Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
MX-1 first impression

I've just got the MX-1 delivered to my door. I'm very excited about the camera. Just want to share some of my initial impressions after playing around with it before battery died. Did not get a chance to test out the full features yet. Battery is charging, so hopefully I can do some test shots later.

Having had the Q, *ist, K7, K5, I'm very familiar to Pentax layout. The MX would be instantly recognized as a Pentax just from the operation point of view, including the menu, which I happen to like. Non of the gimmicky stuff Sony and Olympus (E-PL5) has.

The dial feels solid, more so than the dial on my Nikon P7700. I have both, and they weigh about the same. I'd say they're constructed about the same quality (the P7700 has magnesium alloy body where as MX-1 has brass).

The shutter does NOT feel as nice and smooth as the Q. There is a distinct half press, which I do NOT like. Coming from Pro DSLR (1D, D4, etc), non of the pro DSLR has a distinct half press. That said, it's probably just as responsive as the Q. Since I have the black MX-1, i'd like a black shutter button instead of silver, but I'll take what I can get.

The buttons are small, but I kinda like it. I have no problem reaching and pressing it.

One (big) surprise is that when I begin using the camera, and tilt the camera to vertical orientation, the info panel (aperture/shutter speed read out) also flipped so it always stays at the bottom instead of on one side!!! This is absolutely brilliant! I can't think of any camera that does this.

One slight disappointment is the lack of button customization. The GRD had it, the P7700 had it, the XZ-2 had it, the Q had it. Why not MX-1. So far I've not found a way to re-assign movie record button at the top (I rarely shoot movies) and the Green button in the back. It would nice nice if I can assign it to say, ND filter on/off, aspect ratio, etc.

Will post more after some more play with it.

03-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brelip Quote
One (big) surprise is that when I begin using the camera, and tilt the camera to vertical orientation, the info panel (aperture/shutter speed read out) also flipped so it always stays at the bottom instead of on one side!!! This is absolutely brilliant! I can't think of any camera that does this.
Your K-5 can do this too, it's a menu setting.

Glad you like the MX-1 so far! It hasn't gotten much love from the community yet.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-11-2013, 07:30 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here are some sample snaps from this evening. I only shoot Raw and I set the camera to neutral profile. I like the camera gives a pretty flat look in this setting - gives me more room to post process. These are images are pretty minimally processed (color balance, evels and contrast).

03-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lovely shots, especially the middle one to my eye. I'm greatly enjoying my MX-1.

03-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Forum Member

Congrats brelip and mecrox! Yesterday night I got mine too!
I played with the menus, until the battery got exhausted
I haven't had the time to do some 'serious' shots but I expect to have time
this or the next weekend.

As this is a 'first impression' thread, I will say that I found it just a little heavier
than I thought, and that now
I know for sure that I will need a spare battery
After fully charging it and making some shots around my house, and playing again with the menus and filters,
the battery drained too fast IMO (two hours more or less)

I'm still familiarizing myself with the Pentax menus and buttons. Specially I will read the manual to know when to
use the INFO and when the MENU button. As the only difference I see, is that the INFO just give less options than
MENU

I agree in that the red and green buttons should be customizable.

Cheers!
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Glad you like the MX-1 so far! It hasn't gotten much love from the community yet.
There is love out there for this nice little camera...it just keeps getting overshadowed by everyone who is too busy comparing spec sheets
03-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing your impressions brelip. I picked up this camera last weekend and have been having a blast playing with it. Having never owned a digital compact I am not really in the position to compare it to other compacts, but as I get used to the controls and basic menu options I find I am getting more adept at quickly adjusting the features I want. I did not purchase this camera to replace my K-5 but as camera I could carry around most of the time and still be able to take advantage of photo opportunities without thinking "I wish I had my real camera with me". For that reason RAW capability was essential and I especially like the macro and close macro options because they suit my vision. However, what sold me on this camera was seeing real examples of shots taken with it (those of mecrox in particular).
03-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I just picked mine up today... home sick the last two days (hence I've been living on the forums) but the drug store is right next to the camera store... so in I went.

It's quite a bit bigger and heavier than I imagined. It feels real good though, a solid product for sure. The faux leather is great to hold and the brass plating is pretty cool. I opted for the silver model to match my silver MX. I was quite surprised to find out that the camera is very similarly sized to the aforementioned film classic. minus the prism box of course.

Batteries charging now, but I can't wait to go and do some shooting with this camera.

03-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I just picked mine up today... home sick the last two days (hence I've been living on the forums) but the drug store is right next to the camera store... so in I went.

It's quite a bit bigger and heavier than I imagined. It feels real good though, a solid product for sure. The faux leather is great to hold and the brass plating is pretty cool. I opted for the silver model to match my silver MX. I was quite surprised to find out that the camera is very similarly sized to the aforementioned film classic. minus the prism box of course.

Batteries charging now, but I can't wait to go and do some shooting with this camera.
Did you give up your Q Luke or is it just hard to say no to a new camera?
03-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
Did you give up your Q Luke or is it just hard to say no to a new camera?
Hard to say no to a camera.... I got a problem don't I?

Still got the Q. Going to get the adapter for it and use it tele style!
03-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm going to return the MX-1 I think and put the money towards the two Q zooms instead. Its just not as enjoyable as the Q to shoot with, its too big to keep with me at all times, might as well just bring the K5.

I got a few more days, ill see what I think. Its a great camera, but not sure where it fits in my personal lineup right now.
03-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'm going to return the MX-1 I think and put the money towards the two Q zooms instead. Its just not as enjoyable as the Q to shoot with, its too big to keep with me at all times, might as well just bring the K5.

I got a few more days, ill see what I think. Its a great camera, but not sure where it fits in my personal lineup right now.
That is the thing about the "enthusiast compact" class that I have a problem with. If a camera cannot fit in your pocket, why not just lug around the dslr? That is why the RX100 is so popular.
04-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got my MX-1 last week and have been having fun with it. It is a solid camera and I'm very happy with it. I was also considering the Fuji X20 and was able to see both of them side by side at a local camera shop. Both are well made fun camera, but I got the MX-1 due to the tilt screen, brass and menu system. I never liked Fuji's menu system.
05-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #14

I bought mine at the weekend. Whilst I said I wouldn't because of the lack of a viewfinder, once I'd got hold of it and realised it handles very similar to the K-5 as far as the user interface goes, it grew on me enough to buy (the recent cashback offer was another factor).

It's built well, easy to control in all modes, the screen is bright enough to view adequately in full (UK May) sun, exposure compensation is a breeze. My right thumb is often feeling for a non-existent wind-on lever. When out with the K-5 & SMC-Tak 300/4 at the weekend it allowed me to get shots I wouldn't otherwise have been able to get.

I needed a compact (my Optio S is getting a bit old now) and I wanted something I'd be happy taking anywhere. So far very happy with it.

John.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
05-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I bought one for my fiance as a birthday gift. She loves it! It looks tres chiq on her! She can spend hours with the 1 cm macro setting, shooting flowers in the garden.She mostly uses A setting and does only jpg. When I look at the photos there are some stunning macros there. The flip screen does wonders for her. The few times I'm allowed to use the camera, I'm impressed by the quality feeling (and I compare with 2 K-5s). For a compact the photo quality is high. And I don't think she cares about a custom buttons at all. She wanted a Good looking camera that is easy to use with high quality. That is MX-1 in a nutshell for her.YMMV.