Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #9

Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #9The Rules

1. Have Fun!

2. Use any Post Processing Software and techniques.

3. Entries will close on March 31st, 2013.

4. Maximum image dimensions for entries are 1024x768 pixels

5. Max of 3 image entries per person. Entries may be withdrawn or changed

6. List software used, as well as your method, with your entry so we can all learn.

7. There are no limits or restrictions - make the subject image into whatever you want!
But please do not copy or alter other entries....

8. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date, and judge’s next competition

Here's a perfectly good shot with great potential, it definitely needs some help however. Let's see what your imaginations can do with this one.

This shot was taken with my wifes little Casio. You should be able to download the full size version here if you like? Just click the little "OPTIONS" button above the image.
Sorry I'm not really up to speed on this image hosting stuff, I still live in a cave.
Post1 Photo by FastbackMike | Photobucket

Good Luck... Just remember to HAVE FUN!!!! Go Wild...

Last edited by Fastback67; 03-06-2013 at 07:15 AM.
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting image, Mike.
Download went fine.
Now to work
03-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Bart! That shot was taken last September in Bermuda.

I'm glad the link to the image download works... At least I got one thing right for once
03-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Download was easy and quick! Bermuda, looks like it was beautiful.
Edith

03-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice image to work on. Thanks Mike.
Here's my take. Tried to emphasise the hostility seen by those walls over the centuries. Partial conversion to B&W, enhanced contrast and partially solarised the entire image to really boost the angry sky. Slightly blurred the far section of the castle.

Last edited by Anton Magus; 03-07-2013 at 07:16 AM.
03-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Tried to emphasise the hostility seen by those wall over the centuries.
Nice work Anton... I think you pulled that one off quite well.

That image was taken not 15 minutes after an extremely violent squall passed through the area, with winds so strong it literally ripped large ships from their moorings.
I have another version of the same image that I took with my camera that day. Taking the exact opposite approach however, I opted to create a calmer, more surreal version of the image.
My version can be seen here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-somewhere-bermuda-36767/

Last edited by Fastback67; 03-08-2013 at 02:14 PM.
03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

A dramatic effect, Anton.
Works really well.
03-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Here's a go, a little painterly and cold North Sea. I've used Lightroom and various Topaz plugins (first Dejpeg to obtain a tiff for editing, then Adjust to correct exposure and add colour and detail, and finally Infocus to deblur a bit). I used two brush masks in Lightroom, one to make the sky more distinct and one to sharpen the sea and the fortifications (leaving the sky unsharpened). I saturated the colours in the water a little, too. I cropped in Lightroom after using Adjust. I needed to add sharpening because the setting I used in Dejpeg got rid of a lot of noise and jpeg artefacts but at the price of blurring things a bit. Finally I added a small yacht for some visual interest on the leftside horizon using Photoshop.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EX-Z77  Photo 
03-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A lot of effort, with equally beautiful results!
I love the addition of the sailboat, it lends just the right perspective to the image, and the painted look gives it just the right touch.
Nice work mecrox, well done!

Mike
03-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

agreed!
great work, mecrox.
03-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Was trying to come up with something based on 'bermuda triangle' and had something in mind that wasn't working out, so tried something else until I feel like trying the other idea again... (Done in Gimp with the g'mic symmetrize filter)
03-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

That is really great, todd!

I have a more mondain approach for my first contribution.
Used DxO Viewpoint for levelling things.
Then added a number of filters in Color Efex. I aimed for an old picture look & feel.

03-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool waterfall looking effect Todd! I like the perspective of the center stone and the menacing clouds, it gives power to the image.

Last edited by Fastback67; 03-10-2013 at 07:09 AM.
03-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bart, I'm really digg'n that image... Very Cool !!!... I love the old time imagery you used here... very apropos.
03-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I recently added a compact to my camera collection so I am discovering this corner of the forum. Here is my take on this month's challenge, an effort to create a stormier feel. Initial processing in Aperture to straighten, change the crop aspect, and enhance colour and contrast. Further editing in Snapseed to selectively darken the sky, add detail and contrast and slight vignette.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EX-Z77  Photo