Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MX-1 weird JPEG corruption

Was out shooting today and one of the JPEGs ended up looking like this:
Name:  IMGP0333.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  131.7 KB

The RAW file looks fine, and it only happened once, so it might just be a one-time thing. Has anyone else seen something like this?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Someplace I read about someone who had a damaged camera and the pictures came out like that all the time. I vaguely remember they had a market for the images. Just googled it and I cannot find it so maybe my memory is faulty. Anyway if it's repeatable I'm sure there is a gallery that would be interested.
02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I had an old point and shoot that I dropped on its lens. After that, most pictures came out looking something like what you have above. Not sure how to explain a camera that only does that intermittently.
02-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #4

I've had a problem like this once caused by a faulty memory card. Have you try to reproduce the error?

02-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by prodigyxl Quote
I've had a problem like this once caused by a faulty memory card. Have you try to reproduce the error?
No, it's only happened once. I continued shooting afterwards and it didn't happen. Also haven't seen anything like this from the 645D, K-5, D800, or Q with the same card. The card I'm using is a 64Gb 95Mb/s Sandisk extreme pro- better not be faulty!

I wonder what would cause such a corruption from a technical standpoint. I'll be taking a course on image processing and image file manipulation next month, perhaps that will help me explain it!

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Breaking my silence pact to say one thing ... while that might be a corrupt file, I am very intrigued by its artistic values - I like it a lot!
02-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'll admit, the photo looks cool- but the actual portrait is better

By the way, I was out shooting again and the corruption issue happened twice more. One thing I remember is that this card also contains files from other cameras on it- do you think that could be causing the issue?

Adam

02-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One thing I remember is that this card also contains files from other cameras on it- do you think that could be causing the issue?
Absolutely. Canon camera manuals recommend, for example, that you format the card in camera before using it, to prevent this type of thing from happening. And Apple computers have been known to write files to hard drives that render them inoperable on pc's, without some work.

02-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It does sound like an error in the camera though. Perhaps something that can be fixed with a firmware update?

Anyway, I'd make sure you always shoot in RAW, in case.