Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Once again, there are a whole bunch of great entries. I'll just add some of mine. "Doors with History".

This the the gatehouse to Richmond Palace at Richmond-on-Thames, outside London. It was the site of a Royal residence from 1125 AD. King Henry VII built a magnificent Tudor Palace and this gatehouse around 1525. His coat of arms is above the large arch which was used for carriages and carts as well as men on horseback. The smaller gate, now bricked up, was for people on foot. The large arch was closed with two huge wooden doors, but during the civil war of 1642-1651, Oliver Cromwell's army smashed the gates and burned the palace. The area is now used for private homes.

The magnificent entrance to the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. This entrance was built in 1899 and Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone.

The South door to the Templar Church in London, made famous by Dan Brown in The Da Vinci Code. The round church, which is now the nave, was constructed in the late 1100's and consecrated in 1185 AD by Heraclius, the Patriarch of Jerusalem. King Henry II attended the consecration. The rectangular Chancel was added around 1235 AD. Until 1307 when the Knights Templar were dissolved, candidates for the order would enter this south door at dawn and move to the round nave for their secret initiation ceremonies. The Temple Church is still a functioning church and is also popular for organ recitals and choral music.

10-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony RX100 f5.6 1/640 iso 125

Grave site of a little boy. Peter Krahn March 20 1892 - Aug 30 1893. It is all alone on an unkempt patch of grass on a hill inside of a triangle created by two roads converging. On the front side someone brought a ball and placed it by the marker. The inscription on the back looks like it's German.

Last edited by RyanW; 10-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.
10-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Things are really starting to heat around here... Keep'm coming!
10-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Great historical doorways, Anton.

Real interesting interpretation, Ryan.

10-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Immunogirl Quote
Oh come on, it was a doorway between the islands as well

And thank you
10-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Don't mind me folks, I'm just goofing around here... I was just sitting here admiring all the wonderful images that we have so far. I was looking at Immunogirls playful image of the crooked shack when that little blue pill I took back in the 60's suddenly kicked in again without warning. I just couldn't help myself.

Last edited by Fastback67; 10-14-2012 at 08:24 AM.
10-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Awesome Fastback - I believe we're in Narnia now on a snowy day just as spring is coming and that's the lantern off in the forest...

10-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #38
Pentaxian

straight from a fairytale book!
10-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awful quiet around here lately...
10-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fastback67 Quote
Awful quiet around here lately...
OK, a couple more doorways. FZ100. Shot the other day. I'd love to know whats behind the doors but they have been closed for years, as is evidenced by the plants growing on the walls around the second one.

10-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #41
Pentaxian

enigmatic doors for sure, Sue!
Great colour as well.
10-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I really love those imposing doorways Kyteflyer. The stonework surrounds coupled with the height of the doors surely indicates a very important building? The lion's head above the first one is magnificent. The bricklaying pattern of three courses of stretchers followed by one course of headers indicates a building that was made to last. I haven't a clue what this building is, or was, but it was designed with grace and beauty, with cost not being an important criterion, and obviously build with great care and craftsmanship. The panelling in the doors is just a thing of true beauty. All things that are sadly quite rare today in a world of chrome and glass. I hope it is a protected historical treasure.
10-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
enigmatic doors for sure, Sue!
Great colour as well.
Thanks, Bart

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
I really love those imposing doorways Kyteflyer. The stonework surrounds coupled with the height of the doors surely indicates a very important building? The lion's head above the first one is magnificent. The bricklaying pattern of three courses of stretchers followed by one course of headers indicates a building that was made to last. I haven't a clue what this building is, or was, but it was designed with grace and beauty, with cost not being an important criterion, and obviously build with great care and craftsmanship. The panelling in the doors is just a thing of true beauty. All things that are sadly quite rare today in a world of chrome and glass. I hope it is a protected historical treasure.
Thanks, Anton

It was built in 1877, and is owned by the local water company. I believe it was once a water pump house serving the entire town (which wasnt very big in 1877). Sadly, its not protected. Except by that chainlink fence. There's been a bit of preservation going on (the glass above the door, never used to be there) and I believe part of the roof has been repaired. I took an acquaintance who is associated with the National Trust to see it (she doesnt have a car and this building is not accessible any other way). She had never heard of it or seen it before, and promised to draw it to their attention. I hope that the minimal preservation work which has gone on is a result of that but I suspect not. Those plants growing on the walls shouldnt be there and will cause the mortar to fall out eventually and then we will see the walls tumbling down.

Here's a closeup of the lion's head.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 10-24-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: changed the shot
10-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Great lions head.
Very 19th century.
10-24-2012, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both shots Pentax Q with #01 8.5mm prime ( 47mm EQ on 35mm). Shot in Raw and converted with Silkypix. Edited in PSE8.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo