Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Infrared or Utrasonic AF?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I remember I saw this lens in shops long time ago (early seventies?)
I never knew anybody owning it, and it is the first time for more than 3 years I saw it on eBay:

AUTO FOCUS 50mm f2 RIKENON PRIME LENS FOR PENTAX VERY UNUSUAL & RARE | eBay

The seller claims it can be used on digital bodies, but from the pictures I think it would fit on the K-01 only (flash may prevent mounting). It seems to use infrared distance measuring, or is it sonic like the polaroids?
Some of the Ricoh 2/50s had a reputation to match Zeiss and Leitz lenses (and being sharper than the SMC-M 1.7/50), specially used fully open and in respect to border resolution. Is this lens one of these?

03-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dunno about the glass, but I think it would be a bit later, maybe 1980~83? All the pictures I found indicate it is pre-Ricoh pin. From what I could google, the AF system is Honeywell Visitronic technology, which was not active (infrared or ultrasonic), but a passive optical system using one fixed and one moving light sensor. The moving sensor would pivot until the signals from both sensors matched, and it would calculate the range from that.
03-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you.
Eighties is possible.
I'm getting in contact with the seller to find out whether it would fit to DSLRs. And what he would charge for sending it to Germany.
And what kind of batteries it uses.

I am considering to bid. Of course it looks clumsy, but could be a cheap alternative to the FA 1.7/50.
The late Ricoh 2/50 was known to be at least as sharp.
03-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just for the record.

I asked the seller and was told there is about 6mm leeway between the box and the mount. With my K200D, the penta mirror/flash unit protrudes >14mm, so it cannot be used.
It needs 2 AA batteries.

03-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too bad - what little I found made it sound like dSLRs with long flash overhangs might have problems. Like you said, the K-01 is probably the only thing that would work. Now, that would be an interesting blocky combo!
03-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Eighties is possible
Fall of 1980, just a few months before the Pentax ME-F. The technology was a passive IR rangefinder if I remember correctly.

Steve
03-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Like you said, the K-01 is probably the only thing that would work. Now, that would be an interesting blocky combo!
I wonder if it would focus faster