Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Battle of the Brooks and the Pentax 105-R

Tonight was my school's major football game against our rivals, I chose my 105-R to document the game. I'm not sure how much film is left (if any) or if the cold weather affected it.
How do I tell how much film is left?
Did the cold affect it?
How do I know if the film is progressing?
I bought this camera used a few days ago and I'm still learning how to use it.

11-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most film cameras have a frame counter that counts up as you shoot. Most automatic compacts like the 105-R start at the first frame. If you loaded 24 exposures (this is the most likely scenario) you just subtract what you've taken and that's what you have left, so if the counter reads 15, you have 9 left. You may also have a 36 exposure roll in there, though that's less likely.

Cold doesn't affect film very much. In fact, film likes to be kept cool. I keep all my color film in a refrigerator to preserve it. As long as condensation isn't allowed to form on the film by say, bringing it from a cold climate to a warm humid one without it being sealed up in a camera or a film canister, it should weather the cold just fine. I always let cold cameras sit in camera bags once they're inside before taking them out.

If you're still not sure if you have frames left, or don't want to take a chance, there should be a manual rewind switch on the camera somewhere. You can pull the film as-is and have it processed.