Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
MX-1 Review from CNET (huh?)

I don't think that the new MX-1 is the camera for me, but I saw this review and had to post it to see what the forum thought. I will have to say that I have never cared for CNET's digital camera reporter, I don't think she has ever really given Pentax a chance.

I couldn't get over the fact that she said this was not a good sensor for an enthusiast camera because it was better in low light and not so good in good light (huh?). She also said that the other model had a brass top but it is my understanding the black version is brass also.

01-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have to agree, CNET has been pretty poor in the camera coverage in my experience. It seems to me that VERY few "technology" media outlets do Cameras well. They seem to think that if they know tech then they can analyze and critique cameras, because everyone uses them. I don't have a horse in the MX-1 race, just not interested, but it does seem that she made some rather easy to verify factual errors.
01-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Geez, I'm getting old fast. Was it that long ago I was being told backlit sensors were the bee's-knees? So already no good any more?

Maybe she was thinking of the BSI-CMOS sensors in some of the P&S superzooms as being the latest and greatest..

PS. The black MX-1 is a fine looking camera in action. Pity she didn't seem to know the history of the MX design, just that it was a copy of the OM-D 'retro' design instead.
01-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure CNETs opinion is worth squat considering they are splashed all over the news today about rigged reports....

01-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't look at the review, not much interested in Cnet now. But for the MX1 I might have to buy one just so I have a matched pair as I have a fully functioning MX, currently with a roll of film loaded.
01-15-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

So her only argument about the MX1 "it's not so great" is only about the sensor, supposedly not so great in daylight, but good in low light ? So i bet she doesn't even have a clue of what she is talking about !

what about the optic that is well known, and is consider as super sharp, with great rendition ?

consider her as a troll.

However did anyone notice the flash seems to be put on a hotshoe ? maybe it will be removable ?
01-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
Banned

Her reviews are usually terrible.

What she says of the BSI-CMOS isn't as wrong as you guys are making out, however.

We have been seeing that several cams with the BSI-CMOS have shown reduced quality at lower ISO levels, but appear to excel as the ISO levels are turned up, going well past their conventional counterparts. However, this isn't uniform as we're going, from iPhone on up, to BSI.

Also, her body language and word choice should tell it all about what her angle is. She's a fake reviewer, simply put, and I'm no Pentax fanboy. She's done this many times before, no matter what brand. The allegations of CNET review tampering don't make her look any better.
02-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #8

It's revealing to watch the review with the sound off. This woman looks like she just smelled a fart.

02-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter

She rambles and says nothing I couldn't (or haven't) read about already. I like CNET for some stuff but don't usually consider them for camera info.
02-11-2013, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #10

That lady is the biggest "photography" troll ever, she rarely ever knows what she's talking about... I just hate CNET overall.
02-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I had a good laugh ... OMG someone make a remix

On the good side ... she didn't complain about the missing hotshoe ... ...
02-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I had a good laugh ... OMG someone make a remix

On the good side ... she didn't complain about the missing hotshoe ... ...
Actually as one of the earlier posters noted, the pop up flash looks like a hot shoe.