Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
X 5 discontinued already?

I went this afternoon into a Jessops store in the centre of Bristol [camera chain store for non UK readers] and there were the usual weekend reps there from all the big names and for once a Pentax man in a white Pentax shirt with a k30 hanging round his neck.

i asked him if there were any of the new X5 bridge camera in to look at and he looked confused then said no that one has been discontinued .

I queried that since it is a new model abut he insisted it is discontinued, thats funny I said because Bristol Cameras [a opposition store 2 blocks away has had them for 3 weeks] has them in stock and he said that's just old stock.

So either he knows something we don't or he is the worst salesman Pentax UK have ever had.

11-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Probably thinking of X70. After all, they're both bridge cameras with "X" in the name. That's enough to confuse anyone who's used to selling Canon and Nikon!
11-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Banned

I see no sign off being discontinued overhere.
11-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should be around for another 9 months or so

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

X5

Dead easy this one...one word...Jessops! They don't stock ANY Pentax in the majority of stores so haven't a clue about it at all.

The only branch I've come across recently with Pentax was their flagship in London which actually had a decent range. I think that Manchester might have had the odd camera or two (getting old so can't remember this exactly!)
11-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Probably thinking of X70. After all, they're both bridge cameras with "X" in the name. That's enough to confuse anyone who's used to selling Canon and Nikon!
You probably mean X90 ..
11-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad. Just plain sad. And Pentax UK has done so much better than Pentax USA in the past on such things. Was he by chance an exchange rep from Pentax USA?

11-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #8

I agree with dumb salesman. It's hard to talk to many of them about Pentax stuff.

I remember when I was shopping around for my K-5 (which was roughly $1300-Body Only at the time), I talked to one salesman who said they carry it for $600 but they are out. I asked him repeatedly if we were talking about the same camera, I quoted what the MSRP was, told him the camera's it wasn't (If I recall, the K-x was out then and it sounded like that price), and he insisted that the K-5 was $600.

So I head down there a week later and talk to a different guy, and told him my exchange with the other salesman. He proceeded to sigh and roll his eyes while cursing the other salesman under his breath . Pentax ignorance abounds
11-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I see no sign off being discontinued overhere.
Me neither, I'm in the US.
11-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
D0n
Banned

go back to store. slap employee. is only way he'll learn.
11-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
go back to store. slap employee. is only way he'll learn.
And since someone on the internet told you to do it, that makes it OK.
11-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eonb Quote
Dead easy this one...one word...Jessops! They don't stock ANY Pentax in the majority of stores so haven't a clue about it at all.

The only branch I've come across recently with Pentax was their flagship in London which actually had a decent range. I think that Manchester might have had the odd camera or two (getting old so can't remember this exactly!)
Birmingham has the full range. I think Jessops is OK. I'm glad they manage to cling on.
12-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I went this afternoon into a Jessops store in the centre of Bristol [camera chain store for non UK readers] and there were the usual weekend reps there from all the big names and for once a Pentax man in a white Pentax shirt with a k30 hanging round his neck.

i asked him if there were any of the new X5 bridge camera in to look at and he looked confused then said no that one has been discontinued .

I queried that since it is a new model abut he insisted it is discontinued, thats funny I said because Bristol Cameras [a opposition store 2 blocks away has had them for 3 weeks] has them in stock and he said that's just old stock.

So either he knows something we don't or he is the worst salesman Pentax UK have ever had.
You have certainly met the worst salesman of all time. The X5 is brand new, in fact if you go on to Pentax's website its the first camera spread across the top of the screen. By the way its great too.
01-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #14

The Pentax X5 was only released in Sept 2012. So it is certainly not discontinued.
01-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm not sure why most replies are not reading the OP correctly - he's talking about an actual Pentax company rep, not a retail store salesman/employee.

Anyway, he was probably having a bad hair day and thinking K5 instead of X5.

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 01-12-2013 at 09:40 AM.