Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H is shipping MX-1's

I just received an email that B&H Photo has the MX-1 in stock.

Pentax MX-1 Digital Camera (Silver) 12633 B&H Photo Video

02-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lovely, good competition for the Leica P&S at least. Though, not really competitively priced against anything else...
02-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'll copy and paste what I wrote in the front page because I am lazy lol.

Interesting camera...has most of the features I am looking for in an enthusiasts compact but is missing some key features as well (provisions for viewfinder, hotshoe and built in ND filter). I will wait until I see how this and the X20 fare in testing.
02-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got my eye on it, but think I'm going to end up with a Fuji x20.

02-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I'll post what I wrote on the front page:

The launch price price is much more in the market this time than with the Q10. The directly comparable camera is the Olympus ZX-2 which is currently $549 on Amazon - supposedly the same sensor and lens. Canon G15 is currently $449 at Amazon. So it's in the pack. Pentax, having been forced to heavily discount the K-01 and the Q10, have pushed them both well below market comparables for similar style cameras. The downside for Pentax is that this lowers Pentax users' price expectations to a level below where new product should be pitched.

Another whole separate argument exists as to whether mirrorless cameras that compete with the K-01 for example should be as expensive as they are. Personally I think m43 cameras are over priced. Without mirror mechanisms, they must be much simpler and cheaper to manufacture versus DSLRs, but this doesn't seem to be reflected in their pricing versus lower level DSLRs.
02-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
Banned

It's "XZ-2", is it not?

I'm reading conflicting info about the lens being the same. It's likely a rebadged iZUIKO lens and sensor assembly, but people are saying there are internal differences, such as the number of elements. I don't know for sure. A clear mistake here was reducing the number of controls in a class where greater number of controls is something that separates them from lower point and shoots.

As far as I'm concerned, the RX100 and G1x has made this class of sensor worth no more than about 299, max. This includes the X20.
02-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
It's "XZ-2", is it not?

I'm reading con. icting info about the lens being theis asame. It's likely a rebadged iZUIKO lens and sensor assembly, but people are saying there are internal differences, such as the number of elements. I don't know for sure. A clear mistake here was reducing the number of controls in a class where greater number of controls is something that separates them from lower point and shoots.

As far as I'm concerned, the RX100 and G1x has made this class of sensor worth no more than about 299, max. This includes the X20.
The X20 has a larger sensor, 2/3" vs 1/1.7"
Also the G1X is much more expensive and larger. It's not fair to compare that to these.
The RX100 a much better comparison due to its size and price. Some argue that it lacks enough features that it should bepriced similarly to an XZ-2...having owned a RX-100 the IQ more than makes up for it. Of course tthat's one man's opinion

02-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The X20 has a larger sensor, 2/3" vs 1/1.7"
Also the G1X is much more expensive and larger. It's not fair to compare that to these.
The RX100 a much better comparison due to its size and price. Some argue that it lacks enough features that it should bepriced similarly to an XZ-2...having owned a RX-100 the IQ more than makes up for it. Of course tthat's one man's opinion
The x20 sensor is larger, but not by a huge margin. It's closer to the 1/1.7 than it is to the larger ones. At least as performance goes. It's more of a gimmick because it's really still a small sensor. On top of that, everyone thinks the 2/3 sensor is something new and revolutionary, not remembering all the cams of the past that had one.

Regardless, the G1x is a valid comparison. Everyone keeps establishing arbitrary parameters to try and make superior performing cams somehow not comparable.
02-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tried this camera at CP+ and thought it was very well constructed and the tilting screen on the back will be useful. The pictures posted so far look pretty good. It seems to me that the starting price is reasonable. It will be reduced over time.

Unfortunately, it is way too big and heavy for what it is. In fairness, Pentax is not the only maker going in this direction. The Olympus XZ-2 is considerably bigger than the XZ-1 was and the Fuji, Samsung and Panasonic equivalents are big too. They all require a lens cap, which bothers me in this type of camera.

I'd like to get an advanced compact this spring for a particular trip where a large camera would be inappropriate. I feel I have four choices that fit my requirements for a suit-pocket camera:
Ricoh GR Digital IV - Compromise by not having the zoom
Canon S110 - Compromise by having a slow lens at the long end
Olympus XZ-10 - Compromise by having a smaller sensor
Sony RX100 - Compromise by having a slow lens and I don't want to pay that much

It seems to me that the MX-1 will succeed or fail based on it's retro design. Like many Pentax cameras, you like it or loathe it.
02-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I've got my eye on it, but think I'm going to end up with a Fuji x20.
I'm leaning that way, too. Especially with the X20 being a 2nd generation of the X10, so they've had a chance to improve upon things. This MX-1 is technically a first of it's kind for Pentax, but we'll see when more reviews come out. The 40% larger sensor and optical viewfinder of the X20 puts it over the top for me, even though it is only about an 85% view coverage. And the x20 is supposed to have very fast AF.
02-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
Banned

HAve you guys seen those lofty, impossible performance claims made by Fuji about the X20? Even people on the Fuji forum are having tough times with believing them.
02-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm going to get the MX-1 on Tuesday, and I'll be posting a video review of it as time allows. I have a feeling that it's going to be the best P&S from Pentax to date (better than the Q in terms of IQ and handling I bet), but I'm not sure about how it's going to fare in terms of IQ compared to Fuji and Sony offerings. I mean, if it's got the same sensor and lens as the Oly XZ-2, then we don't even need to speculate about it I just hope that there is no shutter lag.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is better IQ than the Q (I just got mine). Haven't decided on the handling yet.
02-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is growing on me.
First impressions:
No shutter lag, even in RAW
Fast accurate AF, yeah!!
Really nice Image IQ,