Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #91
Forum Member

Just picked up the MX1 (silver version) for $299.00. So far I am pleased with the picture quality and I like the old style body design. Not sure if I would have paid $499.00 for it when it was first released, but for $299.00, well worth the price. As compared to my Canon G16, it is a little slower to autofocus, but picture quality is very comparable.

Eddie

04-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #92

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got mine today.........we'll see how long the honeymoon period lasts.....LOL!!!
04-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #93

Upon my initial impressions, love everything about the camera so far. Guess I've gotta get used to the after-shot review/system setting lag time. We'll see how it wears on me. But (there's always a but, right?), can't believe in all the reviews nobody mentioned the idiosyncratic charger!!!!!!! I mean come on, a big @ss heavy gage cord that attaches to a nice small compact cradle that should be a simple wall charger?????
04-23-2014, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #94

Charger

Actually, the charger didn't really bother me much. But you're right on the charger. There seems to be a lot of compromises on the MX-1 that Pentax didn't have control over when it came to the mechanical design. Fortunately, they don't seem to be critical ones and Pentax did a good job working around most of them.

People have said that I was a bit critical on the MX-1, but you have to remember that I was comparing it to its competition at the $500 point which is considered advanced photographer territory. I mean, come on it competes with the Canon G15, Nikon Coolpix 7700, Olympus XZ-2, and the Lumix X7. All pretty heavy hitters. Someone theorized that some of us had high expectations of the MX-1. I think that is true, for two reasons. 1) its high initial price point. and 2) its called the MX!

Since I shoot regularly with the Nikon 7100 as my compact digital and one of my friends shoots with the Canon G13 as his regular camera, I have something to directly compare the MX-1 to which probably jaded my review a bit.

That being said, I think that if it had an initial price point of $299.. reviews would most likely have been much more favorable. It would have been an outstanding camera at that price point.

James

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
Upon my initial impressions, love everything about the camera so far. Guess I've gotta get used to the after-shot review/system setting lag time. We'll see how it wears on me. But (there's always a but, right?), can't believe in all the reviews nobody mentioned the idiosyncratic charger!!!!!!! I mean come on, a big @ss heavy gage cord that attaches to a nice small compact cradle that should be a simple wall charger?????

05-13-2014, 05:39 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
But (there's always a but, right?), can't believe in all the reviews nobody mentioned the idiosyncratic charger!!!!!!! I mean come on, a big @ss heavy gage cord that attaches to a nice small compact cradle that should be a simple wall charger?????
Unfortunately, a lot of cameras are coming with chargers like that now. My guess would be that it saves money. They only have to design and make one physical charger for all regions around the world, then ship it with different off-the-shelf power cords. The down side is, that's one more item to keep track of, and the cord is a bulky nuisance when you pack your bags for travel.

I went onto fleaBay and picked up a replacement cord that is only one foot long. It's easier to pack, and I can actually hang the charger off a wall socket, though it does look a bit goofy that way.

---------- Post added 05-13-14 at 08:16 AM ----------

After having my MX-1 for a while, here are some random observations:

Image Quality: No complaints. When I pixel-peep it's not as pristine as my M4/3 or APS-C cameras, but then I didn't expect it to be. The lens is nice and versatile for a walking-around camera. Decent macro capability is appreciated.

Controls: I do like having both a command dial and a dedicated EV compensation dial. If I had two command dials, one of them would almost always be set to EV comp anyhow. This way I can glance at the dial and see what it's on.

Strap Lugs: I know Blunty praised these, but their position on the top-front corners annoys me. They dig into my fingers when I hold the camera, and they make it hang at an awkward angle.

Lens Cover: I also have the automatic lens cover, but have decided not to use it. It's convenient, but it provides no safety against the camera accidentally activating in a bag. Also it looks kind of cheap and weird.

Look and Feel: The body reminds me of my old Sears KS-2 (AKA Ricoh XR-7) 35mm SLR, but the lack of a pentaprism mirror sort of spoils the effect. The MX-1 is much lighter weight, feeling flimsy by comparison. The KS-2 is wrapped in a kind of faux leather that feels nice and has held up well over the decades. The MX-1 is wrapped in rubber that feels nasty and will probably turn to goo in a few years. Retro styling fail.

No Viewfinder: I am one who has serious problems with the LCD in bright sunlight. I got a HoodLoupe, and it solves the problem. It's just like having an EVF, except not physically attached to the camera. Having to carry the extra item dangling from my neck is a bit of nuisance, but then I don't need it all the time anyhow. (It also works nicely with my K-01.)

