Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The pool is getting cold, a hurricane is offshore, it's almost halloween and its getting dark earlier so i thought i'd attempt an entry (couldn't decide on green or purple). After seeing all the excellent images from everyone else i thought i'd better come up with something different. So here is a night shot with the XZ-1. I twirled a glow stick for thirty seconds in an alcove with the XZ-1 in manual mode, f3.2, iso 200 with a 40second exposure time. This will most likely be my only entry as i'm packing up to head back to Chicago.

Last edited by ivoire; 01-22-2013 at 05:45 AM.
10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great entries, barondla. I especially like the oriental door.

Ivoire, these are indeed special. Great effect.
I would hesitate between green and purple as well.
10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Made it! I went on a trip and packed my Canon A720. Then I changed bags at the last minute and accidentally left the Canon at home. I photographed several interesting doorways, but not with a p&s.

Here's my entry, thanks to my Halloween loving neighbour.

Don't open that door!

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-29-2012 at 05:14 PM.
10-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Cute shot, Dan.
I Like Halloween.

10-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey, I think I know that woman!
10-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fastback67 Quote
Hey, I think I know that woman!
I'm sure I married her daughter.
10-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Been a bit of a rough month as far as finding inspiration and such... Work, family, that sort of thing. But I did find a rather colorful doorway just a couple of buildings down from my office. :-) Oly XZ-1, nothing but a resize as far as PP.

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 07-25-2013 at 04:50 PM.
11-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Contest over! Results pending.... Oh my God, how do I choose

Mike
11-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I gave up all hope of winning when Ivoire entered his photos. I don't envy you having to choose this month.

That's why I don't enter anymore. Saves me the possibility of having to judge again
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I gave up all hope of winning when Ivoire entered his photos. I don't envy you having to choose this month.

That's why I don't enter anymore. Saves me the possibility of having to judge again
oooeeerrrr... yes, thats a thought :P
11-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
We'll let ya slide this time, but No excuses next time

Posting results first thing tomorrow, EST that is...
11-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #57
Veteran Member

RoxNDox, I really like the red door.

I hate judging, I keep trying to pass it off on someone else.
11-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well alrighty then, here we go.

First off, I would like to thank everyone who participated in making my life a little more complex this morning. So many wonderful entries to choose from, making it that much harder to choose who will be The Star of the Day.
I would especially like to thank Dan (Audiobomber) for posting that great shot of Tony's mother-in-law.... I thought she looked familiar.

The first brave soul to post here was Bart, with this wonderful B&W image shown here. What can you say about this image except to Frame It and proudly Hang It on your wall... it's Gorgeous!!!
I wouldn't say that this was his best doorway shot, but given a choice between his 3 image entries, it is the one that I personally would want hanging in my room.

Now Sue (kyteflyer) playing by her own set of rules ... posted (4) images , my favorite of which was the view from the Camera Store. I've seen this image before, and I've always admired it. There's just something about it... Perhaps it's that sense of realism that just pulls you into the image and forces you to look outside.
The Pentax sign above the doorway is a plus as well in my book.

Sam (samtr87) gave us this Fantastic Teaser below... I say teaser because the image cropping here is almost frustrating. The Beautifully contrasting Colors and Textures of this image just scream out at you, heightening your senses, and leaving you with a desperate desire to see more of the image.

Another great shot here came from Ron (rbefky)... I just loved this shot of the garage door below. My comments here are pretty much the same as they were for Barts B&W... Frame It & Hang It!!!!!!

Anton came at us with both barrels as usual... Outstanding Images and a History lesson to boot! I was really torn here, but I would have to say that my favorite image was the entrance to the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. The angle of the shot, the camera perspective, the sheer wonder and architecture of the building entrance itself... it's a real attention getter.

Ryan showed real imagination with his image of the child's grave site. I particularly liked the description... "an unkempt patch of grass on the hill inside of a triangle created by two roads converging". It's to bad the description couldn't have been captured somehow within the image... That would make for a really great interpretive image.

Barondla gave us 2 great shots, my favorite of which is shown below. I really like this image! It's makes use of both Great Color and Form. Contrasting Shapes, Colors, and Texture all in one package... Great Job... Well Done!

Ivoire gave us 2 really cool imaginative images, my favorite of which was the Green one below. These shots are a great examples of what can be done with a little imagination... If you can't find an image your after, make one!!! ...40 seconds and a Glow Stick... instant Cool

Next up we have Jim's (RoxnDox) single entry. A last minute shot, but I'm glad he was able to get it up here for us all to see. I love this shot, it just screams nostalgia, or at least it does to me. There's just so much potential there, so many things that can be done here, I had to play with it!!!

Next up we have G.T.'s entry... I LOVE THIS SHOT!!! I like everything about it! It's Raw, it's Contrasty, you can almost feel the texture in the image. It's full of varying angles and shapes that catch the eye and draw you in.... It's just a fantastic image! I'm awarding it the "2nd place" position in the nearly impossible to judge contest. Well done G.T....Well Done Indeed!

Okay... I guess we all know what this means... For posting an image that is as equally Imaginative as it is Beautiful, I award 1st Place to Immunogirls "Doorway to the Sea"

Congratulations to all!!!
Now it's Catriona's turn... Hey guess what girl... Your Up!

Last edited by Fastback67; 11-02-2012 at 10:15 AM.
11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Congrats to Catriona (that seaway image was my fav), G.T. and all the entrants! Great images all around! and Thanks to Fastback67 for the excellent write-up for the images selected. I'm back in the Chicago burbs and the temps are low so I'm hoping for an indoor competition from Immunogirl.

and thanks to those who commented on my entry(ies). They are much appreciated

Last edited by ivoire; 11-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.
11-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Congratulations to all and to G.T and especially Catriona!

Thanks Mike for a fun contest and nice comments.

Looking forward to your contest, Catriona!