Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh FF AF series point and shoots

The Ricoh FF series are very interesting cameras - they all have something special with the lenses - and worth while to try out.

There is a flickr group devoted to these cameras:
Flickr: Ricoh FF 35mm point and shoot

The FF-3 AF probably has the best lens, a Rikenon 35/3.2

Camera motion in this one is bad - but it shows that the night mode works, but you need a tripod

The FF-9SD is a transparent camera, it does come in regular black plastic. Lens is a Ricoh 35/3.5

The FF-8WR is a wide angle (28/4.5) weather resistant camera.

10-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very clear pictures. Small aperture lenses can be surprisingly sharp. I have had good results from an f4.5 Sneider Reomar lens on an old Retinette Folder. I suppose it is easier to make a good small lens than a large (fast) one, and giving up a couple of stops can be worth the quality for the price.
12-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

I have an FF90 that I picked up at a local thrift store. It is fairly minty and came w/ three filter attachment setups that clip on to the front of the camera. One is a 49mm UV circular lens that I plan to put a polarizer in, the others are tele and a closeup lenses. They all clip over the viewfinder and down over the lens. I am going to have to get serious about playing with it. Especially after seeing the nice pics w/ them on here.
eagle1
01-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

I am always surprised at the quality of some of the 35mm film compact cameras. My father had a Ricoh compact all the way through the eighties (forgot which one). On being asked to scan some negatives from that time for my Mother a couple of months ago I was amazed at the sharpness and general quality of the scans from such a modest camera. The resultant prints where much better then the 6x4 from the processors.
Maybe we thought that they were not up to much at the time as the film was often sent to same day photo processors, were quality was sacrificed for speed, but on second inspection the negatives are well worth a second look.

01-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The photos I've gotten on fairly recent vacations with the Olympus XA and Stylus series bodies also never cease to amaze me.

I need to crank my film bodies back up to the use I was making of them 2 years ago.
01-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
There was a sweet spot to these cameras - the early fixed or dual-focal length ones tend to have very good lenses. Later when the category became a commodity with zoom wars, a lot of the quality was lost.