Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photocat Quote
Not to derail this too much but I'm genuinely curious as to what the K-01 offers over the K-5? And when do you prefer the K-01 over the K-5, in what situations?

I have the K-5 and I can't figure out why I'd ever choose it over the K-5 in any given circumstance. It isn't much smaller or lighter. It doesn't have the viewfinder (of which the mx-1 is being raked over the coals for not having either?!) and I'd still have to fiddle with either a big zoom or a fixed lens if I didn't want to bring multiple lenses.

Just really curious. I have nothing against the K-01 at all, just never quite understood when it would be a preferred choice over the full monty (K-5)
Is a companion to K-5 ... a backup ... something that you can always carry with you.
The K-01 has been in my bag since I got it and is always there with me. I prefer to carry it because without a battery grip, it is smaller than the K-5, takes the same lenses, has the same sensor and image IQ some might say is slightly better.
K-01 is not meant to replace K-5... read some of the threads HERE and you will find out all the reasons why some prefer the K-01 so much.

The MX-1 can do the same thing ... but not as good I would say. It does look better for most of the people though (compared with the K-01).
The MX-1 is NOT a bad camera! Just that for those who already have something else, justifying the purchase of it will be hard (as in my case) - especially at the current selling price.

03-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Is a companion to K-5 ... a backup ... something that you can always carry with you.
The K-01 has been in my bag since I got it and is always there with me. I prefer to carry it because without a battery grip, it is smaller than the K-5, takes the same lenses, has the same sensor and image IQ some might say is slightly better.
K-01 is not meant to replace K-5... read some of the threads HERE and you will find out all the reasons why some prefer the K-01 so much.

The MX-1 can do the same thing ... but not as good I would say. It does look better for most of the people though (compared with the K-01).
The MX-1 is NOT a bad camera! Just that for those who already have something else, justifying the purchase of it will be hard (as in my case) - especially at the current selling price.
Thanks Mr. Newt! I hadn't thought about the K-01 as a backup camera. That makes total sense. I'm nowhere close to being a pro shooter so I have no need for a backup which is why that never occurred to me! I love cameras, so if I have multiples, they have to serve different purposes
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So while Ole gets to have fun with the 560mm, I've tasked myself with the MX-1 review, and the review sample just came in. I decided to play around with the camera a bit and offer some first impressions.

Overall I'd say the camera is very responsive. If something is completely out of focus and you press the shutter button, the camera focuses on its own and takes the shot, as it should be. You can't even tell that it needed extra time to AF, so that's good (much better than the Q at least). There is also very little shutter lag, and the startup time isn't bad either, though it obviously takes a moment for the lens to deploy (if you leave the lens cap on, the camera will tell you).

In addition, the IQ seems pretty good. Not stellar in macro mode, but stuff in landscapes has a good amount of details even when zoomed all the way out. Again, a little better than the Q and 02 lens, I'd say.

The camera has built-in distortion correction which is very effective. There is otherwise a good amount of barrel distortion at the wide end.

Zooming is a bit slow, but hey, at least it allows for one-handed operation!

The menu is a bit sparse but I think that you'll find everything you need, except for...wait for it...manual focus. I haven't double-checked but there doesn't seem to be an option for this.

Also, the interface in playback mode is a bit confusing. The info button does nothing and you basically need to spam the OK button in order to switch between exif, basic info, and no info.

As is typical with other Pentax cameras, the camera takes a while to save photos, and you'll have to wait about 2 seconds before a file becomes visible in playback mode, even if you're just using the built-in memory (which can store 12 photos).

The only thing that I really dislike so far is the LCD. The tilting mechanism makes the camera seem much thicker, and it totally kills the retro design IMO. It feels like it just doesn't belong. While I'm sure some will enjoy the tilting screen, I think it would have been better if Pentax held off with this and instead equipped one of their DSLRs with a fully articulating screen.

Well, that's it for now! I'm posting from my phone so sorry in advance for any typos. Also, if someone could double check the thing about manual focus, I'd appreciate it. It's hard to believe that MF wouldn't be included as a feature in an enthusiast compact, even if were slow.

Oh and BTW, the box is really ugly. It's the same "eco packaging" that the WG-2 came in (see my WG-2 review on the comepage).
I am sorry Ricoh/Pentax, but I think this one is destined to go the way of the K-01. Its ugly, and its performance is just mediocre. With so many brands/models competing in this niche of the market, I don't know why you bother.
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #64
Veteran Member

so I want this camera, some one stop me

I was on my way to get the rx100 and then pentax came out with the MX.

On paper the RX is better in all... but as someone that only shoot street I know that the look of the MX is something that people tend to react very well to.

The sony has a look that say Facebook all over it , and that always scares people .

Tilt screen is a HUGE bonus on this camera much more then EVF it makes it a tool design for documentary photography.

is that enough to choose this camera over the larger sensor sony ? my brain is not sure my heart say yes.

what do you think?

any way $500 is not that much of a lost and I kind of like the "go with you heart" feeling that I have right now. B&H is closed tomorrow so I will think about it for one more day

03-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zellydog Quote
Its ugly, and its performance is just mediocre. With so many brands/models competing in this niche of the market, I don't know why you bother.
Which can be said of a lot of camera's on the market....some of which do pretty well...
03-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
what do you think?
i think you should buy it.
and then let me know whether it is worth it :-)
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just picked up the MX-1 yesterday at my local camera shop. So far I am pleased with the build, responsiveness and layout. I was also looking at Fuji X20, but I liked the MX-1 due to size, the tilting screen and menu system. I am not of fan of Fuji's menu system. The MX-1 is very easy to hold and for me I don't miss an OVF/EVF on this type of camera. The tilting sceen for me was a big selling point. I think the X20 is a fine looking camera with great specs, but so it the MX-1. I plan to put it thru some testing later today, but so far I am happy with it. I have to say seeing one person help me make my decision.

04-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First images with MX-1. Looks good so far!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
08-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The LX7 seems like a much better value.
More features and cheaper.
Check this out. The LX7 seems to have better features, but check out the IQ comparison. It seems the MX-1 does better as ISO increases.

Pentax MX-1: Digital Photography Review
08-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some shots

12-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #71
Veteran Member

The MX-1 has saved me a thousand Aussie dollars!