Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Optio WG-2 samples

I'm an SLR guy. I like seeing through the lens and I usually focus manually, but I am missing too much when I don't have my camera with me. I needed something I could take anywhere that could take good close-up shots. The WG appears to be that camera. Here are some shots directly out of the camera (only resized). No cropping and no fiddling. For a P&S, I am happy with these results.

Orthoptera nymph on a dandelion.

Hawthorn flower. This is a small flower, similar to a plum or pear.

03-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #2

Original Poster
Thoughts on digital microscope mode

Notice the different aspect ratios of the two above images. I had not explicitly changed the setting between shots. There are three aspect ratios available, 16:9, 4:3, and 1:1. The camera was set to 7M (3072x2304 for 4:3 ratio). For the photo of the insect, I used the digital microscope capture mode. For some reason, this mode is fixed at 2M (1920x1080 for 16:9 ratio). There are a number of modes that have limitations, and some of these make sense. For example, I can understand why high-speed and slow-motion video cannot be taken at the highest resolution. There seems to be no reason to force the digital microscope mode to be at 2M, except that someone must have assumed that's what users want. I would have preferred if digital microscope mode did not change the resolution. One can still take a similar shot at a higher resolution as follows: (1) Set the resolution to anything you like, (2) turn on the LED lights from the rec menu, (3) set the focus mode to MF and move the slider all the way down to 0.01. Here's another quirk. Sometimes it does not want to let you manually focus closer than 0.1m. In this case, set the focus mode to 1cm close focus, then set it to MF. This time it will let you go all the way down to 0.01m. Again, I don't know what logic is behind sometimes limiting the MF distance. You can also use the 1cm focus mode, but that just means it will automatically focus as close as 1cm (but maybe further depending where the camera is held). Manual focus allows one to set to the closest distance then move the camera until the subject is in focus. Setting up the shot this way is not as convenient as using the digital microscope mode. When the camera is off, holding down the green button will turn on the LEDs for use as a flashlight. It would have been nice if this could also be done when the camera is on, so that the LEDs could be turned on and off without going through the menu.

I would like to know if the WG-3 behaves in the same way. Does its digital microscope mode force a lower resolution? Does the MF slider not always let you manually focus at 0.01m?
03-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Very short video sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F19Dgw0kms
03-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stay tuned for our WG-3 review to see how that camera behaves. As for the digital microscope mode, it doesn't really make any sense why Pentax reduces the resolution, though you should be able to get the same results by shooting in 1cm mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 120 fps slow-mo feature isn't too bad if you don't mind 480p res...

03-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
I like the slow-mo sample. 480p still looks good, and many of us can't stream faster than that anyway. I don't have an interesting action subject to try it on yet, but I did notice that the slow-mo feature made a smoother video when scanning a landscape from side to side (and saved time).