Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Point & Shoot Photo Contest #2: Winners

Time to judge the entries for contest #2, its a bit difficult because there is no theme so I cannot judge how well and creatively the shots match the theme. Well I have still made my decisions. In general I am biased towards shots that shows the shooter didnt get too into the p&s mentality and stopped to think a bit about the composition and shot before taking the shot.

Honorable mentions:
Sefirato's snow fox: great sharpness and a photogenic subject. Too bad the white fur was so overexposed... Not an easy subject on a sunny day.
Fl_Gulfer's sunset: Impressed with the exposure, not burning out the sun itself.

3rd place: ftpaddict
Both the shot and processing shows extra effort and thought that has gone into making a shot that is interesting and not just a snapshot. Interesting style with very high cotrast.

2nd place: LaRee
A sunset shot with good exposure and also good composition, I like the lines on the ground and I like the rendering of the clouds in the sky.

Winner and host of the next contest ftpaddict:
I like the simple composition and strong contrast and colors, the shot will catch your eye even if its made into a small thumbnail. The gritty effect works well and the sharpness is good. Its a shot that doesnt scream p&s. congrats

Thanks to everyone who entered and congrats to the winners.

02-11-2008, 01:17 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Honorable mentions:
Sefirato's snow fox: great sharpness and a photogenic subject. Too bad the white fur was so overexposed... Not an easy subject on a sunny day.
Thank you for the honorable mention. Interestingly enough, after I noticed that you said it was overexposed, I decided to see if I could pull in the details of the fur in LR through exposure compensation, I managed to pull this one off. I don't know if it would have made a slight difference in how you came to the finalists. These are all great, by the way.
Attached Images

02-11-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sefirato Quote
Thank you for the honorable mention. Interestingly enough, after I noticed that you said it was overexposed, I decided to see if I could pull in the details of the fur in LR through exposure compensation, I managed to pull this one off. I don't know if it would have made a slight difference in how you came to the finalists. These are all great, by the way.
Nice save, Im surprised so much more data was available, the fur is completely saved. Well Im not going to change the results after the fact to be fair...
02-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to the winners! Great pictures. The second contest went very well. More entries and viewers. Contest seems to be picking up momentum. Cool.
Sifirato, how did you manage to reclaim so much detail in the white fur? Have a few shots that could use that. Amazing improvement.
Can't wait for contest #3. Should be even larger.
thanks
barondla

02-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

3rd and 1st??

speechless is me. Thank you, and.

And congratulations to the runner-ups and LaRee. Good show!

Does the next contest have to be P&S related? Or can it be anything else? I already have a pretty good idea, and I think (hope) it will become a competitive arena.
02-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is the P&S photo contest so the main aim of it is to show pictures taken with p&s and not with dSLRS, I dont know exactly what you are thinking about with "P&S related" ?
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

OK, understood. I am in charge with hosting and judging P&S contest #3, then.

02-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
OK, understood. I am in charge with hosting and judging P&S contest #3, then.
Congratulations! A deserving strong shot for the win.

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
This is the P&S photo contest so the main aim of it is to show pictures taken with p&s and not with dSLRS, I dont know exactly what you are thinking about with "P&S related" ?
And thanks Andreas for the place. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next shot that I pull out my p&s for. ;-) This is fun!
02-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Congratulations to the winners! Great pictures. The second contest went very well. More entries and viewers. Contest seems to be picking up momentum. Cool.
Sifirato, how did you manage to reclaim so much detail in the white fur? Have a few shots that could use that. Amazing improvement.
Can't wait for contest #3. Should be even larger.
thanks
barondla
Actually, I don't think the whites were entirely overexposed however it does appear to be in the original shot. My wife told me that the day was mostly cloudy, it wasn't as sunny as it appears to be. If it was a sunny day, it would have made it impossible for me to pull out the details of the fur by underexposing the picture.

With the details out and about after underexposing the image, it makes me want to see the fox for myself since I wasn't able to take the trip to Denver that day due to work. That thing is gorgeous, and it's definitely going to be a good pet around the house... if the zoo allows me to sneak it out and take it home!
02-12-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Congratulations! A deserving strong shot for the win.
Many thanks!