Molasses: It really is a slow camera. It seems to have a weak processor. It's not just the shot-to-shot times, the write times, but everything it does feels a bit sluggish. I suspect this is also why it lacks some of the art filter options of the K-01, as they would be too processing-intensive. The MX-1's sluggishness is especially noticeable when I compare to my E-M5 which is like a cheetah.

Over all... The speed is my biggest gripe, but that's something I can live with anyhow. It's a versatile, all-in-one camera that I can pack -- along with all its accessories, including the charger, HoodLoupe and a nice strap -- in a quite small bag (Mirrorless Mover 20) for both storage and travel. Also I got it for around $200, so it was a good deal for me, but I can understand those who were somewhat less enthusiastic over the original pricing.

Last edited by Tony Belding; 05-13-2014 at 06:15 AM.
10-12-2014, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well. I got one of these a few weeks ago through Amazon. After using my cash back bonus it cost me all of $120. Even with all it's "shortcomings" I really like it. I use a simple wrist strap to carry it and even though I have never had a camera without a viewfinder, I did not find the lack of one disturbing at all. And with the articulated screen it is easy to use in oddball positions. I have found that as I near retirement it is harder for me to get into those oddball position so having a cameras that greatly reduces the possibility of me getting stuck in one of those positions is a real plus. Macro mode is really good too. I really like the quality it gives when using it in B&W mode. Reminds me of Tri-X or some of those wonderful Ilford B&W films. Even my wife who still loves her old Kodak digital camera with it's 5 megapixel sensor took an instant liking to it. She really likes the articulating screen feature.

I love all history and have read several books on photographic history. In fact I am addicted to the smell of fixer. I think that this gives me a bit of a different perspective on cameras. William Henry Jackson toted a portable darkroom and an 11" x14" wet plate camera around on his expeditions through the American West. In the mountains of Colorado he had to use candles to heat up his emulsions and glass plates before coating them. Then he had to rush outside into the cold and get the image within a few minutes. On another trip the mule carrying his exposed glass plates fell down a ledge and while the mule was unhurt all of his glass negatives were shattered. Months of labor lost. I have been some of the places he has stood and often wondered how he did it at all. Could you imagine what these little wonders would look like to him or the other intrepid wilderness photographers of his time?

I have to admit that I have never met a camera that I didn't like. From a pinhole camera that used 4 x 5 film holders to the Argus C3 "brick" to my K5-IIs. I love em all.. Although I never did grasp the concept of "Hyper Mode" on my PZ1-p.
11-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #97
Veteran Member

I personally love my MX-1. It goes with me on trips, vacation, outings, basically any where my K-5II doesn't go.. This will. For the really Rainy days, I'll take the WG-3.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
12-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #98

I love the MX-1 it is my vacation camera of choice, the tilt screen has been very useful for composing some difficult shots. Here are some .jpg shots straight from the camera with no post processing taken in Bermuda in October a week after Hurricane Gonzalo pounded the island.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
01-27-2016, 02:58 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I will agree that it's hard to see where the MX-1 fits in, because there are cameras (like the RX100 and LX7) and do everything it can and more. However, just about every comment I see about the MX-1 says something about it not having a viewfinder. Seriously, it this really such a big deal? The MX-1 is a point-and-shoot, and those haven't had viewfinders for the longest time. In the field with the MX-1 I never had a need or desire to use a viewfinder.

To me it seems that this camera is already a failure based on user feedback. I hope, for Pentax's sake, and I'm just getting the wrong impression! The camera is certainly quite capable, as the review suggests, even through it's not perfect.
IMHO a EVF will surely make the MX-1 competitive, I owned the Fuji X30 and XE2 both have EVF and worked extremely well for me, the reason most successful retro styled digital cameras have EVF or range finder I think is, when you reached certain age your eyesight will become far-sighted, even with a pair of corrective glasses you will not be able to focus close enough, you need to hold the camera some distance away from your eyes, just like the way you shoot with your cell phone, in order to focus properly on the LCD screen, and this will induce camera shake. The EVF was made such that optically corrected to provide a comfortable focusing to the eyes, and high end retro styled digital cameras are targeted at those 'old people' who can afford the big money ! further more, shooting with EVF can prevent stray light and distraction from the surrounding when compare with LCD screen, there are lot of reasons EVF IS important, also the reason why I did not purchase the MX-1 !