Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2013, 11:45 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Forum Member

MX-1 Field Test Video

Hey everyone,

I shoot the TCSTV videos, and Chris and I are both big Pentax fans. As our rebuttal to the terrible CNET review, we present our own MX-1 video:

I look forward to your feedback and questions!

02-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice video, real thorough
Does the ring outside of the lens have any function?
How does the pop-up flash work? I like using fill flash, is the popup flash sufficient in that regard?

Thanks
02-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you guys!
02-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Hey everyone,

I shoot the TCSTV videos, and Chris and I are both big Pentax fans. As our rebuttal to the terrible CNET review, we present our own MX-1 video:
Hey, thanks for an informative and balanced video. I really enjoyed watching it, and learning about the MX1. The wonders of the internet - you can make it in Canada, I can watch it in New Zealand.

Cheers

Ross

02-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That was a great video! Love The Camera Store!
02-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice review. It's a pretty good compact performer, and I can't wait for the drop in price.
02-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #7

I got this camera yesterday and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The build quality is not that great despite the brass on the top and bottom. It feels sort of hollow and cheap compared to others in this price class (the Canon G15, for example). I thought the camera was also awkward to hold and to shoot with...I didn't like the thumb rest on the back and it just doesn't feel very stable to hold. I also noticed a lot of detail smearing even at ISO400....moreso than others in this class of camera.

However, the exposure is pretty good. I thought the menu was laid out nicely and the autofocus performance is very good, even in low light. The color reproduction is accurate, if a little muted. It's not a terrible camera, but I wanted to try this before committing completely to the Canon G15 and I think I'll stick with the Canon as my compact of choice. It has an overexposing problem, but it has better controls, ergonomics, color reproduction, built quality, noise performance, battery life...the list goes on.

My .02 is that folks should wait to see if Pentax cuts the price before committing to this camera.

02-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice to see a fair review of the MX-1.
The only disappointing I see is the bouncing flash ... I really thought that the flash was able to flip up ... .
But it seems to be an exciting camera and I can't wait to try it out.

Btw Chris (if he reads these forums), the K-01 is just as hideous as his Lada .
Come on man, some of us loves that little brick just like you love that Lada ... stop calling it ugly .
02-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Nice video, real thorough
Does the ring outside of the lens have any function?
How does the pop-up flash work? I like using fill flash, is the popup flash sufficient in that regard?

Thanks
Unfortunately, as mentioned in the video there are no controls on the outside lens ring. This would have been a great place for another control dial.

The pop up flash works like any other Pentax compact. It works great for fill flash.
02-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I kept waiting for the "but", glad to see it never happened and the camera got a really nice review. I'd get an MX-1 after seeing this review.
02-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Also, here's a short blog post about the shoot:

https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/2013/02/11/pentax-mx-1-hands-field-test
02-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vapentaxuser Quote
I got this camera yesterday and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The build quality is not that great despite the brass on the top and bottom. It feels sort of hollow and cheap compared to others in this price class (the Canon G15, for example). I thought the camera was also awkward to hold and to shoot with...I didn't like the thumb rest on the back and it just doesn't feel very stable to hold. I also noticed a lot of detail smearing even at ISO400....moreso than others in this class of camera.

However, the exposure is pretty good. I thought the menu was laid out nicely and the autofocus performance is very good, even in low light. The color reproduction is accurate, if a little muted. It's not a terrible camera, but I wanted to try this before committing completely to the Canon G15 and I think I'll stick with the Canon as my compact of choice. It has an overexposing problem, but it has better controls, ergonomics, color reproduction, built quality, noise performance, battery life...the list goes on.

My .02 is that folks should wait to see if Pentax cuts the price before committing to this camera.
It will be interesting to see what kind of IQ we can get once the Raw files become supported.
Hate to burden you, but can you post an example of the smearing?

I am looking for an excuse to buy this camera but it may just be missing enough for me to look elsewhere.
02-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nice review, thanks! definitely interested in this camera, or maybe a future MX-2, depending on the price...
02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Another good one from the TCS crew! These video reviews always give a good sense of what the camera's like to shoot with.
02-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #15

Thanks guys! The review is great.

<3