period.
XR_2, KR_5super2 put up the mirror when the timer starts. I understand that all the Pentax dslr have this sequence. (?)
KR_10 and Pentax MX do not have this feature; mirror up and shutter fire at end of timer.

01-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Ricoh XR-2 and XR Rikenon 1:1.4 50 mm ready for a small cocktail party in the old living room next Saturday
taken with XR Rikenon 1:2 50mm at f/16
No filter and a little flare from the cfl.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
01-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
For a steady tripod, it may be desirable to have the mirror go up when the self timer starts
Given the condition of the XR-2 and XR-2s that I have seen, I would say that it is desirable to have a self timer that does not have a broken lever! Yours is the first I have seen that is "whole".

Steve
01-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Given the condition of the XR-2 and XR-2s that I have seen, I would say that it is desirable to have a self timer that does not have a broken lever! Yours is the first I have seen that is "whole".

Steve
Mine is whole too!

Sits today mounted to the motor winder
01-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #12

Mine is whole also. Self timer works fine!