Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I am also not attracted to the self-retaining/automatic/flappy full time lens cover/cap. I will not be buying one. I did try a few lens caps from my other lenses: 49mm, 52mm, and 58mm pinch-types, a 49mm (51mm) slip-on type, and a 49mm threaded, just for kicks. Nothing fits. Not even close.

I slip the camera (vertically) in my purse when i'm not using it, and if I put the pinch-cap on "properly", with the pinchers and logo oriented horizontally, sliding it into or out of my purse pops the cap off every time. So I've just been putting the cap on so the pinchers/logo are vertically oriented with respect to the camera and I haven't had many issues since. Lens cap tether is a MUST.

For a carrying strap I just use the neck strap that was included and thread my arm through it, since I haven't committed to a wrist strap yet, but I'm still shopping.

I definitely could not do one of the full body camera cases, but I'm a chick and I get to carry a purse, so to have the camera in ANOTHER pouch is silly...

For what it's worth, the camera continues to perform spectacularly and I am consistently pleased and impressed, regardless of the dangly, pinchy, flappy things I have attached to it.
I did get one of those self-retaining, flappy lens covers. It broke after a few uses and I don't think it did a good job keeping dust off the front lens element. The worst part is that now that it is on...I can't get it off. I've been pulling as hard as I dare but it won't budge.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

03-19-2014, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also purchased this case and the fit is very good. After the camera is inserted just enough of a gap remains to slip the wrist strap into the case instead of leaving it dangling outside. The vibe is pure 60's nostalgia trip. It's not leather and upon close inspection it really doesn't look much like leather; it certainly doesn't feel like leather, and it most certainly won't wear like leather. Having said that, though, I'm not sure many of these types of cases in the 60's were real leather either; sort of makes it even more of an authentic recreation.

I'm thinking I'll see how it works out and, if I become attached to it, I'll take it to a tanner an see if she/he can use it as a template for a custom full grain leather version (I would ask to have added an interior sleeve for an extra battery and memory card).
Attached Images

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 03-22-2014 at 08:45 AM.
03-20-2014, 05:28 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Is the case one of the Chinese eBay specials? I saw some similar cases there claiming to be real leather.

Last edited by jtkratzer; 03-20-2014 at 06:31 AM.
03-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Is the case one of the Chinese eBay specials? I saw some similar cases there claiming to be real leather.
I would assume that any cases claiming to be real leather would be priced accordingly-- upwards of at least $50 or more. If the case is less than $20, it is probably not real leather...

I just ordered the same case as @MD Optofonik -- it looks great! I am a bit worried that the included hand strap won't be very good-- that is, not as good as a Gordy's strap or a Footprint camera hand strap -- but it may be good enough.

03-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #95
Inactive Account

Who cares if it's cow or not. Cam is well protected in this one, with nice felt lining and a bonus wrist strap. There used to be several sellers of this style case, but now that's the last one & I think they're selling off stock now that MX-1 is discontinued/close-out. Nicely made for $16 delivered!
03-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I edited my post to be more obvious. The product descriptions for the cases on Ebay and the cases on Amazon usually describe them as "PU Leather."

Anything that isn't described as "full grain leather" (i.e, "genuine", "real", "split") is some sort of cheap alternative. These days many people who go for something made of "full grain leather" for the first time are a bit taken aback when they realize just how much break-in is involved before a full grain leather product becomes supple, then, just how much maintenance is required to keep it that way. It's another sign that most people can't recognize a quality product when they encounter one and, more disturbing, consider it's superior qualities a drawback.

Here's Wikapedia's explanation of "PU Leather"
QuoteQuote:
Bicast leather (also known as bycast leather or PU leather, sometimes described as split leather) is a material made with a split leather backing covered with a layer of polyurethane (hence the term PU leather) that is applied to the surface and then embossed. Because it is only used for the backing, the leather portion of this material is generally not visible in finished goods made from Bicast. Bicast was originally made for the apparel industry for glossy shoes, and recently was adopted by the furniture industry. The resulting product has an artificially consistent texture that is easier to clean and maintain, as is the case with most plastic materials.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 03-22-2014 at 09:12 AM.
03-24-2014, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #97

Got my Gariz leather lens cap holder for the Fujifilm X100/X100S replacement lens cap I posted about earlier.

