Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #16

That was a great video! Thank you - so great in fact I now have a MX-1 on the way (Amazon (U.S) has it for $461 -- I'm sure it is a brief price drop as one of the third party vendors has it for that price, so I figured I grab it before it bounces back up)

02-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vapentaxuser Quote
I got this camera yesterday and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The build quality is not that great despite the brass on the top and bottom. It feels sort of hollow and cheap compared to others in this price class (the Canon G15, for example). I thought the camera was also awkward to hold and to shoot with...I didn't like the thumb rest on the back and it just doesn't feel very stable to hold. I also noticed a lot of detail smearing even at ISO400....moreso than others in this class of camera.

However, the exposure is pretty good. I thought the menu was laid out nicely and the autofocus performance is very good, even in low light. The color reproduction is accurate, if a little muted. It's not a terrible camera, but I wanted to try this before committing completely to the Canon G15 and I think I'll stick with the Canon as my compact of choice. It has an overexposing problem, but it has better controls, ergonomics, color reproduction, built quality, noise performance, battery life...the list goes on.

My .02 is that folks should wait to see if Pentax cuts the price before committing to this camera.
While most of your complaints with the MX-1 are subjective and I wouldn't dispute them (Though I personally don't think the camera feels cheap at all), we tested the High ISO resolution of both the G15 and MX-1 and found exactly the opposite result. The MX-1 had much more detail and more noise, while the G15 had substantially less resolution, but also less chromatic noise. Same results in RAW.
02-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
wow, the price drop has begun. I wonder why vendors don't offer 2% rewards on this item.
03-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
I shoot the TCSTV videos, and Chris and I are both big Pentax fans. As our rebuttal to the terrible CNET review, we present our own MX-1 video:
Thanks for posting this, I posted the awful CNET review to the forum and was going to post your review but did a search and found out that you had beat me to it.

Thanks for covering Pentax, this review, the one for the K-30 and K-01 were all very informative. Really enjoy TCSTV videos, even for the cameras I will never be able to own (Leica Monochrom)

04-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
Inactive Account

super cool, i loved the video
04-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You guys are some of my favorite Internet camera personalities. You're always pretty good to Pentax and it shows! Thanks for the videos! Keep them coming!
04-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done review - enjoyed it!