Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax MX-1 Full Specifications

I've now posted the full specifications for the new Pentax MX-1 in our camera database, here: Pentax MX-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Also, don't miss our homepage preview of the camera: Pentax MX-1 Announced - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Price: $499
Pre-Order Links:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why didn't they use the Q type of flash? That solution is really nice!
01-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
ogl
Banned

Pentax MX-1 Full Specif i cations - you lost i.
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Why didn't they use the Q type of flash? That solution is really nice!
99% of P&S cameras can't use DSLR flash.

Pentax Q could do flash and optical VF.

01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
DLC

Hmmmm. MX-1 or K-01?

That's not a poser at all. 1/1.7" sensor or APS-C sensor? Fixed lens or K-mounts?

It doesn't even appear from the specs that the MX-1 does video any better than K-01.
01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DLC Quote
Hmmmm. MX-1 or K-01?

That's not a poser at all. 1/1.7" sensor or APS-C sensor? Fixed lens or K-mounts?

It doesn't even appear from the specs that the MX-1 does video any better than K-01.
What...?

It's a G12/S110 competitor.
01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
99% of P&S cameras can't use DSLR flash.

Pentax Q could do flash and optical VF.
I meant the pop-up arm type of the Q, not hot-shoe.

01-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

I'm really excited about this camera. I wonder how the manual focus works since the ring closest to the body looks to be fixed...
01-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Guakala Quote
I wonder how the manual focus works since the ring closest to the body looks to be fixed...
It's electronic and uses the arrow keys, just like on the X-5 (aka pretty crappy, unfortunately).

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's electronic and uses the arrow keys, just like on the X-5 (aka pretty crappy, unfortunately).
Nooooooo!
01-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #11

Continuous-mode frames/second: 4.2
dng or jpg?
01-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, the thought is nice, but they missed the boat completely on the UI. It's like their compact division doesn't talk at all to the slr division.

If this is aimed at enthusiasts, it should have the zoom controls on the ring around the lens. Ideally a physical control, but I'd live with the ring being a switch.
Ideally, you'd be able to flip a MF switch on the front (or hold down a button on the ring itself) and then use the same ring to focus, but that might be asking a bit much.

Really, zoom on the ring, hot shoe, fast lens. That's what I want in a compact camera. I don't think that's a whole lot to ask, but nobody has managed to make it yet...

The articulating screen is nice, but for this form factor I think a solid block of metal (with a stationary screen) would have been the correct styling choice in my book.

That being said, I actually prefer this kind of screen articulation over the flip out kind. It's easier to hold the camera in two hands above my head to take pictures above a crowd, or down low to take macro shots. When it flips out on the side, I find it gets in the way more than it's helpful.

Once again Pentax has also missed the pricing mark. $500... when the Q10 is scarcely $50 more? If this is the standard Pentax M.O., in a few months it will be a reasonable price, and shortly thereafter (usually right after you buy it at said reasonable price) it will drop to a super bargain price.

Charles.
01-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I think this camera is a good move because it will increase brand awareness among consumers, and the looks will attract old-timers. As far as the actual camera goes, it's nothing special IMO, especially considering the fact that it appears to be an Olympus XZ-2 in disguise (look at the specs, flash, and mic location). I have a hunch that camera companies outsource a lot of their point-and-shoot development and as such there are many similarities across brands, the MX-1 being no exception.

Adam

01-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does it need a lens cap?
01-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The camera got mentioned in the Swedish store Cyberphoto's blog. They seem to like it so far and mentions "a rumor that it is made out of brass". CyberPhoto - Blogg