The colour is just slightly redder than the leather case, but it's close enough that you can't really tell unless you're looking at it close up.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 4  Photo 
03-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #98

Filters for MX-1 (?)

Hey everyone,

I'm a brand new member, soon-to-be MX-1 owner and especially interested in the possibility of using a polarizing filter.

In relation to Amoon's previous post inquiring about the 58 mm filter adapter, I was wondering the following:

1. Has anyone found any other filter solution for the MX-1? I found a kit by KiwiFotos (sold on Amazon; perhaps the same one to which Amoon was referring), but I'm not sure how it works. Here's the link:

?(1) 58mm Lens Adapter LA-58MX1 (Qty1) Made of black anodized aluminum the KIWIFOTOS LA-58MX1 lens adapter is designed for attaching optional accessories to the Pentax MX-1 digital Camera. This adapter provides a 58MM filter mount for adding effect f

2. Would any filter adapter inherently demand that the camera body be permanently modified (glue, screws, etc.)?

3. Lastly -- and excuse my ignorance here -- if I just held up a polarizing filter (or screen) right against the edge of the lens rim (without touching the glass, of course), would that work?

Thank you all for your helpful input on this website. You helped me seal the deal on my MX-1, which should be arriving in the mail any day.

BTW: I have enjoyed seeing your MX-1 photos on Flickr (i-Trax, severalsnakes, etc.)

Regards from Barcelona, Spain,

Jheryus
03-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jheryus Quote
3. Lastly -- and excuse my ignorance here -- if I just held up a polarizing filter (or screen) right against the edge of the lens rim (without touching the glass, of course), would that work?
Yes...
04-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used the MX-1 for the Single in April challege and before the month began, I bought a wrist strap here:

Black Red Camera Nikon Canon Sony Wrist Strap Lanyard High Quality | eBay

It is light weight, low profile, quite strong and attractive! Waited until the month was out to solidly recommend it, since I wanted to verify how sturdy it could be. Not to mention it is cheap AND the seller features 100% Pentax cameras in his ad. :-) Match made in heaven!
05-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #101
Pentaxian

I have used the MX-1 for the Single in April challege and before the month began, I bought a wrist strap here: Black Red Camera Nikon Canon Sony Wrist Strap Lanyard High Quality | eBay It is light weight, low profile, quite strong and attractive! Waited until the month was out to solidly recommend it, since I wanted to verify how sturdy it could be. Not to mention it is cheap AND the seller features 100% Pentax cameras in his ad. :-) Match made in heaven!
Thanks, Sara. I will probably get one of these because it's so damn cheap and based on your recommendation. I noticed that the seller used Pentax cameras in the pictures-- looks like a K-5 and a Q. Just wonder why the seller didn't include the Pentax name in the product title...
05-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #102
Pentaxian

It is light weight, low profile, quite strong and attractive! Waited until the month was out to solidly recommend it, since I wanted to verify how sturdy it could be. Not to mention it is cheap AND the seller features 100% Pentax cameras in his ad. :-) Match made in heaven!
Just got this wrist strap and it is indeed everything you said. Looks nice, functional with the wood ball wrist size adjuster, and inexpensive! I like that because it's so low profile and small, I can easily put the camera inside the case I bought and the strap no longer is hard to fit in there...
05-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great! I'm glad! :-) (Not that it is my product, nor do I even know this guy...)

I know what you mean about being able to fit it inside a case with the wrist strap. Those leather ones are cool looking, but too bulky if I wanted to put the camera in my purse or pocket, so this flexible, narrow nylon job was preferable to me.
05-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Here are some pictures of my MX-1 with the new cheap strap from eBay ($3), and a highly recommended stick-on FlipBac G4 grip ($11 from B&H)-- the grip essentially fixes the problem of the right shoulder strap lug digging into my middle finger when shooting, and it also makes it easier to handle the camera with just one hand.

05-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #105
Veteran Member

I'd never trust a stick-on finger grip. It will almost certainly come off one day, perhaps while gripping it resulting in losing the camera to gravity.