Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

New Optio? WG-3?

Ive been researching waterproof cameras for a trip to HI in March and I think Ive decided on the WG-2. I was about to buy when I noticed that both the WG-1 & WG-2 were each announced on Feb 7. I think Im going to wait until Feb 7 this year to see if they release a new model. Maybe a WG-3. Has anyone heard any rumors on a new water proof camera?

01-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

CP+ is starting in less than a week.
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks I wasn't aware of that show. I guess Ill wait than.
01-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by muell Quote
thanks I wasn't aware of that show. I guess Ill wait than.
I just bought the WG-2 last week when the local Target store dropped its price another $75. Thats often a clue that a new one is on the way if you have time to wait and dont need the "deal".

01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
I will most likely be buying the wg-2 also. I just want to see what if any upgrades the new model will have. If they have better image stabilization and better battery life. I may get the new model.
Did you get the model with gps? If so how is it working for you? That is one thing Im interested in that the demo model i tried did not have.
01-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I will most likely be buying the wg-2 also. I just want to see what if any upgrades the new model will have. If they have better image stabilization and better battery life. I may get the new model.
Did you get the model with gps? If so how is it working for you? That is one thing Im interested in that the demo model i tried did not have.
No GPS in mine but its a very fun camera compared to the hulking K-5s. The little LEDs for microscope mode work great and the built in hi-speed movie mode (automagically shoots at 120fps and stores at 30fps but only 640x480) was an unexpected joy to play with. It really seems more versatile than advertised. Due to the waterproofing design, the shutter button is much stiffer than expected but overall I have darn few complaints....especially at the (end-of-life?) price.
01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's fairly likely that a successor will be out too- after all new point and shoots come out each year

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please please please let it shoot RAW!
01-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, full manual controls would be nice. Pentax would then have a full line up of photographer's cameras.
01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My 6 year old will be getting one for his 7th birthday:

Pentax launches WG-3 and WG-3 GPS waterproof cameras: Digital Photography Review
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #11

Hi,

I'm really interested in the WG-3 because of it's new gps features. Sounds really interesting. I want to use it for mountainbiking, etc.

I'm not sure about image quality. Are there any other samples to see yet? The ones on the homepage look a bit smeared. And they seem to be taken in the evening. And still no raw.
03-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by The Crow Quote
Hi,

I'm really interested in the WG-3 because of it's new gps features. Sounds really interesting. I want to use it for mountainbiking, etc.

I'm not sure about image quality. Are there any other samples to see yet? The ones on the homepage look a bit smeared. And they seem to be taken in the evening. And still no raw.
I just bought mine a couple days ago. As soon as I get some underwater shots I'll post them. The practice shots I've taken so far look pretty good.
03-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #13

Ive been researching waterproof cameras for a trip to HI in March and I think Ive decided on the WG-2. I was about to buy when I noticed that both the WG-1 & WG-2 were each announced on Feb 7. I think Im going to wait until Feb 7 this year to see if they release a new model. Maybe a WG-3. Has anyone heard any rumors on a new water proof camera?
I just got a WG-3 GPS the other day. I haven't tried it yet underwater. Maybe this week. When you get here to Hawaii, I highly recommend Hanauma Bay Beach Park. It costs $7.50 per person for non-residents and you have to watch a 10 minute video, but it was worth it. One thing to keep in mind is that it is closed on Tuesdays for cleaning.
03-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday I briefly handled the purple WG-3 GPS. First thing I noticed was that it weights noticeably more than my plain WG-2. Next thing are the improved (IMO) buttons. They are knurled and silver which means better grip and better visibility. Compared to WG-2 the layout is a bit different and face detection button is replaced by a red button which instantly starts recording movie.
Other than that I can't say much. The shop was closing.
03-29-2013, 04:53 AM   #15

@gernerttl,

any chance to share some (full size) samples from the WG3? Would love to see some pics. Thanks.