Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I know some people like to use the Self-Retaining lens caps. I'm not a fan though
What are your problems with them? I haven't gotten one yet but I think the little extra thickness is a bit of a problem. Plus the aesthetics.

02-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #47
Veteran Member

The three hinges (aside from looking ugly) would catch when slipping it in and out of the bag. The method of fixing it to the the lens barrel with a grub screw and the idea of the lens knocking up against three sprung flaps every time I turn the camera on, then dragging the lens barrel past three sprung flaps when switching it off doesn't make me feel comfortable. I have no problems removing the Pentax pinch cap. (Yes, initially I accidentally turned it on once without removing the cap and received the on-screen warning, but that's human nature/stupidity which we learn from. At least the designers built a cap sensor & warning into the camera)
02-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
filter adapter for MX-1

I received one today, installed it on my MX-1 and screwed in a CPL filter. It fits the camera well, leaves room for the filter when extended to full zoom, and works as advertised. A nice little upgrade for this point and shoot.

Last edited by stsimmer; 02-19-2014 at 09:40 AM.
02-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #49

A silver metal lens cap, especially in silver (for a silver MX-1 anyway) would be amazing.

Does anyone what size the lens cap is for the MX-1? I can't seem to find that answer anywhere!

02-19-2014, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am also not attracted to the self-retaining/automatic/flappy full time lens cover/cap. I will not be buying one. I did try a few lens caps from my other lenses: 49mm, 52mm, and 58mm pinch-types, a 49mm (51mm) slip-on type, and a 49mm threaded, just for kicks. Nothing fits. Not even close.

I slip the camera (vertically) in my purse when i'm not using it, and if I put the pinch-cap on "properly", with the pinchers and logo oriented horizontally, sliding it into or out of my purse pops the cap off every time. So I've just been putting the cap on so the pinchers/logo are vertically oriented with respect to the camera and I haven't had many issues since. Lens cap tether is a MUST.

For a carrying strap I just use the neck strap that was included and thread my arm through it, since I haven't committed to a wrist strap yet, but I'm still shopping.

I definitely could not do one of the full body camera cases, but I'm a chick and I get to carry a purse, so to have the camera in ANOTHER pouch is silly...

For what it's worth, the camera continues to perform spectacularly and I am consistently pleased and impressed, regardless of the dangly, pinchy, flappy things I have attached to it.
02-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I am also not attracted to the self-retaining/automatic/flappy full time lens cover/cap. I will not be buying one. I did try a few lens caps from my other lenses: 49mm, 52mm, and 58mm pinch-types, a 49mm (51mm) slip-on type, and a 49mm threaded, just for kicks. Nothing fits. Not even close.

I slip the camera (vertically) in my purse when i'm not using it, and if I put the pinch-cap on "properly", with the pinchers and logo oriented horizontally, sliding it into or out of my purse pops the cap off every time. So I've just been putting the cap on so the pinchers/logo are vertically oriented with respect to the camera and I haven't had many issues since. Lens cap tether is a MUST.

For a carrying strap I just use the neck strap that was included and thread my arm through it, since I haven't committed to a wrist strap yet, but I'm still shopping.

I definitely could not do one of the full body camera cases, but I'm a chick and I get to carry a purse, so to have the camera in ANOTHER pouch is silly...

For what it's worth, the camera continues to perform spectacularly and I am consistently pleased and impressed, regardless of the dangly, pinchy, flappy things I have attached to it.
Thanks for the info!
I saw a photo of someone's MX-1 where he stuck an old Asahi Pentax lens cap onto the MX-1 factory lens cap - it had just enough space for him to use the pinch cap properly.
I can't seem to find where I saw the photo though
02-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #52
Veteran Member

There doesn't seem to be any replacement caps for the MX-1 anywhere, all I seem to come across in searches are those horrid Self-Retaining 'cuckoo-clock' caps.
Makes you wonder what you'd do if you lost the original.

02-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #53

If only the lens cap for the Fujifilm X100 fit the MX-1
02-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Does it say PENTAX on that Fuji cap?
02-20-2014, 12:47 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Does it say PENTAX on that Fuji cap?
Actually I was thinking a 3rd party metal lens cap and then sticking a Gariz leather lens cap holder thing on :P
02-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
What are your problems with them? I haven't gotten one yet but I think the little extra thickness is a bit of a problem. Plus the aesthetics.
I picked up the self-retaining lens cap and I'm on the fence about it. I like that I don't have to worry about removing and keeping track of the lens cap. But the design does seem to let dust through to the front lens (especially for me since I typically carry it in a coat pocket.).

I'll keep using it for a few more weeks before I make my final verdict.
02-20-2014, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

You know you can just attach the cap to the body with the string provided in the package... you will never loose it .

02-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
You know you can just attach the cap to the body with the string provided in the package... you will never loose it .
DAMN! That white MX-1 is hot and sexy. Too bad I ended up with the silver-capped version.

And yes, I do hope we all know how to use the lens tether.
02-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #59
Veteran Member

DAMN! That white MX-1 is hot and sexy. Too bad I ended up with the silver-capped version.

Looks great when it's clean but I imagine it wouldn't take too long during the summer to look pretty nasty. I'm thinkng how quickly white hockey tape changes color.
02-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Looks great when it's clean but I imagine it wouldn't take too long during the summer to look pretty nasty. I'm thinkng how quickly white hockey tape changes color.
No issues with the "dirty" part.
Clean it and keep it clean. It will not change color. Is not tape and is not sticky like white hockey tape... so dirt won't just attach to it.

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-24-2014 at 09:54 AM.