02-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice going Dan. Especially like the first

02-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Thanks. I could have perfected it a bit more, but after a point, I just decided to let it stand.
I think it's close enough to perfection as it is
Awesome!

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Canon A720 IS
Mallard Landing Footbridge:

Bridge Of Nations drain line:

Nelson Street Bridge:
1st one is a beautiful scene.
2nd is a fine composition.
3rd one conveys an ominous feel. I think that would be my favourite.
02-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You guys are making it tougher on me all the time here. Great stuff, keep them coming.
02-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #34
Banned

Last entry for me:

Taken with my Samsung EX1, PP in LR3 and SFX.

02-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Nice one Snake! B/W gives it a nice old-time feel...

Jim
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Nice one Snake! B/W gives it a nice old-time feel...

Jim
Definitely agreed!
02-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Nice entries so far!

I noticed a simplification of the rules. Again. Does this mean that the rules allowing 120 and 35mm point and shoot cameras from years gone by, including our special allowances for the Q and the Auto 110, are out the window once more?
02-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #38
Banned

Thank you, RoxnDox and Bart!

02-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I noticed a simplification of the rules. Again. Does this mean that the rules allowing 120 and 35mm point and shoot cameras from years gone by, including our special allowances for the Q and the Auto 110, are out the window once more?
Seems that the rules section contains some P&S Contest Rules and some Post Processing Competition Rules?
02-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Remember the following rule which supersedes all others:
QuoteQuote:
10. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date, and judge’s next competition
If there have been changes, that was up to the person starting the comp.
02-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I simply copied the rules from one of the earlier posts, so use good judgement.

What qualifies as P&S system in your opinion?

To me a P&S camera must have a fixed Non-Interchangeable lens, and some form of AUTO PICTURE mode setting.
I don't really see format as an issue since you are using a fixed lens under this simple description. How the subject matter is captured or interpreted through the artistic vision of the photographer is what really counts. I personally consider this (artistic vision) to be the only true defining criteria here, not the technical quality of image itself.

Mike

P.S.: Outstanding image Snake!

Last edited by Fastback67; 02-27-2013 at 09:48 AM.
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fastback67 Quote
What qualifies as P&S system in your opinion?
That's a loaded question: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-compact-digital-film-cameras/16041...int-shoot.html

I go along with kyteflyer, your contest, your rules. That's one of the rules.
02-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #43
Pentaxian

There was that discussion and another in relation to a question I had, which persisted for weeks beyond my original Q. I think it needs to stop with rule 10. If someone doesnt like the set of rules in any given comp, they do not have to enter.
02-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Oh god, here we go again...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-compact-digital-film-cameras/16741...-lights-2.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-compact-digital-film-cameras/16041...int-shoot.html

The upshot of all this crap is that the rules as they've been copypasted have served as a good guideline on what is and what is not a point and shoot by the rules, spirit, and intent of this contest, and we've mostly pretty much not had a problem with them. The original rules were "No SLRs" but that opened up people using Leicas and large format view cameras, so some tighter constraints were enacted.

The rules from the last contest are as follows:

Point and Shoot Competition #62: Water
The theme for the month is Water. This can be in any form and it must be the main subject of the photograph, even if other elements are in there.

The Rules

1. HAVE FUN!
2. Cameras:
No cameras with sensors larger than 1"
No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use
No interchangeable lens cameras
No 35mm (D)SLRs or any camera weighing over 1 kg

Cameras permitted (cameras listed as acceptable here supersede rules above)
Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder cameras
Interchangeable or Fixed-lens 110 film SLRs and Pentax Q
TLRs, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6 and 6x4.5 Medium Format "Folding", "Box", or "Holga-style" scale focus cameras (subject to 1 kg weight limitation)

You have omitted the "cameras permitted", many of which (the older medium format scale focus stuff, fixed lens scale-focus and rangefinder cameras, and 110 cameras) I enjoyed using, as I felt they used to fit the spirit of the contest and were generally fun to mess with.

At this point, I think I'm done with this. I'm tired of fighting the same damn fight over and over to be allowed to use the cameras I enjoy for this contest. You all have fun, I'll be out shooting.
02-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did I miss an argument somewhere, because I sure don't see the point in this one?

My opinion of a P&S camera is exactly that... My Opinion... and my opinion only, It means nothing. Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion.
If you want to break out the old Rolleicord or a Kodak 616 go ahead, you'll get no argument from me. I could have just as easily copied and pasted Sue's exampled list for the rules here, but that wasn't the page I was viewing at the time. I was researching old topics and I simply copied the rules from the particular page I was viewing at the moment... it's as simple as that.
Bottom line... We're here to have fun, not to argue.

Personally, I didn't know anyone even looked at the rules here. I just assumed it was more of a guide. To me, the only important rule here is Rule No.1 HAVE FUN!

Mike
I'm just here to look at the pretty pictures

Last edited by Fastback67; 02-15-2013 at 07:28 AM.