Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #61
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,364
Wow, that looks neat. I must have missed that post ... how did you do that?

02-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #62
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Wow, that looks neat. I must have missed that post ... how did you do that?
Here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/247248-my-k-01-his-little-brothers.html
02-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #63
New Member
monsterbento's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: California
Posts: 22

Filter adapter & Pentax cap!
02-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #64
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71
How about using a UV protector in front of the lens? like this one

Pro 38mm DC Lens MC UV Glass Filter Protector for Fuji F75f85j250s1770s2600 | eBay

Then, say BYE BYE to the lens cap.

02-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #65
Veteran Member
jtkratzer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lancaster County, Pa
Posts: 660
QuoteOriginally posted by nzkiwi Quote
Thanks for the info!
I saw a photo of someone's MX-1 where he stuck an old Asahi Pentax lens cap onto the MX-1 factory lens cap - it had just enough space for him to use the pinch cap properly.
I can't seem to find where I saw the photo though
I think this is the post to which you're referring:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/7-pentax-compact-cameras/247934-pentax-mx...ml#post2670747
02-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #66
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,698
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.T Quote
How about using a UV protector in front of the lens? like this one

Pro 38mm DC Lens MC UV Glass Filter Protector for Fuji F75f85j250s1770s2600 | eBay

Then, say BYE BYE to the lens cap.
Do you know for sure that this particular protector will fit on the MX-1 lens? This looks like a good solution if it will work. And since it's so cheap, I guess it's worth a try
02-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #67
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Do you know for sure that this particular protector will fit on the MX-1 lens? This looks like a good solution if it will work. And since it's so cheap, I guess it's worth a try
not sure. I sent an email to the seller asking about the actual dimension of the metal or plastic border, but haven't got reply yet.

Last edited by Steve.T; 02-23-2014 at 01:25 PM.
02-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #68
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 15
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Cheers

02-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #69
Veteran Member
jtkratzer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lancaster County, Pa
Posts: 660
QuoteOriginally posted by nzkiwi Quote
Cheers

Saw the posts on that thread a couple minutes ago. I'm interested to see what you come up with.
02-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #70
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.T Quote
How about using a UV protector in front of the lens? like this one

Pro 38mm DC Lens MC UV Glass Filter Protector for Fuji F75f85j250s1770s2600 | eBay

Then, say BYE BYE to the lens cap.
Will be a waste of money... UV filters are pointless on digital cameras.
02-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #71
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,248
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Will be a waste of money... UV filters are pointless on digital cameras.
Agreed. The MX-1 lens is excellent and sharp, why cover it with some potentially inferior glass to shoot through which may scatter photons all over the place and ruin the IQ. Besides, my understanding is that they were developed for film, not digital.
02-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #72
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,698
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Agreed. The MX-1 lens is excellent and sharp, why cover it with some potentially inferior glass to shoot through which may scatter photons all over the place and ruin the IQ. Besides, my understanding is that they were developed for film, not digital.
You've convinced me to skip this accessory.
02-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #73
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Agreed. The MX-1 lens is excellent and sharp, why cover it with some potentially inferior glass to shoot through which may scatter photons all over the place and ruin the IQ. Besides, my understanding is that they were developed for film, not digital.
I would call it a lens protector rather than a UV filter. The idea is to throw away the original lens cap. Taking off the cap before pressing ON button every time is very inconvenient.

It's like the glass cover in front of a cellphone's camera.
02-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #74
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,248
Protect if from what? Carelessness?
Problem is, if you smash a filter the glass shards are likely to scratch your lens.

QuoteQuote:
Taking off the cap before pressing ON button every time is very inconvenient.
Come on, it's all part of using a camera - enjoy the experience
02-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #75
Site Supporter
skism's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 131
old asahi cap

QuoteOriginally posted by nzkiwi Quote
Thanks for the info!
I saw a photo of someone's MX-1 where he stuck an old Asahi Pentax lens cap onto the MX-1 factory lens cap - it had just enough space for him to use the pinch cap properly.
I can't seem to find where I saw the photo though


That would be me, and here's the photo again. As I said in the other thread, it's a vain little exercise, but it does look rather nice! I find people are often really impressed when they see the Mx1 in person, they notice it and want to have a closer look.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
digital camera, pentax cameras, point and shoot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MX-1 First Impressions Adam Pentax Compact Cameras 70 12-18-2013 07:02 PM
accesories for kx...any kits? sergysergy Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 01-06-2011 04:58 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS: K10D w/ Accesories, FA 50mm f/1.4, DA 18-55mm nlphoto Sold Items 6 04-12-2008 10:40 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top