Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just wish that the MX-1 doesn't become completely overpriced here in Europe. Compact cameras becomes "old" to quickly so if people wait for a non-über-speced camera to lower the price it quickly becomes obsolete.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'm buying one. I don't use my Q enough because I want to be able to zoom a bit. But carrying around the 02 and 06 in my pocket isn't exactly a solution. I will still use the Q and the 06 (once I get one) for hockey games! (yay Oilers are back!!!) and the MX-1 will do what my Q/01 does now, accompany me wherever I go. It is just a better "best camera is the one you have with you" camera than the Q is.
Going to Oilers games? I'm jealous! I only get to stream them on the computer and look at Oilers jersey's on the wall.

01-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hrm, if it's brass, I'm slightly more interested again... still no hotshoe is annoying. Just bought my GF an Olympus XZ-1 for her birthday... $260 shipped, and brand new. Granted it's closeout priced becuase the XZ-2 is out now... but even so, it was a $350 camera for most of its run.

Charles.
01-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I just wish that the MX-1 doesn't become completely overpriced here in Europe. Compact cameras becomes "old" to quickly so if people wait for a non-über-speced camera to lower the price it quickly becomes obsolete.

Going to Oilers games? I'm jealous! I only get to stream them on the computer and look at Oilers jersey's on the wall.
thats what happens when you live in the same town as your team.

but then you got to deal with an arena that has water leaks. thankfuly those are on the second balcony, and I have seats on the third. :P
01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I think Pentax ought to be commended for designing a robust and great looking camera with he MX-1. Quality cameras as such are becoming rare these days. Whether the market will appreciate such quality remains to be seen in this world of disposable electronics. It will be critisized for some of it's shortcomings compared to the competition (such as the Samung EX-2) which are:

. No 24mm wide angle lens
. No Hot Shoe (useful, if only for accessories such as a buble level)
. Only tilt screen vs swivel, and not OLED

On the plus side, 1/8000 sec shutter speed is exceptional, so if you can live with a 1/1.7" sensor (which isn't a big issue I think) and its few shortcomings, it is an awesome camera even if it will be perceived as rather average in spec. It may be too little too late as I already stated though, so the reviews and the market will decide. I'm looking forward to see some images.

01-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The X10 had lower resolution due to its sensor. The X20 has been upgraded with a new 2/3" X-Trans sensor (back-side illuminated, no Bayer filter).
That and there was a lot that was unique with respect to dynamic range in the Fuji X10 sensor.

I think the new sensor will be a nice improvement. Mostly interested in the viewfinder and the talk of improved AF.
01-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #36
Veteran Member

See, I consider that tilt screen a benefit over the swivel kind. I like the tilt much, much better. I've used both, and the tilt lets you hold the camera in both hands.
For the wide angle... I'd rather have a little more on the tele end instead of on the wide. 28-75mm f2.8 is the zoom I normally carry, and if I could get a constant f2.8 aperture 28-105, I'd be thrilled. I'd never buy the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, for instance, as that's not nearly enough reach for me.

Charles.
01-09-2013, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

sample images are posted on the website

PENTAX - MX-1 Silver

01-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Looks really cool with that minimalistic design and that modern but classic looking lens in the middle. I wonder if the buttons feels like the ones on the Q? I really like them.
01-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
sample images are posted on the website

PENTAX - MX-1 Silver
They're looking very good. Someone mentioned in another post that if Pentax can tweak this 1/1.7" sensor like they did the smaller one in the Q, then it will be as good as the next sensor size up anyway.

Here's the Nikon sample page for the P7700 which has the same new Sony sensor for comparison, so it's to be expected that the MX-1 will be at least as good as these as well if not even better:

P7700 samples
01-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

err, I dunno what camera you're using, but the Q is nice in theory, but once the ISO creeps above 1600, it suffers dearly compared to a bigger sensor. Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera... but anything above ISO 1600 in low light is a wash.

Charles.
01-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Someone mentioned in another post that if Pentax can tweak this 1/1.7" sensor like they did the smaller one in the Q, then it will be as good as the next sensor size up anyway.
The reason the Q matched the next size up is due to the 1/2.3" sensor being BSI, and no 1/1.7" were backlit at the time. The new 1/1.7" sensors are backlit, so Pentax will not have any significant advantage over the same sensors used in Olympus, Nikon, Sony, Canon or Samsung, at least not in raw images. The new X20 is one size up, but it is backlit as well.
01-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #42
JFN
Veteran Member

Pity on the lack of accessory shoe, makes this a dead end in the compact camera competition race, really sad, it looks like a neat lil workhorse else...
01-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #43
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
Pity on the lack of accessory shoe, makes this a dead end in the compact camera competition race, really sad, it looks like a neat lil workhorse else...
Sony RX100 has tilt or articulated screen? Hot-shoe?
01-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #44
Veteran Member

The Olympus XZ-1 and XZ-2 have both.

Charles.
01-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #45
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Sony RX100 has tilt or articulated screen? Hot-shoe?
Who said something about RX-100 ?

Fujifilm x20 may not have an articulated screen, but it has a really nice optical viewfinder... and for more or less all the rest of the mirrorless, Olympus XZ-2, Lumix LX7 et al, there's an accessory shoe to fit an EVF etc.

Go figure.